Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

(Horse) racecourses

planetgeli

There's no future in England's dreaming
There seems to be a few racing fans here so I thought I'd give this a go. I was looking at the BHA website this morning and realized I'd visited 17 of the 59 racecourses in Britain. The number would probably be higher but I'm really only into NH racing and in particular I like the smaller, more intimate courses. I'll offer a list of those I've visited and pick a few favourites - and some less so.

Roughly from the south heading up;
Newton Abbot
Taunton
Fontwell Park
Brighton
Plumpton
Sandown Park
Kempton Park
Chepstow
Ffos Las
Cheltenham
Fakenham
Huntingdon
Towcester
Stratford Upon Avon
Ludlow
Aintree
Cartmel

And of those;
Cartmel - undoubted favourite, ridiculously hidden away in a tiny beautiful village, a logistical nightmare for any trainer just to get his/her horse in.
Plumpton - another favourite, small and right next to the railway station
Fakenham - possibly the smallest track? You can certainly see all the way around, without binoculars.
Ffos Las - now my local track, decent enough.
Newton Abbot - Lost more money here in one evening than I care to remember. Nice track in a small town though.
Sandown Park - my favourite 'big' (in status) course.
Huntingdon - Flat, boring but local to where I grew up (kind of). First one I visited.
Aintree - Couldn't believe how small the fences looked. Major disappointment.
Cheltenham - Does the sun ever shine? Does the freezing wind ever stop?
Chepstow - See Cheltenham, but without any glamour attached.
Fontwell Park - Figure of 8? Right hand, left hand? Whose idea was that? Expensive for what it is, crap facilities. Avoid.

I'd be particularly interested in others views, especially of the northern tracks I have no experience of. Where is good to go? Where isn't? Ascot always looks good on the telly...

Although Flat, Chester is wonderful course bordered bt the Dee. Really compact and a great view. Lovely town and welcoming.

Added bonus;- the football club best stand is the East Stand so the postal address is England rather than Wales.

Goodwood is worth a visit! I also quite like Lingfield as its easy to get to, right by the train station.

Avoid Hereford at all costs. (If its even still open!)

Back
Top Bottom