Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Higgs Triangle Loughborough Junction redevelopment

My. Isn't this wonderful.

219-coldharbour-0.jpg

Plans in: 5 Storey, 9 Flat Scheme in Loughborough Junction
Three more trees than there are there at present.

Anyone know what's going on with this? Work seems to have halted with the site in a semi-demolished state
LJAG's website put up a press release from Family Housing Group a long time ago:
"Family Mosaic are delighted to announce the acquisition of a new site in Lambeth as part of a large-scale redevelopment of the area. The site located at Herne Hill Road was acquired from Parritt Leng in August 2015.

The site, with construction due to complete in the spring of 2018, was purchased with planning permission granted, with Parritt Leng as the appointed architects for the development.

The mixed-tenure development will comprise of 115 new homes, 53 of which will be made available for private sale, 27 for Shared Ownership and a further 35 socially rented homes.

At Higgs Estate there will be a selection of 1, 2 and 3 bed homes available through social rent whilst Shared Ownership will comprise of one and two bed properties and Private Sale will comprise of two and three bedroom homes.

Jeffrey Ruffels, Head of Land at Family Mosaic comments, ‘This is a great opportunity to develop a significant scheme in one of Family Mosaic’s most established boroughs and regenerate the local area with a high quality scheme’"

I expect you knew that. You could contact Jeffrey Ruffels who is still there.
Or maybe better still ask teuchter - who seems to be MC on this thread.

That's interesting CH1, good spy work. They are only offering part of the site. If someone bought that they'd not be able to make use of the existing planning permission (unless they also bought the remainder of the site).

I've not heard any further gossip about that site.

Notably Firezza Pizza have recently vacated the Hardess estate (on the other side of the viaduct). Don't know if that's because they had their lease terminated or just decided to get out because of uncertainty about what's going to happen with it. The steelworkers also left a little while ago.

This is from Family Mosaic's press office re the Higgs Estate site (after some perseverance; the first reply I received was of a generic 'mind your own business' nature)

I have sought more detail regarding the site and can advise that Family Mosaic are in the process of acquiring further parcels of land on the site as the company owning the land has gone into receivership. As such, we are now progressing a new planning application. We will be carrying out public consultation with local residents on the new proposals in the spring and would welcome your feedback during that time.
I guess the implication of this is that the administrator has split the land up into smaller sites for sale, but it's hard to tell without knowing who the administrator is

Actually after pondering this more, I'm not sure the implications are clear at all. Didn't Family Mosaic purchase the whole site from Parritt Leng, as originally stated? Who are the now-bankrupt company owning the land if not FM? Or perhaps they are trying to buy out the church and at the same time sell off a chunk of land at the opposite end of the site?

Spring is hopefully not too far off so I guess we will find out soon enough

Actually after pondering this more, I'm not sure the implications are clear at all. Didn't Family Mosaic purchase the whole site from Parritt Leng, as originally stated? Who are the now-bankrupt company owning the land if not FM? Or perhaps they are trying to buy out the church and at the same time sell off a chunk of land at the opposite end of the site?

Spring is hopefully not too far off so I guess we will find out soon enough
It costs £3 for a Land Registry certificate and a further £3 for a plan.
So guess we could find out - but it might cost £6 or a multiple of £6.
Not sure I am that nosey! Maybe we could persuade LJAG to check it out. With their previous contacts built up opposing the prevcious planning aspplication they might be able to give us the story without having to pay anything at all.

Yeah, I don't understand either. You'd think FM would only have bought the full site, otherwise whoever owns the remaining parcels (eg like the one advertised for sale in CH1's link) would hold them to ransom. Unless they are talking about the church site. Or even the adjacent sites (eg the Hardess industrial estate or the sites bordering on Hinton Rd)? There was talk in the past of a possible longer term plan to try and develop these sites together.

More fun ahead if they are going to go for a new planning permission. Are Lambeth going to manage to get the masterplan in place before that, so that their application can be assessed against it and maybe create some hope for something coherent resulting? Who knows; the masterplan seems to have been mothballed as far as I can work out.

It costs £3 for a Land Registry certificate and a further £3 for a plan.
So guess we could find out - but it might cost £6 or a multiple of £6.
Not sure I am that nosey! Maybe we could persuade LJAG to check it out. With their previous contacts built up opposing the prevcious planning aspplication they might be able to give us the story without having to pay anything at all.

