Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Just found out that Mr Norton the dentist at the top of the hill has retired NOOOO! arrgghh!

I'm very afraid of dental treatment. I liked Mr Norton and had been with him since 30years + before I moved to HH. I dread getting used to a new dentist.

Has anyone used Mr Norton's replacement?

Has anyone used the Smile dentists? are they still accepting NHS patients - I see they say something about nervous patients treatments - is it true, has anyone experience of them? or any other local dentists?

Just found out that Mr Norton the dentist at the top of the hill has retired NOOOO! arrgghh!

I'm very afraid of dental treatment. I liked Mr Norton and had been with him since 30years + before I moved to HH. I dread getting used to a new dentist.

Has anyone used Mr Norton's replacement?

Has anyone used the Smile dentists? are they still accepting NHS patients - I see they say something about nervous patients treatments - is it true, has anyone experience of them? or any other local dentists?

I have used the one with the yellow frontage opposite the Half Moon for many years. Always excellent, though they recently refused me NHS treatment because I hadn't been in for 3 years. No warning, just taken off the list. They seem to have a very long waiting list to reregister for nhs service.

I have used the one with the yellow frontage opposite the Half Moon for many years. Always excellent, though they recently refused me NHS treatment because I hadn't been in for 3 years. No warning, just taken off the list. They seem to have a very long waiting list to reregister for nhs service.
I use them too as a private patient, they are a bit pricey when seeing the hygienist compared to others but she's really good.

I use the hygienist there, Sharon, and think she ts really good. The dentists, I’m not just as keen on, although they don’t do much beyond taking a look round and telling me it’s ok.

She has me on a 3 month visit schedule too! Such is my poor dental hygiene.

Why should I floss every day and use Teepee brushes if you’re taking £60 to fix things up every three months?

Apologies if posters have seen this multiple times before, but I stumbled on this episode of Grand Designs whilst looking for something else.

St Jude's Vicarge was a bland 1950s council house style building behind the old St Jude's Church on Dulwich Road. It was very conspicuous - sticking out into Brockwell Park behind a rather low budget wooden fence. I remember the house personally having been entertained there by vicar the Rev Dennis Peterson and his wife around 1987. They had old fashioned values - and liked the old place so much they harboured the wish to use right-to-buy so they could stay there in Dennis's retirement. I suspect Mrs Thatcher's right to buy did not apply to church property though.

Two vicars later St Judes parish was merged into St Matthews (as opposite the Fridge/Electric). The now surplus vicarage was sold off.

Not sure at what point Grand Designs got involved, but round 2012/3 the new upwardly mobile owners of the humble-looking 1950s vicarage decided to buy the site for £800,000 and spend a further £400,000 reconstructing the house and gardens.

Local Brixton modernist architect Zac Monro facilitated the design and the story is here Grand Designs - On Demand - All 4
Before photos (from Brockwell Park side and from service - Dulwich Road - side). Window grills not present in the 1980s AFAIR.
vicarage side.JPG vicarage from park.JPG finished product as shown in Brixton Bugle.jpg
Finished product from Brockwell Park.

Back
Top Bottom