Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great children's novels - a booklist

Thora

Differently Ethical
I'm home educating two of my children (6 and 9) and want to read some good books to/with them. Ideally books set in some different historical/geographical contexts and with diverse protagonists so we can do some learning around them.
We've recently read Kiki's Delivery Service, Mrs Frisby & the Rats of NIMH, Call of The Wild and currently The Hobbit so that's the kind of thing we're after. No Harry Potter or Roald Dahl of David Walliams though.
Any suggestions?

We read Phillip Pullman - The Scarecrow and his Servant, either just before or after the Hobbit. It was a while ago, but definitely one of the best books we read.

The Farthest Away Mountain. This was my favourite book for years as a child, I've read it with both my kids and they both loved it too. A cracking adventure story with a no nonsense heroine.

Daughter and I have read several Sophie Anderson novels, they're excellent. The House with Chicken Feet and The Girl who Speaks Bear were my favourites.

Also currently reading My Friend The Octopus by Lindsay Galvin which is great too.

They're both quite sensitive so I think anything about war or the holocaust might be a bit much at the moment. Nothing too scary or upsetting.

We read Phillip Pullman - The Scarecrow and his Servant, either just before or after the Hobbit. It was a while ago, but definitely one of the best books we read.
I think His Dark Materials might be a bit old for 6 and 9-year-olds especially if they are sensitive. Once they hit their teens, it's a must.

Reactions: Sue
Neither of my kids could get into the Narnia books. Same for The Little White Horse. All books I loved and read over and over, but I think they're just a bit too old-fashioned to catch most kids' attention these days.

Reactions: Sue
Neither of my kids could get into the Narnia books. Same for The Little White Horse. All books I loved and read over and over, but I think they're just a bit too old-fashioned to catch most kids' attention these days.
I loved the Elizabeth Goudge books.

The Narnia books were written in the 50s and that's less than the gap when I was reading E Nesbitt in the 80s (written early 1900s?)

I mean it was obviously a way different time but that was part of the interest. :)

Still can’t go wrong with the two Alice books.

Other oldies.

The phantom toll booth

The changes trilogy.

Sone of the Heinlein juveniles. Have Space Suit will travel is the best.

John Christopher’s tripod trilogy ( plus the ‘new’ prequel).

Last edited:
The Never Ending Story is a fantastic read, as well as an innovative one due to its dual timeline structure- orders of magnitude better than the film. Deserves a far higher profile and acclaim (in this country at least) than it has.

And another of Michael Ende’s books, Momo, is also brilliant. Great and highly original premise.

Daughter and I have read several Sophie Anderson novels, they're excellent. The House with Chicken Feet and The Girl who Speaks Bear were my favourites.

Also currently reading My Friend The Octopus by Lindsay Galvin which is great too.
The Snow Girl by Sophie Anderson is supposed to be very good as well. It's on my list to read with my children's book club in December.

We also enjoyed How I saved the world in a week by Polly Ho-Yen.

The Giggler Treatment by Roddy Doyle is funny as fuck. My kids read it and laughed themselves silly.

There's a couple of follow ups. They're good as well.

Big second for the Moomins, and the Uncle books if you can find them. I was gonna say the Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, but maybe it might be too upsetting?

Back
Top Bottom