Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Global financial system implosion begins

Yeah, it's currently within the kind of volatility parameters we've come accustomed to. However with the FTSE 100, it's looking a bit bleak. See crashed from 7000 to 5200 this year and have been bouncing around a few percent most months - but generally in a positive direction. Earlier in the month we got back over 6000. However the picture since has been less rosy. We now appear to be bouncing around in a generally downward direction.

It had similar periods in 2015 and 2018, I'd hardly call it a "collapse".

Yeah, it's currently within the kind of volatility parameters we've come accustomed to. However with the FTSE 100, it's looking a bit bleak. See crashed from 7000 to 5200 this year and have been bouncing around a few percent most months - but generally in a positive direction. Earlier in the month we got back over 6000. However the picture since has been less rosy. We now appear to be bouncing around in a generally downward direction.
Given the time running out for a Brexit agreement and the impact of resurgent COVID on the sentiment of the FTSE’s heavy weighting on energy stocks, I’m actually kind of surprised it’s only 10% down from its post-March peak. If AstraZeneca get their vaccine approved, I would expect that 10% drop to be unwound and then some. If they also out together something on Brexit other than a total EU cliff edge, that will also make a difference.

The FTSE 100 is packed full of ancient companies that will be struggling with the pandemic and uncertainty though. Look at the whole market (e.g. something like a FTSE Global All Cap index) and it's up 7.5% in the last year.

View attachment 236258
From 5900 a few days ago to under 5600 when I posted.

FTSE 100, btw, not 250
As you were again, then (and somewhat better than on that 24 Oct base point for measurement)

1604912716647.png

All this volatility — down 5, up 5, up 5, down 5 — is just business as usual this year.

I fully expect it to drop heavily again, by the way, as COVID and Brexit continue to take their toll. But before dropping heavily, it wouldn’t surprise me if it first gained a lot. Timing the market this year would require someone with much more insight than I have.

Last edited:
If AstraZeneca get their vaccine approved, I would expect that 10% drop to be unwound and then some. If they also out together something on Brexit other than a total EU cliff edge, that will also make a difference.
When I wrote that a few days ago, I didn’t expect a vaccine effect to be quite so imminent. Pfizer announce 90% effectiveness and everything has just jumped another 5-10%

Whether or not this vaccine works out, it provides a taste of how the markets will react to the genuine article

Does anyone understand why GBP is at 1.36 against USD? Is it just that that the dollar is so bad? Or does the market think a brexit meltdown is priced in?

I can't make head nor tail of it.

The only explanation I can think of is that the demand for equities is pumped high by central bank money printing. This is pushing up £gbp demand as so many international companies are listed here.

USD is just weak, is my interpretation. GBP is still only about 1.10 against the EUR, after all. So it’s not so much about the UK as it is about the US.

(Don’t forget either than pre-Brexit, USD regularly traded above 1.50. I remember about 10-15 years ago it even going above 2.00. So 1.35 is still historically extremely low for GBP).

Incidentally, it’s a sign of the crazy times we live in that it was only six weeks ago that you posted this!

View attachment 236258
From 5900 a few days ago to under 5600 when I posted.

FTSE 100, btw, not 250
Six weeks later and we’ve had multiple vaccine successes, we’ve had “almost certain” no deal Brexit and now we’ve had a possible “path to success” on a Brexit deal. Net result: FTSE 100 closed at 6550 today (up 17.5% from the time of your post) and the FTSE 250 has risen by closer to 20%. What a mad year for the equity indices.

Yep. You can play volatility by taking a position on the index that tracks volatility. Given that the vix data is sucked out of options on stocks underlying data ( yer black scholes and shit ), you can take take out a derivative based on a derivative. The vix is low ATM which in itself is a warning sign. This is his things stack up very quickly and people lose control of what is going on

Yep. You can play volatility by taking a position on the index that tracks volatility. Given that the vix data is sucked out of options on stocks underlying data ( yer black scholes and shit ), you can take take out a derivative based on a derivative. The vix is low ATM which in itself is a warning sign. This is his things stack up very quickly and people lose control of what is going on

I think they already have. the disconnect between the markets and the real world is almost total

Blackstone CEO Celebrates “Huge Increases in Rents” as Millions Face Eviction
Jacobin. 15/12/20
The world’s largest private equity firm has bankrolled campaigns against rent control and been accused by the United Nations of fueling a global housing crisis. Now, as millions are threatened with eviction during the pandemic, Blackstone’s top executive is openly bragging that the firm is making huge profits off of rent increases.

At the Goldman Sachs Financial Services Conference on December 9, 2020, Blackstone’s billionaire CEO, Stephen Schwarzman, boasted that after the 2008 financial crisis, his firm was able to cash in on the mortgage crisis. At the time, the company was able to buy up foreclosed homes and convert them into rental properties subsequently plagued by accusations of dilapidation and excessive fees — all while it received a big financial boost from the government.

