Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Got a job where they were advertising two roles and the other has been re-advertised at more money

Brainaddict

slight system overdrive
So two roles, exactly the same, were being advertised when I applied for this (public sector) job. I was offered it and accepted, and they offered the top end of the salary range they'd put in the advert without me having to haggle. All fine and good, but they found no-one for the second role so have now readvertised it. The've readvertised this in the next salary band up, so the salary they've offered me is now the lowest amount in the new range they've offered. My question is: should I push to get the high end of the new salary range? If so, when? I've not actually started yet. It seems a slightly aggressive move to pull before even starting, but at the same time I'm not going to be happy if someone else gets paid more than me for the same job not because of skill differences but because the employer failed to attract enough applicants first time round. Any thoughts?

So two roles, exactly the same, were being advertised when I applied for this (public sector) job. I was offered it and accepted, and they offered the top end of the salary range they'd put in the advert without me having to haggle. All fine and good, but they found no-one for the second role so have now readvertised it. The've readvertised this in the next salary band up, so the salary they've offered me is now the lowest amount in the new range they've offered. My question is: should I push to get the high end of the new salary range? If so, when? I've not actually started yet. It seems a slightly aggressive move to pull before even starting, but at the same time I'm not going to be happy if someone else gets paid more than me for the same job not because of skill differences but because the employer failed to attract enough applicants first time round. Any thoughts?
Hey, you don't ask, you don't get. But you did accept the role, so you've very little bargaining power. That being said, public sector jobs usually have very specific pay bands. If it's literally the same job, you have an excellent case to at least be moved to the other pay band, which would allow for greater increases in future.

:hmm:

in theory, public sector (if we're talking local authority) jobs are supposed to be evaluated against a single pay grade structure, so that the skills and knowledge required to be at a particular level (say) as a social worker will be on a similar sort of pay level to (say) a highways engineer with similar level of skills, qualifications and knowledge, and to include 'manual' and 'non manual' workers in the same pay structure. and also to try and eradicate the historical grading of roles traditionally seen as 'womens work' lower than roles traditionally seen as 'mens work'. there is usually a process to request a job re-evaluation if a job role has changed over time.

in practice, there tends to be a bit of flexibility - london authorities always tended to put jobs a grade or two higher then they would be elsewhere as a recognition that getting / keeping staff was harder (even with the london weighting in the national agreement.)

and i have seen a job somewhere fairly close to home that's been advertised three times at a slightly higher grade for more or less the same thing - it's a bit of a niche and from what i gather they still haven't managed to get anyone. mildly annoying in that it's my sort of thing, but they only had funding for a 2 year contract and i didn't want to give up a job that's (on paper at least) permanent for it...

to go back to the specifics -

were these roles (first time round) advertised as 2 separate jobs, and if so did you apply for both, or just one? or was it that they advertised as two vacancies for one role? (as in there are multiple posts at the same grade / job description)

sometimes where there's 2 similar but different jobs being advertised, you can apply for both in one application, sometimes they insist you put two separate applications in, sometimes they say you can only apply for one or the other.

is the 'new' job being advertised exactly the same (as in the job description / person specification) as last time round, or have they sneaked in a higher level of technical or management responsibility to justify the higher grade? if they have, would you meet these requirements? in which case can you either apply for it, or ask if your existing application can be considered for it?

or if the new job is identical to what you've been offered, are they going to adjust the pay range so that you'll be starting at the bottom of pay grade Y rather than at the top of pay grade X? (in which case you'd be on a par with new person as and when they arrive.) have they said they are offering you this much pay at pay grade X or have they just said they are offering you this much pay?

you can have 'career graded' roles where a job crosses two or three pay grades, sometimes with a particular thing, either qualification, skills or duties, triggering a move from grade X to grade Y - and some managers can abuse this for favouritism / discrimination to let one person cross that bar and another person not, and it can be hard to prove.)

having two people doing the same job but on different pay grades (rather than being at two different points in the same pay grade/s for the job) sounds dubious...

