Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy St / Goddess Bridget's day

afaik the evidence of human sacrifice is: romans, who talked that shit about everyone they were beefing with. also, bog bodies. Which could well have been murders or executions. Anything stronger than roman libels and debatable bog bodies?

People being ritualistically killed and then placed into bogs all over Northern Europe is clearly evidence of a widespread organised tradition of human sacrifice not just random murders and sacrificing those societies deems criminal is still a sacrifice.

The concept of human sacrifice is hardly dead even in contemporary society where within most Christian groups the crucifixion is seen as the ultimate human sacrifice that expiates the sins of believers.

Last edited:
People being ritualistically killed and then placed into bogs all over Northern Europe is clearly evidence of a widespread organised tradition of human sacrifice not just random murders and sacrificing those societies deems criminal is still a sacrifice.

what are we missing that your seeing tom

So she does go back to an ancient tradition - that's progress since a few posts back a tradition was being invented :thumbs:

what are we missing that your seeing tom

two sheds , I haven't said that the veneration of Brigid or even the Three Brigids wasn't common in Ireland before Christianity. What I was pointing out whilst feeling particularly testy on the Docklands Light Railway this morning is that we can not assume that that veneration of Brigid/Brigids dates back 4000 years because, communities and their belief systems change over long periods of time.

Ox^, As I am not clairvoyant, I have no idea what you are missing and I have no idea if what you are missing is the same as what others are missing

Last edited:
same remarks could be made regarding any saint

why is Bridget such a problem is my point

even Rome pre Christianity religion was spread because of taking Pagan beliefs of the local population and incorporating them

two sheds, I haven't said that the veneration of Brigid or even the Three Brigids wasn't common in Ireland before Christianity. What I was pointing out whilst feeling particularly testy on the Docklands Light Railway this morning is that we can not assume that that veneration of Brigid/Brigids dates back 4000 years because, communities and their belief systems change over long periods of time.
you should have a word with yourself jim, you made the following statement while feeling particularly testy on the Docklands Light Railway this morning
You might not be so happy if you were being sacrificed to Her by people who believed that sort of thing made Her cheerful.

thus clearly stating that they were being sacrificed to Her with their chief weapon doubtless being Surprise and Fear, Fear and Surprise

is it Venus , aphrodite , anu or mary

religion is weird

but the little bridget cross are quite inoffensive

same remarks could be made regarding any saint

why is Bridget such a problem is my point

even Rome pre Christianity religion was spread because of taking Pagan beliefs of the local population and incorporating them

Yes, the same comments could be made about any saints/deity/mythical wise person.

However, what got up my nose this morning was the claim that the veneration of Bridgit could be dated back thousands of years, which of course it can't. My irritation was further piqued by Aladdin posting a link to a load of old woo that included speculation of an ancient Irish Pantheon whose members might originally have been on an intergalactic day trip to the Emerald Isle. They also posted a second link about the design of New Grange which was more interesting. I didn't read that till later as I was too busy choking on my vegetable samosa about the silliness of the first link and felt impelled to react.

Edited to chock away and choke on.

Last edited:

Fast Facts about St. Brigid​

What you didn't know about Ireland's second-most favorite saint​

St. Patrick isn’t the only saint that gets a day of global celebration. Ireland’s second-most beloved saint, Brigid, has her special day on February 1. Brigid is associated with many miracles related to healing, and it's fitting that the day to commemorate her is also the traditional first day of spring in Ireland. Celebrations have been going on in Ireland for centuries, and in recent years have spread to the Irish diaspora - and this year, you'll be able to participate in many of the celebrations from the comfort of your couch.

Celebrate Brigid at home this year​

Irish communities around the world are running a wide variety of online events celebrating the creativity of women – poetry, films, talks, and more. Some of them extend into a few days in February. Here are a few pages to find more information for celebrating the day online:
ToBeIrish.ie - this site from the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs details events around the world.
EPIC: The Irish Emigration Museum - a free pack for kids 8+ to explore Brigid and the many tales around her life.