That weirdly shaped bit of land is currently owned by Loughborough Triangle Projects Ltd, which is in liquidation according to Companies House. The mortgagee in possession is by the looks of it Family Mosaic Home Ownership Limited and Family Mosaic Housing Services Ltd - they have the registered charge. You can download the mortgage deed here fwiw (it's a 3rd party mortgage making it more complicated - there are a whole load of companies involved): Charge

The whole site is a patchwork of title numbers, crosslinked by deeds and restrictions as far as I can tell. I'm not surprised the whole thing's got stuck in the mire.

Makes me fucking angry that they take a perfectly functioning light industry estate and turn it into a wasteland to no f*ucking purpose.

Some more digging on Companies House (which is free) might reveal more. I'll try when I have some time.

e2a: looks like Loughborough Triangle Projects is/was 50% owned by some part of the Parritt Leng Group. It might be that FM perhaps never actually bought (any part of?) the site, maybe just optioned it in some way (possibly to avoid stamp duty in the case of a failure to complete the project, as has apparently happened).

LTP managed to run up a £1.8m unpaid tax bill in the 3 years of operation, which is pretty impressive going. That looks like it will be written off, as the only asset is the land, which is charged to the FM companies. They never filed accounts so I can't see what they got for that charge. On the surface of it it has the smell of a tax avoidance setup (buy an asset, charge it to another company to take it out of the asset net, fail to pay your taxes, go bust with nothing, taxman gets nothing but the asset is safe). But I can't immediately see a connection between LTP and FM that would make that make sense.

Last edited:
Via LJAG mailing list:

Higgs Industrial Estate

LJAG met with Jeffrey Ruffels, the Land Director of Family Mosaic, the housing association that now owns the Higgs Industrial Estate.
The news is that Family Mosaic has gone back to the drawing board and will be submitting a new planning application for the site. It is now in pre-planning talks with Lambeth council and will be consulting on its new proposals at the end of May or in early June before submitting a planning application.
The housing association, which is currently merging with another housing association, Peabody, hopes to get planning permission before Christmas and start on site in spring 2018 with completion in 2020. Architects PRP have been appointed PRP / PRP

PRP are same architects as doing Thrayle House next to the skate park in Stockwell.

1030_Skate-Park-View-1-Night-_3C_.376405fa.jpg

They'll be working to Family Mosaic's brief of course, and it's them who will set targets for density and so on. But probably best not to hope for something of significantly lower density or height than the previous scheme.

If anyone fancies writing an update on this for Buzz, it might be a good way to let more locals know what's going on.

PRP are same architects as doing Thrayle House next to the skate park in Stockwell.

1030_Skate-Park-View-1-Night-_3C_.376405fa.jpg

They'll be working to Family Mosaic's brief of course, and it's them who will set targets for density and so on. But probably best not to hope for something of significantly lower density or height than the previous scheme.

It's impressive to see that Brixton has now such a pull that the person in that car has driven all the way from America to be here.

If it's Family Mosaic HA, will these therefore be social housing, or shared ownership or private or a combo (no hidden agenda behind this question, honest)?

If it's social housing it is likely to be on the new "affordable" rents. I know that relets on existing property are being changed to the new "affordable" rents. With existing tenants being still on social rent. So increasing two tiers of tenants.

If it's social housing it is likely to be on the new "affordable" rents. I know that relets on existing property are being changed to the new "affordable" rents. With existing tenants being still on social rent. So increasing two tiers of tenants.
I think the current national policy for council and housing association provision is for new-build to be mixed developments.

Higgs could end up like Barrington Lodge the nearly completed block on the corner of Barrington Road and St James's Crescent. That seems to be about 100 units split between "affordable rented" and shared ownership.

My recollection of the previous Higgs proposal was it was 159 units - so I expect if it stays like that, or even increases, then some full price for sale might be expected to contribute towards the "viability" of the project.

So is anything going on with this now? It all seems very quiet as of late...
This came up at the LJAG AGM.
Apparently Family Mosaic/Peabdoy are still working on the plans.
It was said that Family had tried to negotiate an alternative location for Sureway International Ministry but the church had not agreed to anything.
So as the NHS says - we now enter a period of Watchful Waiting.

Seems that Indigo Planning have now taken on consultation round the development of this site.
Maybe there might be an exhibition coming up - and maybe LJAG have more information on the matter?

Cautionary note (from their website)
"We recently secured consent for comprehensive, mixed-use redevelopment of the iconic Tolworth Tower complex, on London’s A3 trunk road."

Seems what was an iconic Tower in the 1980s will soon be even more iconic!

Back
Top Bottom