Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Here's how astronauts sleep in space

It wouldn't matter if it was cramped, I'd be in space.

As long as I could come home again I wouldn't care.

That weight machine has to be expensive, it costs $60,000 to lift 1 kg into space using the space shuttle. I don't know how much the weight machine weighs, but If the machine weighs 10 kg, that would be $600,000 in transport costs alone! :eek:

It's part of the point of the ISS to figure out how humans cope in extended zero-g. That apparatus is one of the more important things up there.

I await editor posting the follow up to this thread, 'how astronauts shit in space'
There are lots of you tube videos about this. For Apollo astronauts it was a lot worse.

• A bag
&
  • A buddy to make sure everything went in the bag and didn't float around in the cabin. :hmm:
Apollo astronauts did have nappies for the spacesuit but according to chris riley (http://www.chris-riley.com/) they were only to use them in an emergency.

It's such an important subject I though editor might award it a thread for scat in space discussion.
No idea why you keep namechecking me here, but if you'd bothered to watch the videos rather than making inane comments you would have seen that all your scat-related questions were answered in some detail.

That's what zero-G is. The ISS is falling towards the earth all the time, it's just that it's going sideways so fast that it keeps on missing.

Yes, except actually there isn't strictly such a thing as zero G. It's technically called microgravity for a reason (having astronauts fumbling around causes small accelerations for a start before one factors in the geoid, gravity gradients, drag) and is typically around 1 to 3 micro-g (10^-6 g) on the ISS. Quite a bit of effort goes into minimising this and keeping it constant in order to better control experiments up there and improve yields/understanding of results.

I also love the way that spaceflight has to acronymise everythng :D
"Mssion control, I think I've pooped my M.A.G. Permission to engage T.P. procedures"

why not rig up a special spinning room with a hole in the floor- surely centrifugal force would then pull the floater (eh?) into the waste hole.

No idea why you keep namechecking me here, but if you'd bothered to watch the videos rather than making inane comments you would have seen that all your scat-related questions were answered in some detail.
1) i've asked no questions;
2) this is urban, it's full of inane comments, even one or two by you;
3) I don't keep namechecking you but even if I did it's no crime.

I just think if you are going to lay one after a week of eating re-hydrated food it would be nice to not need a poo partner to help out.

This got me thinking about sex in freefall and how velcro is surely the answer

Are there turds on the moon in little NASA bags?

Sorry to disappoint but as far as I know, no.

Most turds (and they were minimised by a specially selected diet) were returned for sampling:

ts6c2-2.jpg

Urine was vented into space as was any gas coming off the faeces. There are possibly a good few million molecules of astronaut farts hanging around near the lunar surface, if that will amuse.

Nope, it all came back to earth with them in the lunar module, which burnt up on re-entry after seperating from the command module.

Only one LM burned up on re-entry (Apollo 13's Aquarius). Most of the LMs were initially left in lunar orbit, which due to the irregular nature of the lunar geoid, isn't very stable. The majority were purposefully impacted with the lunar surface to calibrate the seismic surface packages that were left behind (part of the ALSEPS). The fate of a couple is unknown - they either impacted the moon unnoticed or are as per Apollo 10's Snoopy - are in a heliocentric orbit.

Only one LM burned up on re-entry (Apollo 13's Aquarius). Most of the LMs were initially left in lunar orbit, which due to the irregular nature of the lunar geoid, isn't very stable. The majority were purposefully impacted with the lunar surface to calibrate the seismic surface packages that were left behind (part of the ALSEPS). The fate of a couple is unknown - they either impacted the moon unnoticed or are as per Apollo 10's Snoopy - are in a heliocentric orbit.
Ah, I did not know that . And it makes total sense too - why waste propellant sending all that useless mass on a return trajectory >_<

So maybe there are the remains of NASA poobags on the moon.

So maybe there are the remains of NASA poobags on the moon.

As best I know all the turds ended up in the waste management compartment in the command module (dry material returned to Earth as per the table above). Excess on later (extended) missions may have been put in waste management bags and dumped in the service module which was destroyed on re-entry. I guess a studious reading of the mission transcripts would nail it for the seriously enthusiastic.

PS Apollo 10 LM Snoopy was purposefully punted into a heliocentric orbit to separate it from the CSM as it was still laden with fuel (having not flown a full descent to the surface) and thus considered a hazard. The 'missing' LMs almost certainly hit the lunar surface within a few months.

Back
Top Bottom