Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Goth is Great

Are we including Joy Division, The Cure and The Banshees?

Some music of The Cure, as above, I find acceptable to class as Goth and certainly The Banshees. Joy Division I would say definitely no.

An absolutely brilliant live performance of 'Spellbound' from Siouxie.

I think Goth can apply to a lot of darker sounding bands out there. I'd give it to Joy Division, Black Sabbath (1st LP), Dead Can Dance (earlier stuff), Fields of the Neph, Sisters, The Mission, early Cure, Siouxsie and yeah; Fever Ray.

I'd even put some of Scott Walker's stuff under the Goth umbrella.

I think Goth can apply to a lot of darker sounding bands out there. I'd give it to Joy Division, Black Sabbath (1st LP), Dead Can Dance (earlier stuff), Fields of the Neph, Sisters, The Mission, early Cure, Siouxsie and yeah; Fever Ray.

I'd even put some of Scott Walker's stuff under the Goth umbrella.

you don't know anything about anything, do you? :D

Presumably in your world Rachmaninov's Isle Of The Dead would end up filed in the goth section too, that's a bit "dark".

Muppet

I think Goth can apply to a lot of darker sounding bands out there. I'd give it to Joy Division,
JD were gothic, but not Goth. They were too serious to be Goth and their image (all important) didn't fit in with it at all. Goth is for silly middle class teens who like dressing up a certain way to shock their parents, but they're a bunch of pussies really. Joy Division meant it - goths just pretend and feel sorry for themselves, until they grow out of it, settle down and teach geography.

Some music of The Cure, as above, I find acceptable to class as Goth and certainly The Banshees. Joy Division I would say definitely no.

The Banshees certainly went more goth when they split up and formed The Creatures .

Is Nick Cave* classed as goth ? Personally I'd say no but I think the general impression is that he is

* firstborn is dead , from her to eternity era stuff

like I said (or implied) earlier, being listened to by, or being an influence upon, goths does not make someone goth.

Nick Cave, Joy Division, Scott fucking Walker - not goth
The Mission, Ghost Dance, The Neff - goth.

JD were gothic, but not Goth.

Just because a band has a dark sound doesn't make them gothic or goth (whatever the difference is)
JD appealed to a lot of goths, but weren't goth in any shape or form

Goth is for silly middle class teens who like dressing up a certain way to shock their parents, but they're a bunch of pussies really. Joy Division meant it - goths just pretend and feel sorry for themselves, until they grow out of it, settle down and teach geography.

Lots of goths I knew were w/c and if anything their look/image was a reaction against the shirt wearing, football obsessed, you looking at my pint, hard man image that the majority of their peers tried to portray.

like I said (or implied) earlier, being listened to by, or being an influence upon, goths does not make someone goth.

Nick Cave, Joy Division, Scott fucking Walker - not goth
The Mission, Ghost Dance, The Neff - goth.
I think the last time I seen someone so comitted to their view on what was acceptably goth, I was still writting band names on my school satchel.

I think the last time I seen someone so comitted to their view on what was acceptably goth, I was still writting band names on my school satchel.

heh.
It all comes from whether you see Goth as a pejorative or not. Joy Division were not Goth and somehow it devalues them to say so.
He's right though The bands who really started it were not actually Goth as such - The Birthday Party, Siouxsie, The Cure, Bauhaus whoever were all post punk bands looking to do something new in the wake of punk's scorched earth, year zero inferno. They rejected 'rock' as it were. Elements of what those bands were doing, not least the way they presented themselves, fed a second wave of less musically adventurous, more traditionally 'rock' acts and that's went it curdled into Goth as we think of it.

or not.

Jesus and Mary Chain - Goth?

if you define goth as "music goths listen to", you're fucked. Suddenly everything from Crass to the Cocteau Twins to The Doors becomes goth.
if you define goth as "music that's a bit dark and doomed and romantic" you're fucked. Suddenly everything from Rachmaninov to The Doors to Judee Sill becomes goth.
if you define goth as "music that influenced goth" you're fucked. Suddenly everything from PiL to The Doors to Iggy becomes goth.

So the best bet is to define goth as "bands who were actually goth". And once again you end up with The Mission, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry et al.

So I think we can all agree that The Damned were not good enough to be 'not Goth', everyone an aye on that motion?

Damned were a punk band, singer sometimes looked like a vampire.
not Goth although Eloise is goth and that whole period they got really big was pretty goth

I hadn't thought of the Doors but yeh, it's their fault. wankers.

So I think we can all agree that The Damned were not good enough to be 'not Goth', everyone an aye on that motion?

No, the Damned weren't goth. Although they fell into that group of acts (arguably the Cure and Siouxsie did as well) who saw the goth scene as one worth embracing to sell records. So they went from an influence on goth to arguably goth-aligned, if you see what I mean.

Damned were a punk band, singer sometimes looked like a vampire.
not Goth although Eloise is goth and that whole period they got really big was pretty goth

I hadn't thought of the Doors but yeh, it's their fault. wankers.

by almost every definition of goth which isn't just "they were goths", the Doors were a goth band. cunts.

Pisspoor sixth form poetry, leather trousers, unreasonable hair, french romantic poetry.

Not sure if this counts but hey it's a top tune and features Nigel Preston (RIP), who my mate went out with. Ian's voice is a bit ropey.

No-one ever mentions Play Dead in goth threads, a band who should've been as big as Sisters. Are they goth? Well i think so.

Back
Top Bottom