Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How can you stay warm when...

How can you stay warm when...

• Total voters

Aladdin

The electricity is rationed / cut off this winter
Natural gas gets rationed/ cut off this winter
You cant burn coal, wood or other fossil fuels where you live.

Joey-wearing-all-of-Chandlers-clothes-1200x815.jpg

has you house not got a fireplace sugar kane

Get some brikets :cool:

smells nice to

They're being phased out this year.

I love a turf fire...but its not allowed in cities.

The octogenarians have 2 gas fires.
I'm trying to persuade them to replace one of them with a logburner.

Reactions: Ax^
My daughter's fiance who is both an engineer and one of your countrymen (which may or may not be significant) suggested connecting a portable generator to a pump and connecting it to the tap. Then he could run water through the pump and effectively steal electric off the water board. I think he was joking but sometimes I think I don't know that boy as well as I think I do.

I don't think domestic gas will get cut off. The reason being if domestic gas is cut off it can cause problems as pilot lights go out and air can get into the system.
I believe they're cut off industry first. Then generation, finally domestic. (I believe this is the correct order, but I might be wrong)

I've purchased an Inverter and I deep-cycle Lead Acid battery. This is to power the boiler control circuits, as I reckon if there are problems then rolling electrical blackouts rather than domestic gas shortages.
I also have 2 UPS a small one for the TV, Sky box, DVD just to prevent short 1 second or so black-outs from frying the electronics and a larger one for Computer and ADSL gateway.

I yes I know I'm over-prepared, but that's the way I roll 😎

This is all a bit prepper isn't it?

Yeah, a little bit, but I don't have a big fuck off gun, or even a little fuck off gun and I'm not a right-wing nut which seems to go hand-in-hand with American Preppers.

I'm also in a semi rural area, and the power supply from 33kV all the way down to 240V is on overhead poles and lots of trees to fall on the lines.

No option for log-burners ? Timber is a renewable resource.

My log-burner ain't an open fire, it will burn seasoned or green wood [and coal at a push, but don't have access to any of that]

And I've been growing my own trees over the past two decades, at least.
I'm only just starting to thin out already dead trees [planted out expecting a certain % to die] before starting to fell the weaker survivors, and I still will not be at that expected % when I've done that.

We have tanked LPG for some cooking, central heating and hot water.
With the recent stupidly high price rises for LPG, we've been working on alternatives and economising ...

I have a lurcher and an open fire. Kerosene is up to nearly 70p/ l, so not ideal.

But, in lean times, I do what my mother used to do. Make a cosy nest in the bedroom. Ideally have an alternative daytime nest in another room. Keep all doors closed. Have curtains or other fabric that you can put against the windows in your cosy nest rooms. Have one or two of those oil filled plug-in radiators that you can switch on 2 hours before you’ll need their warmth. Be active or sleeping. Wear an extra jumper.

I have a lurcher and an open fire. Kerosene is up to nearly 70p/ l, so not ideal.

But, in lean times, I do what my mother used to do. Make a cosy nest in the bedroom. Ideally have an alternative daytime nest in another room. Keep all doors closed. Have curtains or other fabric that you can put against the windows in your cosy nest rooms. Have one or two of those oil filled plug-in radiators that you can switch on 2 hours before you’ll need their warmth. Be active or sleeping. Wear an extra jumper.

I've plenty thermals.
And if the electricity is not cut and gas cut off we would be fine.
It's when the electricity is cut off that I'm most worried about.
The governement and electric Ireland are saying there will be cuts because 2 of the power plants are closing. And the wind energy created is not enough to beidge3the gap.

If electricity goes...we have gas for cooking and heating.
Thermals.
Wooly jumpers.
Layers...all grand.
And we can stay in the kitchen and sittingroom.

The concern would be that gas is cut at the same time as electricity.

In that case there wont be any heating. And it'll be bloody awful.

Back
Top Bottom