Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World War One - huh - yeah - what was it good for? Absolutely nothing!

War graves always make me feel indescribably sad. Way more than normal graves, maybe because we all have to die at some point and will hopefully have a grave marker. Little baby graves are sad, but war graves - especially like that, here lies a soldier.

They are a desperately sad signifier of what could have been in a life cut horribly short.

The multiple graves are especially sobering, the fact that they couldn't even separate the remains is horrific. Very common with tank crews.

1613856902750.png

This is one of those wars that has been radically re-imagined and re-characterised as the years have gone by. It's gradually switched from being widely seen in the West as some sort of righteous battle against the German forces of evil, to a much more nuanced conception that places the retarded coteries in power in almost all involved countries at the centre of a conflict that is much harder to pin 'blame' on than once readily claimed.

The other big flip is in the perception of the French, whose key contribution to the victory of the Western allies has increasingly been accepted in much revisionist literature, particularly in terms of their mammoth advanced mechanical and industrial output (ie they produced more aero and tank engines than the rest of the planet combined, powering a large proportion of US and UK equipment, as well as vast explosives output, second only to Russia).

On my road trip lately I made an unscheduled 1 day diversion to visit the massive Fascist memorial at Monte Grappa, done by that Benito bloke to commemorate the slaughter in the Dolomites during WW1. still have Duce labelled plaques and shit. Him aside, its a grim/ beautiful mountaintop location above the clouds with few visitors- its one of the bloody conflicts we forget about. Dont usually do this kind of thing, but i do like mad architecture and its genuinely worth seeing of you can handle the winding 2000m ascent to the top ( I had a car obvs)282006727_10223795156520297_8573933549030075479_n.jpg

On my road trip lately I made an unscheduled 1 day diversion to visit the massive Fascist memorial at Monte Grappa, done by that Benito bloke to commemorate the slaughter in the Dolomites during WW1. still have Duce labelled plaques and shit. Him aside, its a grim/ beautiful mountaintop location above the clouds with few visitors- its one of the bloody conflicts we forget about. Dont usually do this kind of thing, but i do like mad architecture and its genuinely worth seeing of you can handle the winding 2000m ascent to the top ( I had a car obvs)View attachment 324237
Somewhat reminiscent of the Valley of the Fallen.

Back
Top Bottom