Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

5t3IIa

Anyone been to Hackney baths at Kings Hall Leisure Centre? Just at the bottom of Lower Clapton Road.

I've been idly planning to go for a while but suddenly realise that I've only regularly gone to one pool in my life (I'm new to Hackers innit :cool: ) and that was purpose built in the 80's. I am a bit :eek: about going to another! What if it's shit?

So - is the plaster to hair-wads ratio unacceptable or is it OK?

495px-Hackney_public_baths_1.jpg

Oh dear! :D

It's so utterly convenient though. I get off the bus in front of it every day and have nipped in once to get a timetable pamphlet thingy. Thought about asking for a quick look around but chickened out.

I've highlighted the women-only lanes swim on Thursday so I'll report back :)

marty21 said:
:D i did hear that the clissold sports centre was about to re-open

yeah right:rolleyes:
i heard it had to be compleately demolished and rebuilt due to the structural damage... where'd you hear otherwise?

GarfieldLeChat said:
i heard it had to be compleately demolished and rebuilt due to the structural damage... where'd you hear otherwise?

A good friend of mine heard it's reopening in January. Don't know where he heard it though.

GarfieldLeChat said:

can't remember now - it is a complete disaster anyway, opened for a few months = closed for the past 2 years?

Kings Hall was pretty scuzzy when i last went along. Clissold Leisure Centre = biggest white elephant in history, still waiting for it to reopen, although the scaffold has come down now. Haggerston Baths closed and crumbling into dust. Lido shut for the winter. Brittania Baths or Highbury Fields are probably your best bet tbh.

if you're on a 48 or 55 or 254 or 106 bus you can access york hall in bethnal green for a better swim and change - there are nicer changing room there now

or mile end leisure centre

marty21 said:
can't remember now - it is a complete disaster anyway, opened for a few months = closed for the past 2 years?
2 sorry to break this to you marty (it might make you think time files) but i have been in stokie for coming up to 7 years and in all that time it's only been open for 2 months... :D :D offically 20 million unoffically 85million prolly closer to 150 million i'm sure chegrimandi has more details on the thing...

This is from a leisure jobs site I use, the news section:

Clissold Leisure sho06 Nov 2007
Clissold Leisure Centre to reopen
The Clissold Leisure Centre in Hackney, London, is to reopen next month after nearly four years of remedial work.

The centre originally opened in February in 2002, at a cost of £34m, to great fanfare. It was closed in November 2003 for a number of reasons, including a leaking roof, inadequate ventilation, cracking in squash-court walls and water damage to the sports hall floor.

However, following a public consultation, the “serious faults” have been rectified, and new features added, such as a brand new toddler pool, as well as improved disability access, reception area and crèche.

Mayor of Hackney, Jules Pipe, said: “Completion of the building work is a crucial milestone towards getting Clissold reopened for the people of Hackney.

“If the fit out period goes smoothly, the centre should be open by the end of the year. Local people have waited a long time for the centre to reopen and I welcome this move into the final phase of the project.”

When it reopens, Clissold will be operated by Greenwich Leisure.

"
l

GarfieldLeChat said:
2 sorry to break this to you marty (it might make you think time files) but i have been in stokie for coming up to 7 years and in all that time it's only been open for 2 months... :D :D offically 20 million unoffically 85million prolly closer to 150 million i'm sure chegrimandi has more details on the thing...

time does fly

pronounced pipe as in smoking a pipe, i've met him, he seems nice enough on a personal level, can't say hackney has been covered in glory during his tenure as leader - the clissold leisure centre fiasco has been under his leadership for one

Stobart Stopper said:
This is from a leisure jobs site I use, the news section:

Clissold Leisure sho06 Nov 2007
Clissold Leisure Centre to reopen
The Clissold Leisure Centre in Hackney, London, is to reopen next month after nearly four years of remedial work.

The centre originally opened in February in 2002, at a cost of £34m, to great fanfare. It was closed in November 2003 for a number of reasons, including a leaking roof, inadequate ventilation, cracking in squash-court walls and water damage to the sports hall floor.

However, following a public consultation, the “serious faults” have been rectified, and new features added, such as a brand new toddler pool, as well as improved disability access, reception area and crèche.

Mayor of Hackney, Jules Pipe, said: “Completion of the building work is a crucial milestone towards getting Clissold reopened for the people of Hackney.

“If the fit out period goes smoothly, the centre should be open by the end of the year. Local people have waited a long time for the centre to reopen and I welcome this move into the final phase of the project.”

When it reopens, Clissold will be operated by Greenwich Leisure.

"
l

sadly what is being alluded to and what is the reality are two different things.

Pipe said he'd reopen clissold this year or stand down as part of his election for mayor (Stella: hackney has an exceutive mayor like ken but with more money more power and less accountablity.). What he didn't say was it would fully reopen...

So Clissold is opening again next month (so this year promise is bearly met) but only and it should be noted only for gym registration to help over that new year bump and is looking likely to close again some time in january....

job done pipe can claim he did reopen clissold as promised. and make no mention of the fact it's closing again....

so pipe yet again flip flops over an issue.

It shuold also be noted that pipe and his cronies managed to get in despite inital george bush like corruption of rigged and fraudulent (c/o the postal vote system) election which even the monitors of the election suggested was undemocratic and unfair. He then this time round held on to the role via some 200,000 or so ghost voters in the system, who either never existed or are very much dead...

so guague for yourself really if he's a good mayor...

my moneys on no.

http://www.clissoldleisure.com more info about pipes highway robbery...

whether the election was rigged or not, hackney is pretty much a one party council, maybe 10 tories and libs against 50 or so labour councillors, can't imagine any other party winning control of the council or the mayorship

GarfieldLeChat said:
sadly what is being alluded to and what is the reality are two different things.

Pipe said he'd reopen clissold this year or stand down as part of his election for mayor (Stella: hackney has an exceutive mayor like ken but with more money more power and less accountablity.). What he didn't say was it would fully reopen...

So Clissold is opening again next month (so this year promise is bearly met) but only and it should be noted only for gym registration to help over that new year bump and is looking likely to close again some time in january....

job done pipe can claim he did reopen clissold as promised. and make no mention of the fact it's closing again....

so pipe yet again flip flops over an issue.

It shuold also be noted that pipe and his cronies managed to get in despite inital george bush like corruption of rigged and fraudulent (c/o the postal vote system) election which even the monitors of the election suggested was undemocratic and unfair. He then this time round held on to the role via some 200,000 or so ghost voters in the system, who either never existed or are very much dead...

so guague for yourself really if he's a good mayor...

my moneys on no.

http://www.clissoldleisure.com more info about pipes highway robbery...

Produce your evidence of a rigged and fraudulent election. As for 200,000 ghost voters where did you get this figure from? The total population of Hackney is probably not much more than 200,000! I think you just make up silly things as you go along.

BarryB

marty21 said:
whether the election was rigged or not, hackney is pretty much a one party council, maybe 10 tories and libs against 50 or so labour councillors, can't imagine any other party winning control of the council or the mayorship

How can Hackney be considered to be a one party council when the Tories, Lib Dems amd the Greens have councillors? Its true we have a big majority but that is not the same as being a one party council.

For the record there are 9 Tories, 1 Green, 3 Lib Dems and 44 Labour (including myself). Correction there are 8 Tories. Their Leader Eric Ollernshaw has resigned to pursue his ambition of becoming an MP up north. So there will be a by election in Springfield ward on December 20. Although the Tories have on paper a comfortable majority strange things can happen in unecessary by elections.

BarryB

Back
Top Bottom