Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Higgs Triangle Loughborough Junction redevelopment

I doubt it I'm afraid, they were already lined up for the project during the planning stage as far as I understand. I assume you mean family mosaic.

I doubt it I'm afraid, they were already lined up for the project during the planning stage as far as I understand. I assume you mean family mosaic.
Yes Family Mosaic.

The LJAG spokesperson quite rightly made an issue about that corner at the planning committee.

Family Mosaic doesn't own the corner site though. The church owns it so it's up to them whether they relocate. But the plan for that site was for them to remain there (and presumably make a nice little profit as part of the deal to redevelop the space above them).

Family Mosaic doesn't own the corner site though. The church owns it so it's up to them whether they relocate. But the plan for that site was for them to remain there (and presumably make a nice little profit as part of the deal to redevelop the space above them).
This is where redevelopment is illogical and - betrays the flip-flopping of local councils between strategic paralysis (when it comes to other people's developments) and Stalinist ruthlessness when it comes to their own.

A church which acquired their building cheaply because it was at the time an unoccupied industrial building is allowed to dominate the aesthetic and health and safety of Loughborough Junction for the next 100 years - on the grounds that nobody is responsible for arriving at a more suitable solution. And that such a solution might cost money in terms of acceptable inducements/compensation.

Meanwhile people who are council tenants or leaseholders e.g. on the Heygate estate were moved out apparently without suitable compensation in many cases - and Lambeth now planning the same treatment for Cressingham Gardens, Central Hill and several other estate regenerations, and Southwark on the Aylesbury.

Actually with regard to the Sureway building - presumably a bit more housing, for Family Mosaic, would enable them to pay out the church? It would certainly look a whole lot more appropriate for the site.

Yes I agree - sorting out that corner would make a huge difference to LJ. At least the designs that got planning permission were a bit better than those originally submitted - one of the few elements of the scheme that the planning process managed to improve a bit.

I wonder how profitable the church is and how important its location is to it. That would on obviously effect how easy it would be to pay it out.

I wonder how profitable the church is and how important its location is to it. That would on obviously effect how easy it would be to pay it out.
You are right in your paragraph 1.

Profitability of the church. I nosily downloaded 5 years of their accounts from the Charity Commission, who state that the latest accounts are qualified - though I could not see reference to this in the accounts themselves. Maybe the Charity Commission did not like the accounts being 37 days late, or possible the fact that the last 4 years of account have all been late?

There has been a bank mortgage on the property. Back in 2010 £125,000 was outstanding though it has been paid down and there is no mortgage outstanding at the moment.

Total salary costs were £80,000 in calendar year 2014, and no employee earned more than £50,000 - so that gives you a ball park for the minister's pay.

The accounts show income of about £320,00 (page 9) and expenditure of £315,000 (page 11).
Charity overview

The church also owns Sureway Christian Enterprise - a dormant company registered at Companies House. Sureway Christian Enterprise appears never to have traded since being founded in 2003. There are 2 officers of the company, both also trustees of the church - the minister, who lives in Croydon, and the secretary, who lives in Abbey Wood.

On a (slightly) related issue, today I went past the Parritt Leng residential development on Camberwell Road (former National Builders Merchants).

Work is progressing quickly, but it has been rebadged as "Fabrick" - which I believe was a firm involved in building the two recent blocks on the corner of Lilford Road and Coldharbour Lane.

The Camberwell Rd site looks a much denser development than Coldharbour Lane though.

On a (slightly) related issue, today I went past the Parritt Leng residential development on Camberwell Road (former National Builders Merchants).

Work is progressing quickly, but it has been rebadged as "Fabrick" - which I believe was a firm involved in building the two recent blocks on the corner of Lilford Road and Coldharbour Lane.

The Camberwell Rd site looks a much denser development than Coldharbour Lane though.

Interesting. 'Fabrik' is one of the development arms of Notting Hill Housing Trust, another housing association like Family Mosaic. So it looks like Parrit Leng have / are divesting their assets to associations - not necessarily a bad thing. Do people know if the development that it looks like is now going ahead at Higgs is the same one that was agreed second time around by Lambeth's Palnning Committe last year, or did a new / revised application go in? I was up to date with all this but have been out of the loop for a bit

thanks

No new applications, or revisions to the existing one, have gone in to the best of my knowledge, so at the moment if they build anything it'll be the one approved last year.

There were two separate approvals though, one for the corner site and one for the remaining (larger) portion of the Higgs estate. They can build either or both. They can go ahead with the bigger one by itself (I think) which would mean no change to the corner opposite the train station.

Interesting. 'Fabrik' is one of the development arms of Notting Hill Housing Trust, another housing association like Family Mosaic. So it looks like Parrit Leng have / are divesting their assets to associations - not necessarily a bad thing. Do people know if the development that it looks like is now going ahead at Higgs is the same one that was agreed second time around by Lambeth's Palnning Committe last year, or did a new / revised application go in? I was up to date with all this but have been out of the loop for a bit

thanks

Fabrick was a marketing name used by Notting Hill for the site round the corner, I'm not aware of it being an "arm" of NHHG. Fabrica are A2Dominion's private sale and shared ownership entity (currently redeveloping Keybridge House on South Lambeth Road), but I'm not aware of them having any involvement in this site. It might just be that Parrit Leng's demo contractors found a job lot of pre-used hoardings and have pressed them into service to save a few quid.

