Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Harriers" pub (formerly Herne Arms), Herne Hill Road/Wanless Road

To protect this sort of shit we are going to be on negative interest rates very shorty - mark my words.

It's enough to tempt me to vote to Galloway for Mayor.

Depressing research reported in Guardian today showing how QE has 'unintentionally' helped the wealthy.

Reactions: CH1
To protect this sort of shit we are going to be on negative interest rates very shorty - mark my words.

It's enough to tempt me to vote to Galloway for Mayor.

What is he promising to do about it?

It's two units from the looks of it, isn't it? A two bed and a studio flat. Not sure why they don't just let them separately. They were advertising it for sale in the same way, iirc.

What is he promising to do about it?
He is ranting on about revitalising social housing. And stopping off plan sales to buy to let land lords.
Quite how this would be done I'm not sure. But the spirit is willing even if the flesh is weak.

He is ranting on about revitalising social housing. And stopping off plan sales to buy to let land lords.
Quite how this would be done I'm not sure. But the spirit is willing even if the flesh is weak.

Does the mayor even have those powers :confused:

Does the mayor even have those powers :confused:
They all claim to be doing something about housing.
Caroline Pigeon even said she wanted to set up a direct works department to build social housing and offer apprenticeships (going by the debate on London Live, which I watched).

This memory was posted in response to the Buzz article.

I used to drink in the Herne Arms from 1966 to 1976. My mother and father used it from about 1945 as did my grandmother and grandfather. Marie and Cyril Dedman were the licencees during most of these years. George Challis,Lou Cody and Ada Perry served behind the bar. It used to consist of a saloon bar, private bar and public bar with a large semi-circular bar.

They used to have entertainment every Saturday and Sunday evening consisting of a resident band consisting of a pianist (Eva) a drummer and a singer/compere (Raff) with people getting up and doing turns.

The atmosphere was fantastic.

When I was a child in the late 1950’s the men used to go on Beano’s in a coach and they would throw all their loose change out onto the pavement for the kids to share out. Opposite the pub in Wanless Road was a button factory and a Salvation Army Hall.The number 42 bus used to run past the pub but it was taken off in about 1965. Occasionally the 42 bus would come down Milkwood Road from Herne Hill and instead of turning right into Wanless Road it would continue down Hinton Road towards Loughborough Junction and get stuck under the low railway bridge.

A family who lived in Wanless Road whose surname was Perry emigrated to Australia in the late 1960’s and stole Marie and Cyrils’ car and dumped it in Southampton docks. Mary and Cyril retired in the early 1970’s and the pub went downhill after that. My family were good friends with Mary and Cyril and we had holidays in their caravan in Lancing (Sussex). We used to visit them in Bognor Regis after they retired.
Raymond Hill (former resident of Milkwood Road)
Lost pubs: Herne Arms/Harriers, 18 Herne Hill Road, SE24

Back
Top Bottom