Brigid: a generous soul - and a brewer of ale​

How much do you know about this inspiring saint? Here are a few of our favorite facts about St. Brigid:

1. St. Brigid shares a name – and maybe more - with a Celtic goddess​

St Brigid was born in 451 in Dundalk in Ireland and died in 525. Born to a Christian slave who had been baptized by St. Patrick and a father who was both pagan and a wealthy chieftain in Leinster, she shares a name with the Celtic pagan Goddess of fire. She was a slave from birth, and was returned to her father as a child to be his servant. There is some controversy over whether she existed at all, with some speculating that she was invented to Christianize the old Celtic goddess, while others suggesting she was simply named after her.

2. Brigid’s compassion is legendary​

Known for her generous nature, Brigid was freed from a life of bondage after her father, named Dubhthach, tired of her giving away his possessions to the needy. Dubhthach had brought Brigid to the King of Leinster, intending to sell her. While her father spoke to the king, Brigid gave away Dubhthach’s jeweled sword to a leper, enraging her father but prompting the Christian king to recognize her holiness. The king declared that her father should leave her alone, “for her merit before God is greater than ours”, freeing Brigid to follow her faith.

3. She established a monastery in Kildare​

Brigid would go on to become a nun, and a disciple of St. Patrick. She founded several monasteries, including a vital center of religion and learning in Kildare, as well as a school of art that taught metalwork and illumination. The ornate beauty of an illuminated manuscript done by the scholars of Kildare prompted a medieval scholar to say “all this is the work of angelic, not human, skill”; sadly, the book has been lost for centuries. But today, the cathedral of Kildare stands on the site of one her early churches.

4. Her feast day marks the traditional beginning of spring in Ireland​

February 1 was originally celebrated as a pagan festival called Imbolc, marking the midpoint between the winter equinox and spring solstice, and the arrival of longer, warmer days. February 1 is when the daffodils start to bloom, the evenings start to lengthen, and the gloom of winter goes on its way. Brigid would be symbolically welcomed in Irish homes on the day, with a symbolic offering of food and drink. It is also traditional to make St. Brigid’s crosses out of rushes (a straw-like plant); people believed in olden days that these crosses would protect their thatched homes from fire.

5. Brigid is the patron saint of poets…​

But that’s not all – she’s also the patron saint of midwives, newborns, Irish nuns, fugitives, blacksmiths, dairymaids, boatmen, chicken farmers, cattle, scholars, sailors, and no doubt many more. She is also, along with Patrick and Columcille, one of the three patron saints of Ireland.

6. Brigid has a special place in the hearts of brewers​

Like many women of her time, Brigid was a brewer of ale, and several of her miracles are associated with beer. In those days, beer was regarded as a sanitary, more nutritious alternative to water. Once asked for help by a party of thirsty lepers, Brigid spotted some bathwater being prepared; after she blessed the water it was transformed into beer. Similarly, she once transformed dirty bathwater into clean beer for visiting priests.
Her fondness for beer is commemorated in this delightful poem from the 10th century, in the voice of Brigid:

I'd like to give a lake of beer to God.
I'd love the heavenly
Host to be tippling there
For all eternity.
I'd love the men of Heaven to live with me,
To dance and sing.
If they wanted, I'd put at their disposal
Vats of suffering.
White cups of love I'd give them
With a heart and a half;
Sweet pitchers of mercy I'd offer
To every man.
I'd make Heaven a cheerful spot
Because the happy heart is true.
I'd make the men contented for their own sake.
I'd like Jesus to love me too.
I'd like the people of heaven to gather
From all the parishes around.
I'd give a special welcome to the women,
The three Marys of great renown.
I'd sit with the men, the women and God
There by the lake of beer.
We'd be drinking good health forever
And every drop would be a prayer.

Yes, the same comments could be made about any saints/deity/mythical wise person.

However, what got up my nose this morning was the claim that the veneration of Bridgit could be dated back thousands of years, which of course it can't. My irritation was further piqued by Aladdin posting a link to a load of old woo that included speculation of an ancient Irish Pantheon whose members might originally have been on an intergalactic day trip to the Emerald Isle. They also posted a second link about the design of New Grange which was more interesting. I didn't read that till later as I was too busy chocking on my vegetable samosa about the silliness of the first link and felt impelled to react.

