Network
World-wide network/carrier compatibility

Sensors
Active Edge™

Ports
USB-C • 3.1 Gen 1

Materials
Aluminum unibody • Water & dust resistant

When my Nexus 6p finally conks out I've got my eye on a Pixel 2 XL. The battery is starting to fade now so I reckon I've only got another six months before I need a new phone.

No wireless charging or headphone jack FFS.
No headphone jack is weak :(

Glad I went for the S8 this year. Headphone jack, sd card slot, little bezel etc. I loved my Pixel but it wasn't waterproof so I trashed it :facepalm: Would prefer Pixel cos it's pure Android but no headphone socket means it'll always be a no from me

I remember when each smartphone launch heralded a real step forward, and there was some excitement about it all.
I'd be more than happy with my Samsung S7 for a very very long time if the battery life doubled. Sadly, like all bloody phones, it's going into reverse.

Also note the XL costs more than the iPhone 8 plus! Thought it was worth mentioning.

With OS updates for two years no doubt and then security updates for the 3rd year only followed by nada in the 4th year if past is to go by.

Also note the XL costs more than the iPhone 8 plus! Thought it was worth mentioning.

With OS updates for two years no doubt and then security updates for the 3rd year only followed by nada in the 4th year if past is to go by.
The Google Pixel 2 XL starts at £799 for 64GB and costs £899 for 128GB. Same as the iPhone 8 Plus, but a shitload cheaper than the iPhone X.

There's a new thing by Google called Project Treble, which sounds like it's going to sort out the update issue. I've tried to find info on it, but the articles I've read are not very in-depth, but the jist of it seems to be a layer that sits between the hardware and the operating system that doesn't change very often. So Google can update Android, and it'll just work on older phones (Android 8+).

Should help with the update issue if it's as good as what they say.

Also, there's another thing that happened recently in that Linux changed their LTS (long term support) version from 2 years support to 6, so again, another crucial part of the system will remain stable for much longer, in theory making upgrades both easier, and cheaper.

There's a chance this, and any new handsets after this, will get updates as long as Apple's phones do.

I broke my 6p last week and huawei have said 140 quid to fix so I may be in the market for one of these. Bit too pricey though so might just get the one from last year.

No headphone jack is really annoying but at least they have justified it by stating that it's to ensure the phone is waterproof.

I broke my 6p last week and huawei have said 140 quid to fix so I may be in the market for one of these. Bit too pricey though so might just get the one from last year.

No headphone jack is really annoying but at least they have justified it by stating that it's to ensure the phone is waterproof.

weird as my waterproof Sony has a headphone jack...

Nexus phones are usually underwhelming in the face of Samsung's best product and this is no exception.

I like TouchWiz - for a long time (until 7.1?) it was significantly ahead in usability compared to the mess that is the vanilla Android UI. Still is in part. However I'm well aware this isn't a popular opinion!

I really didn't like in earlier versions. On the Note 2 and 4 I installed Nova Launcher. On the S8 (and maybe earlier I guess) though they seem to have realy got it nailed.

I really didn't like in earlier versions. On the Note 2 and 4 I installed Nova Launcher. On the S8 (and maybe earlier I guess) though they seem to have realy got it nailed.
Some fundamental bits of the stock Android experience are really poor, like taking your phone on/off silent.

iPhone: switch on the side

Samsung: three-phase ringer/vibrate/silent control in the top bar there by default

Android: No top bar control for this as such. Instead we have Do Not Disturb, which has its own configuration and implications beyond just sound. You can use the volume buttons to move between vibrate and sounds instead except you'll then have to set your ringer volume manually each time and bleeuuughhhh...

Give me TouchWiz every time!

Some fundamental bits of the stock Android experience are really poor, like taking your phone on/off silent.

Samsung: three-phase ringer/vibrate/silent control in the top bar there by default

Android: No top bar control for this as such. Instead we have Do Not Disturb, which has its own configuration and implications beyond just sound. You can use the volume buttons to move between vibrate and sounds instead except you'll then have to set your ringer volume manually each time and bleeuuughhhh...

Give me TouchWiz every time!

That's something I've moaned about for years. I used to love Nokia's profiles but no-one seems to have tried that since their demise.

It's quite easy to get a silence widget from play though.

That's something I've moaned about for years. I used to love Nokia's profiles but no-one seems to have tried that since their demise.

It's quite easy to get a silence widget from play though.
Yeah, I did that when I had a Nexus 5X for work. Shouldn't be necessary in the first place though.

I had exactly this with my mums phone the other day. Explaining to her how to do it was akin to nailing custard to a wall.

"Well, why hasn't mine got little button on the side like yours?" :facepalm:

Why indeed... :D

I really think Samsung missed a trick by not making the Bixby button easily remapable, so it could have been used for things like this.

Back
Top Bottom