Fabrick was a marketing name used by Notting Hill for the site round the corner, I'm not aware of it being an "arm" of NHHG. Fabrica are A2Dominion's private sale and shared ownership entity (currently redeveloping Keybridge House on South Lambeth Road), but I'm not aware of them having any involvement in this site. It might just be that Parrit Leng's demo contractors found a job lot of pre-used hoardings and have pressed them into service to save a few quid.
Are you saying that the hoardings on Camberwell Road are recycled?
Commendable if so - but they look too pristine for that.

Whilst looking for stuff on Higgs & Parrit Leng, just foumd this Land acquired for 82-home scheme in Camberwell | FABRICA

LJAG are claiming Parrit Leng have been "sacked" by Family Mosaic.
Sounds to me like a bit of spin. Parrit Leng claimed in local LJAG public meetings to be all-in-one builders and developers with links to affordable housing providers.

But Higgs looked a bit mundane compared with the stuff they have promoted on their website - a new Curzon Cinema for Hoxton and a new football stadium for Everton to name but two.

Seems to me that Parritt Leng were nimble small developers with big ideas in for a quick turn because they always needed bigger partners/clients to realise their schemes.

Here is LJAG's informational - which I would take with a pinch of salt - and it adds a further question over the demolition. How did that happen then?

Higgs development - Parritt Leng sacked

The Higgs Industrial Estate on Herne Hill Road is now owned by housing association Family Mosaic. LJAG has spoken to Mike Fawcett, Family Mosaic’s regional development director who has informed us that Family Mosaic has terminated its design and build contract with Parritt Leng (now renamed JVPB). The housing association is now in the process of selecting a new contractor who will implement the current planning permission and hopes to start work as soon as possible.
The current demolition was not authorised and Family Mosaic has now taken action to make sure the site is safe and has installed on site security.
Mike Fawcett from Family Mosaic says the housing association will be happy to meet with local people once a new contractor has been appointed and demolition is about to begin.
In the meantime please email us at ljactiongroup@gmail.com if there are other questions you would like us to put to Family Mosaic.

What isn't at all clear from the Family Mosaic press release is what is happening about the workshop / commercial units, which are an integral part of the planning permission (and a replacement at least in part for losing MDM as a local employer). I haven't compared the number of home and breakdown iof affordability and tenures with what the Planning Committee eventually agreed, but would be worth doing so (I'll try to find documentation)

Reactions: CH1
What isn't at all clear from the Family Mosaic press release is what is happening about the workshop / commercial units, which are an integral part of the planning permission (and a replacement at least in part for losing MDM as a local employer). I haven't compared the number of home and breakdown iof affordability and tenures with what the Planning Committee eventually agreed, but would be worth doing so (I'll try to find documentation)
Had you seen this link (which I have only just discovered)

http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/files/casestudy-loughboroughjunction.pdf

Looks like the Higgs site was part of a much bigger scheme involving the bit where the squatters got evicted from the other day corner of Coldharbour Lane/Hinton Road.
Anybody know any more? Obviously the Higgs bit is all clear to buid since planning permission was granted. I had not noticed planning permission for the other bits. When I went to the pre-planning public consultation in the Junction the plans on view there looked different in style from Higgs. So not sure that the site owner was even the same - and no mention at all of Parrit Leng.

Looks like the Higgs site was part of a much bigger scheme involving the bit where the squatters got evicted from the other day corner of Coldharbour Lane/Hinton Road.
Anybody know any more? Obviously the Higgs bit is all clear to buid since planning permission was granted. I had not noticed planning permission for the other bits. When I went to the pre-planning public consultation in the Junction the plans on view there looked different in style from Higgs. So not sure that the site owner was even the same - and no mention at all of Parrit Leng.
That is one of the most interesting things I've seen on these boards for a while. Certainly joins a few dots. Good work.

That's interesting. It doesn't include the site(s) on the Hinton Rd/Coldharbour Lane corner though. Those are the ex bed shop and the building to the E of it on CHL.

It does include the Hardess St industrial estate and the scrap yard which I had previously heard Parrit Leng had an interestung.

It also includes the car wash place on hinton rd though. This would allow a potential link between Hinton Rd and the Higgs site if they were developed in conjunction.

That's interesting. It doesn't include the site(s) on the Hinton Rd/Coldharbour Lane corner though. Those are the ex bed shop and the building to the E of it on CHL.

It does include the Hardess St industrial estate and the scrap yard which I had previously heard Parrit Leng had an interestung.

It also includes the car wash place on hinton rd though. This would allow a potential link between Hinton Rd and the Higgs site if they were developed in conjunction.
So you think it unlikely that the bed shop is now incorporated into the development site?

Seemed to me the other day there was a certain synchronised quality to goings on on both sites. But there again two lots of builders dressed like George Osborne on campaign must happen on adjacent sites from time to time just by serendipity.

So you think it unlikely that the bed shop is now incorporated into the development site?

Seemed to me the other day there was a certain synchronised quality to goings on on both sites. But there again two lots of builders dressed like George Osborne on campaign must happen on adjacent sites from time to time just by serendipity.
All I can say is that the bed shop site is not inside the red line drawn on the diagram in that pdf.

Back
Top Bottom