(all of the above subject to the usual disclaimers - i'm not a lawyer or HR professional, and it's been a while since i was a union rep)

if it is exactly the same role, same job title, grading, SCP etc. then you have a case I'd say and I'd be speaking to HR in similar circumstances - if the role has changed then you should get the increase too

also, is it a permanent change to the role or a time-limited market supplement that creates the increase?

My feeling is you will be given the new salary from the date the other person starts, assuming it’s the same role / job description.

Not saying that’s right but that’s what I expect will happen

I have to say I'm surprised at the pay band change. Normally what happens when they can't find the staff is a "market adjustment" gets added to the salary, which isn't open to cost-of-living increases and isn't pensionable. It's also a one time only for that circumstance sort of thing. It sounds like that's what they should have done.

I don't necessarily agree that they'd get the new salary - I think there's an excellent case to have their pay band changed, but the location in the pay band is on a case by case basis. You'd get to the top of the band in 5 years or so anyway.

Thanks everyone, yes, they were advertised together initially, as in '2 jobs as x are available' so they have no wiggle room to argue they are different jobs.

And thanks to your input I've just checked the new job description and it is no different to the one I responded to, except for stating a higher pay band.

I guess what I'll do, rather than saying anything now, is wait until they recruit, by which point I'll have been in the job a couple of months, then point out the discrepancy to HR and see if I can embarass them into moving me to the next band up.

My feeling is you will be given the new salary from the date the other person starts, assuming it’s the same role / job description.

Not saying that’s right but that’s what I expect will happen
Yeah there's a chance they'll offer it when the new recruit arrives without me saying anything, I guess that's the best outcome. I don't mind a couple of months on the lower band.

Yeah there's a chance they'll offer it when the new recruit arrives without me saying anything, I guess that's the best outcome. I don't mind a couple of months on the lower band.
You could argue for backdating the higher pay once someone is hired, especially if they have less experience than you.

Hey, you don't ask, you don't get. But you did accept the role, so you've very little bargaining power. That being said, public sector jobs usually have very specific pay bands. If it's literally the same job, you have an excellent case to at least be moved to the other pay band, which would allow for greater increases in future.
Yes.

Query along the lines of: "I notice the other vacancy has been re-advertised, albeit the salary range is stated as being in the next band up. Can you clarify whether the role of [job title] has been regraded and is now classed as being in the band above?"

That way, it sounds like a more general enquiry, asking for an explanation about the apparent discrepancy, rather than a grievance about 'I feel ripped off because the other person is going to get more money than me.'

i'm wondering if making contact is reasonable, either as AnnO'Neemus has suggested a couple of posts ago, or alternatively asking something along the lines of

'i have accepted this role at pay grade X, but see that a very similar role is now being advertised at pay grade Y. Can my application for job X be considered as an application for job Y, or would I need to make a new application?' and see what they say.

it might just piss them off, although if they are having trouble getting people for the role, probably not enough to make them withdraw the offer.

a few organisations have a rule that you're not allowed to apply for another role in the organisation until you have passed your probation period.

technically, if you've got as far as entering in to an employment contract, even if you haven't started, the notice period in the contract still applies to a resignation, although i can't imagine many employers would want someone to start while they are working out their notice.

Thanks everyone, yes, they were advertised together initially, as in '2 jobs as x are available' so they have no wiggle room to argue they are different jobs.

And thanks to your input I've just checked the new job description and it is no different to the one I responded to, except for stating a higher pay band.

I guess what I'll do, rather than saying anything now, is wait until they recruit, by which point I'll have been in the job a couple of months, then point out the discrepancy to HR and see if I can embarass them into moving me to the next band up.
I wouldn't do that. I'd raise it now and see what they say. They can hardly retract the offer if you've signed the contract. Generally your bargaining power is highest during the recruitment process. They've already indicated they want you to work there, so they won't want to loose you.

Back
Top Bottom