Chocking?

You're being a tit tim

However, what got up my nose this morning was the claim that the veneration of Bridgit could be dated back thousands of years, which of course it can't. My irritation was further piqued by Aladdin posting a link to a load of old woo that included speculation of an ancient Irish Pantheon whose members might originally have been on an intergalactic day trip to the Emerald Isle. They also posted a second link about the design of New Grange which was more interesting. I didn't read that till later as I was too busy chocking on my vegetable samosa about the silliness of the first link and felt impelled to react.

we get a bank holiday in ireland for a saint who got rid of snakes from ireland

and all the geological records of snakes ever being in ireland

not got a problem with the little crosses that are used to be burnt on ash wednesday as we celebrate the return of the holy zombie 6 weeks later

we like stories in ireland

you should have a word with yourself jim, you made the following statement while feeling particularly testy on the Docklands Light Railway this morning

thus clearly stating that they were being sacrificed to Her with their chief weapon doubtless being Surprise and Fear, Fear and Surprise

Two Shops, I was implying that these human sacrifices might have been to Her but they might also have been made to alternative deities, other supernatural entities, or tourists from Alpha Centauri. I can't imagine anyone posting here, however much they romanticise the traditions of the past would be that keen to have their neck ritualistically slit or constricted.

Two Shops, I was implying that these human sacrifices might have been to Her but they might also have been made to alternative deities, other supernatural entities, or tourists from Alpha Centauri. I can't imagine anyone posting here, however much they romanticise the traditions of the past would be that keen to have their neck ritualistically slit or constricted.

You're the only one ranting on about sacrifices.
Nobody celebrating St Bridget’s day is talking about that.
It's been a simple day of transition to Spring for Irish people for hundreds of years with some links to ancient protection rites thrown in.

Just as nobody in England really believes St George killed a dragon.

What is nice about celebrating Bridget is that women and creativity will be celebrated.

However, what got up my nose this morning was the claim that the veneration of Bridgit could be dated back thousands of years, which of course it can't. My irritation was further piqued by Aladdin posting a link to a load of old woo that included speculation of an ancient Irish Pantheon whose members might originally have been on an intergalactic day trip to the Emerald Isle. They also posted a second link about the design of New Grange which was more interesting. I didn't read that till later as I was too busy choking on my vegetable samosa about the silliness of the first link and felt impelled to react.

Edited to chock away and choke on.
Ah I'd missed the bit about aliens tam, but even you must admit that there either are or aren't aliens so by the laws of probability that gives a 50% chance.

It seems to me that something hit a nerve with tim

So for the record NOBODY is promoting human sacrifice here.
St Bridget’s day is being celebrated in as inclusive a way as can be.
Some will make crosses of reeds. Some will go to mass or pray. Some will leave ribbons on trees or go to St Bridgets holy wells throughout the country. Some will dance at the rising sun beating drums praising a goddess. Some will go to the pub for a few beers and some trad music. Some will visit friends of neighbours. Some will sing and read poetry by women. Some will reflect on the place of women in Irish society. Some will ignore it all.

Should have put this on poem of the day thread, but here's Heaney

From Crossings

On St. Brigid's Day the new life could be entered
By going through her girdle of straw rope.
The proper way for men was right leg first
Then right arm and right shoulder, head, then left
Shoulder, arm and leg.
Women drew it down
Over the body and stepped out of it.
The open they came into by these moves
Stood opener, hoops came off the world.
They could feel the February air
Still soft above their heads and imagine
The limp rope fray and flare like wind-born gleanings
Or an unhindered goldfinch over ploughland.

Coincidentally I worked with a lovely nurse called Bridget yesterday. I'd never met her before and she was doing a bank shift in my department.

I told her it was St Bridgets day, and what it was and she cheekily asked me if I had a present for her. Well luckily I did as earlier Tracy, the ward clerk had given me a chocolate high protein cake bar, which I gave to Bridget, who was very grateful and needed the sustenance as we both worked our backsides off yesterday.

That was my sacrifice in honour of St Bridget. Nurse Bridget's vibe was definitely a ray of light.

Back
Top Bottom