Schwarzman, a top Republican donor and close ally of Donald Trump, indicated his firm is positioning itself for a similar jackpot.

“You always have winners and losers — Blackstone was a huge winner coming out of the global financial crisis, and I think something similar is going to happen,” he said.

Incidentally, it’s a sign of the crazy times we live in that it was only six weeks ago that you posted this!

Six weeks later and we’ve had multiple vaccine successes, we’ve had “almost certain” no deal Brexit and now we’ve had a possible “path to success” on a Brexit deal. Net result: FTSE 100 closed at 6550 today (up 17.5% from the time of your post) and the FTSE 250 has risen by closer to 20%. What a mad year for the equity indices.
Yep, it's almost at full bounce back. It's worked out well with my pension as I had sat out the market for a year and then bought back in at 5400. But what's going to happen when it's back in the 7000s? We all agreed that it was too high before, and the fundamentals have got worse. Is this just inflationary melt up?

Does anyone understand why GBP is at 1.36 against USD? Is it just that that the dollar is so bad? Or does the market think a brexit meltdown is priced in?

I can't make head nor tail of it.

Bear in mind the US is currently burning through its population like an arsonist in a fireplace store

Yep, it's almost at full bounce back. It's worked out well with my pension as I had sat out the market for a year and then bought back in at 5400. But what's going to happen when it's back in the 7000s? We all agreed that it was too high before, and the fundamentals have got worse. Is this just inflationary melt up?
I’m not sure that the FTSE 100 as a whole has much meaning, to be honest. It’s fragmented largely into energy companies, banks/insurers, pharmaceuticals and investment trusts — those segments are massively different to each other but between them make up most of the index. Some of the segments can look good value whilst others look dodgy. A lot make most of their money outside of the UK so their value in GBP is just higher as a matter of maths when GBP is devalued and vice versa, with no reflection on fundamentals at all. As such, I don’t think you can draw general lines about when it is over or undervalued.

"Grantham cited shares in the electric car maker as an example of the market bubble. “As a model 3 owner, my personal favourite Tesla tidbit is that its market capitalisation, now over $600bn, amounts to over $1.25m per car sold each year versus $9,000 per car for General Motors. What has 1929 got to equal that?”

"Grantham cited shares in the electric car maker as an example of the market bubble. “As a model 3 owner, my personal favourite Tesla tidbit is that its market capitalisation, now over $600bn, amounts to over $1.25m per car sold each year versus $9,000 per car for General Motors. What has 1929 got to equal that?”
The issue with Tesla as a meme stock is that it doesn't have the scalability of the Facebook/Netflix/Amazon etc. Those are all suppliers of data - which can (theoretically) be scaled up without greatly increasing the cost base. Switching on a few more servers and upping the bandwidth to service another million or ten users is not immaterial, but it's not extraordinary. Tesla make actual cars. If they want to produce another million or ten cars, that's a big deal and requires a whole lot of new raw materials that need to be bought, shipped and hammered into a car shape.

The issue with Tesla as a meme stock is that it doesn't have the scalability of the Facebook/Netflix/Amazon etc. Those are all suppliers of data - which can (theoretically) be scaled up without greatly increasing the cost base. Switching on a few more servers and upping the bandwidth to service another million or ten users is not immaterial, but it's not extraordinary. Tesla make actual cars. If they want to produce another million or ten cars, that's a big deal and requires a whole lot of new raw materials that need to be bought, shipped and hammered into a car shape.
I read an interesting round up a few weeks back of technical analyses from various banks of Tesla stock. One had something like $100 and another something like $900, so they were getting into how that has happened. It did allow me to understand the various valuations a lot better. The lower estimate (which still assumes massive growth to make sense) is based on it being a car maker. The higher valuations were attempting to place value on it using its data to move into being things like being the provider of AI for self-driving taxis and haulage. You may or may not agree with their assessment of that potential, but it wasn’t just reactive to price trends.

ETA: here it is. $90 vs $780, actually

Further: this is what the Morgan Stanley guy said about their own $540 valuation. The “battery supplier” thing is an example of a valuation for something I hadn’t even really considered.

Out of our $540 price target, $254 is attributed to the core auto manufacturing business, $154 to the network-services business opportunity, $58 to the potential of becoming a supplier of batteries and powertrain to third parties, $38 to the mobility and ride-sharing business opportunity and $25 to the insurance and energy business.

Last edited:
The high value of Tesla stock is largely because it's a famous company with a publicity savvy CEO in an era when millions of people are making specific consumer choices about investing pension money - 401k or robin hood, etc. Tesla is a perfect mix of an understandable and visible product, prestigious and futuristic, and most importantly - number go up.

Back
Top Bottom