Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Harriers" pub (formerly Herne Arms), Herne Hill Road/Wanless Road

Well, yes..... I could cross the Coldharbour Road on the other side under the railway bridge, I suppose....

Well, yes..... I could cross the Coldharbour Road on the other side under the railway bridge, I suppose....
I'm trying to train myself to do this - intuitively there is the urge to cross to the left at the bottom but in reality it makes no sense.

I shall give it a go for a week.... must make sure I don't kill myself crossing over Herne Hill Road from Wingmore Road, though! That's always fun too!

The top floor has now been built.

del.jpg

I wish I could find some photos of the old Harriers/Herne Arms pub - it's frustrating that it remains one of the few closed pubs I've been unable post up a feature about.

I wish I could find some photos of the old Harriers/Herne Arms pub - it's frustrating that it remains one of the few closed pubs I've been unable post up a feature about.
Try Minet Library - the lambeth archives bit has loads of old books of photographs etc

I'm posting up a piece on Brixton Buzz tomorrow and hopefully that may spark a few people into adding their own memories and - even better - sending in some photos of the pub.

I've seen worse but it is architecturally bland and looks like another office block. It hardly blends in with the local architecture.

I think it's ok and better than average. Will reserve full judgement until i see how the street level is dealt with. It's certainly a lot nicer than the building at the other end of the terrace and the one directly opposite on wanless rd.

I would have thought that was self explanatory. Echo elements of the existing architecture. Use vaguely similar coloured brick. Not look like an office block etc.

The existing architecture next to it on HH Road is hardly something a building would want to blend to, surely?

I don't know what that means, sorry.
Doesn't he mean the post war flats next door (possibly replacing a bomb site).
Not proposing to go out and check at 10 pm in 5 degrees - but your earlier photo and my erratic memory suggest what is next door is very basic 50's flats which are hardly distinctive.

In any case there is an aesthetic argument for making a bold statement differentiating a new property from a neighbour from a different era.

Not that the Herne Hill Harriers nouveau development looks bold - more like a clone of Higgs Industrial Nouveau, New Albemarle, Oval Quarter etc etc.

The Herne Arms was my family pub from the 50s right up until the early 70s. Cyril the landlord was my godfather and my brother in law was the pub singer. Marie played the piano with a large G&T that always seemed full even though she was always having a sip. The friday and saturday nights music was classic "pub singers" the twins were two characters who would sing together. The place would be full of only about 4 or 5 families uncles aunts brothers Oh i could go on for hours, along with the Milkwood Tavern, Lord stanley, Warrior, Green man all gone. And now the Half moon has gone:mad:
skf

Last edited:
I got it wrong marie was the landlady, i forgot the name of the women who played the piano but she was in her 60s then, wish i had some photos.
skf

help how do i post a picture from my i photo? when i try it freezes my apple mac and i have to switch off!

when i try to post a photo from my library my computer freezes? 3 times now any tips
cheers
skf

help how do i post a picture from my i photo? when i try it freezes my apple mac and i have to switch off!
Do you have a photo of the pub? I'd be interested to see it.

Are you trying to post it using the "upload a file" button?

Does anyone know when the street level hoardings on the new build are due to come down or where I might be able to find this out? Seems like they've been up for years!!!

Back
Top Bottom