Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Harriers" pub (formerly Herne Arms), Herne Hill Road/Wanless Road

I think it will be soon. The external work behind the hoardings appears to be mostly complete, and at the moment they are installing the glass balustrades on the upper floors. I'd guess the scaffold will come down once that's complete, and hopefully the hoarding will disappear soon after.

I think it will be soon. The external work behind the hoardings appears to be mostly complete, and at the moment they are installing the glass balustrades on the upper floors. I'd guess the scaffold will come down once that's complete, and hopefully the hoarding will disappear soon after.

Looks like it's started coming down today. About a quarter of it has gone, on the Herne hill road side. Just in time for the Higgs estate development to block the pavement for 5 more years with their hoardings I dolefully suspect.

Yes. Will be good to have that corner back. It's become a regular thing for scooters/motorbikes to collide with cars at that junction, i assume because the hoarding cuts visibility. Most recently a few days ago.

Looks like it's started coming down today. About a quarter of it has gone, on the Herne hill road side. Just in time for the Higgs estate development to block the pavement for 5 more years with their hoardings I dolefully suspect.
I'll grab a pic tomorrow.

That overhang still seems a bit odd.
Yeah it does looks a bit odd. I've seen it on a few other places though - seems to be a way of giving people "outside space" i.e. a tiny balcony.

Like these recently redeveloped Georgian townhouses on Stockwell Park Road:

mDeKtwF.jpg

It's also a way of dealing with the always tricky situation of ground floor flats, so that their windows (and entrance door) aren't right up against the pavement. Particularly an issue when the flats are one-sided so all their windows face the street and there is a conflict between wanting to get enough daylight in, and providing some degree of privacy. Setting the bottom floor in resolves this to some extent as you then have what is often referred to as a "defensible space" between those windows/doors and the public pavement. Meanwhile you can make use of the full volume of your air rights on floors above which can extend right to the pavement line.

Yeah it does looks a bit odd. I've seen it on a few other places though - seems to be a way of giving people "outside space" i.e. a tiny balcony.
It look odder to me because even the ground floor juts out considerably from the adjacent building line. The other examples posted here show it as being inline.

Here's a sad tale. The first landlord of the Herne Arms was a Mr Alfred Chettle, who was in charge from 1878 before he took his own life in 1892 .

reynolds-newspaper-27-november-1892.jpg

[Reynold’s Newspaper 27 November, 1892. The British Newspaper Archive. -- ]

They're certainly not exaggerating when they describe it as "a very determined manner".

Here's a sad tale. The first landlord of the Herne Arms was a Mr Alfred Chettle, who was in charge from 1878 before he took his own life in 1892 .

reynolds-newspaper-27-november-1892.jpg

[Reynold’s Newspaper 27 November, 1892. The British Newspaper Archive. -- ]

They did not mess around with suicide reports in those days.

I have a article clipping somewhere about where my great great great uncle was debatably one of the first, if not the first bloke to get killed by a train when he was sandwiched between two locos in a shunting yard. Very graphic. Poor bugger.

I have a article clipping somewhere about where my great great great uncle was debatably one of the first, if not the first bloke to get killed by a train when he was sandwiched between two locos in a shunting yard. Very graphic. Poor bugger.
That 'honour' goes to William Huskisson who was was run over and fatally wounded by George Stephenson's pioneering locomotive engine Rocket way back in 1827.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Huskisson

Those old papers are quite graphic about things. I wonder if we find them so graphic because we watch lots of tv and films and are more likely to be able to imagine it.

Not many of these have been sold. The prices are an outrage. The estate agent is making quite a thing of the view. I wonder if that will still be available when the carbuncle is built.

It looks like they may are all be gone now (I could be wrong).
I watched the construction with interest and I do approve. It's just the price of them that I object to. But it is good to see lights on when I walk past.

Yes, I think they dropped the prices quite significantly.

1st, 2nd and 3rd floors seem to be fully occupied now. Not sure about ground and basement.

Yes, I think they dropped the prices quite significantly.

1st, 2nd and 3rd floors seem to be fully occupied now. Not sure about ground and basement.
You are right. I saw a load of furniture in one of them and thought it was sold but they are now using it as a model flat for people with terrible taste.

Reactions: CH1
Back
Top Bottom