Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

henry viii - was he a f*ckwit?

Not really

Rich boy parallels

He was an attractive active playboy guy who dabbled with intellectual life and was seen as a bit of a shiny JFK type initially but after a jousting accident left him with massive head and leg injuries suffered from debilitating migraines and leg ulcers for the rest of his life which really ramped up the level of arsehole he managed to accomplish
But didn't Prince Harry sustain an injury from a dog bowl?

He was a shit.

But as a serendipitous benefit of the way he broke with Rome, England, Wales and Scotland dodged the religious wars that cost literally millions of lives across mainland Europe and Ireland. Hundreds, possibly thousands of both catholics and protestants died under Henry, Mary and Elizabeth. And many more in the Wars of the three Kingdoms. But we had nothing on the scale of France, Modern Germany and Austria (in the widest sense) and the Low Countries.
Well said. I hadn't thought of this...

Fucking off papal control was a good move though. Course it was bloody but everything was then.

According to recent research.

It's rather likely that Henry had Kell blood group antigenecy, which led to McLeod syndrome. This would explain his fertility problems, his wives issues with childbirth, issues with his offspring's health, and his late life psychosis. (McLeod syndrome being less likely, but hypothesised)

I watched a documentary on it a while back and it was super interesting.

Last edited:
Read somewhere that Henry had a pretty nasty fall during a jousting tournament and it was touch and go if he would live. This happened in his thirties and his personality changed overnight. from that day he was never the same man..

I'm here for these sort of history threads and this could be a really fun interactive part of future palace history-style tours. A re-animated Henry VIII created by AI looking dumfounded as a threadbare gaggle of ageing ravers and politics nerds shout abuse, deriding the dead sovereign as a "fuckwit", "knob", and "misogynist cunt".

Not sure how it would all end but pretty sure as it's not the 16th century we'll keep our heads. Unless, that is, Nigel Farage invites the hologram to be the next leader of Reform UK (and even then he is likely to be too "woke" for some of Reform's customer base).

I'm sort of curious as to what major 16th Century figures would pass the Urban 'cunt/not-cunt' test.:hmm:

TBF not many people manage it even now.

Elizabeth of York was very decent. (only just 16th century, though).

Yeah I'll hold up a flag for Michel de Montaigne too, he was considered a bit of a weirdo by contemporaries for eg believing girls ought to be educated like boys were.

As a non-British national who didn’t pay much attention to history lessons in primary school, my knowledge is limited to the basics you absorb as an adult from books, newspapers articles or TV documentaries.

And if I am correct in saying that he was a man who offed several of his wives for failing to impregnate them, I would conclude that yes, he was a massive fuckwit.

I do realise that most monarchs from most countries in those times would have undoubtedly ordered or sanctioned some acts of indefensible murder even within the frame of that era, never mind as we’d judge them today. But a man who (as my perhaps ignorant understanding of events understands) pretty much created a splinter religion for the sole purpose of dumping his wife, and went on to murder several subsequent wives, should be taught in UK schools as a cunt of the highest order.

FWIW it is by no means a phenomenon unique to the UK. When learning about Spanish history in school when I was a kid in the 80s, our school books or our teachers for that matter had literally fuck all to say about our glorious Conquistadores raping, killing, pillaging and even wiping out entire communities. I’d like to think the current Spanish primary school curriculum at least touches on it a bit, but wouldn’t be surprised if it still paints Spain’s discovery and subsequent empire establishment in the American continent as as the high water mark of the country’s greatest achievements.

Probably worth a separate thread. I’d certainly be interested to learn about how many Western nations are being remotely objective in their education curriculum about their historical behaviour both domestically and overseas. Or the defence of holding on to foreign territories thousands of miles away gained by force centuries ago.

it is wierd how he seems to get a pass and is regarded as "a bit of a charchter" when he was very much a capricious tyrant who seemed to think nothing of executing advisors and wives who failed him in some way. And he casued a siesmic repture in englands social fabric and international relations just to sastify his own personal desires and greed.

THe enlglish reformation is a weird one in that its main driver was Henry breaking with rome as a way of divorcing his wife in order to a. persue his obsesson with Anne Bolyen and/or b. secure a legitmate male heir.
Cramner and Cromwell used this as a way of pushing England towards protestantism - and Henry seemed happy to go along with it as a way of getting rid of Catherin of Aragorn and then later enriching himself on the proceeds of the disolution of the monestrys (which also bought the support of the noblilty) . Cromwell seems to have been the key player here - im not sure whether he was driven by deeply held religious convictions - and/or a machivelian genius for wealth and power (which bit him on the arse big time after the anne of Cleves debacle)
Who knows what would have happened had Catherine provided a male her - or if the pope had sanctioned a divorce? The History of England and Britain would have been very, very different.

Last edited:
Who knows what would have happened Catherine had provided a male her - or if the pope had sanctioned a divorce? The History of England and Britain would have been very, very different.
It would indeed. The reformation wouldn't have happened in the same way. Henry and Catherine, and many other nobles and important people at the time were keen to rid the catholic church of some of its corruptions at the time, so reformation may still have happened, but it would have been far more gradual and peaceful, and wouldn't necessarily have led to the formation of the Church of England.

Reactions: izz
Thomas was given a shiny new image by Hilary Mantell in Wolf Hall. He was portrayed as a charming and thoughtful man.

He was a cunt in real life.
That’s not my reading of Mantel’s portrayal of him. I think she goes to great lengths to portray him as both those things, neither an unblemished hero nor an irredeemable villain.

He was a shit.

But as a serendipitous benefit of the way he broke with Rome, England, Wales and Scotland dodged the religious wars that cost literally millions of lives across mainland Europe and Ireland. Hundreds, possibly thousands of both catholics and protestants died under Henry, Mary and Elizabeth. And many more in the Wars of the three Kingdoms. But we had nothing on the scale of France, Modern Germany and Austria (in the widest sense) and the Low Countries.
The British Isles were still bloody & didn't side step anything. The Tudor conquest of Ireland took the lives of thousands. And there was the long drawn out Anglo-Dutch war against Spain, (who gave some support to the Irish) & the Spanish Armada.

Which we know leads to The English Civil War, which was a chapter in the European Wars of Religion, itself part of the wider global crisis of the 1600s.

Geoffrey Parker's book is vast in scope & daunting.

Back
Top Bottom