Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Global financial system implosion begins

True, from the perspective of:

a) this point in time when sterling has its annual April bump
b) if you only consider ftse (if you are going for a passive tracker strategy then you should spread across bourses).
Well, other U.K. indices have shown similar recovery, actually. Particularly the AIM. And worldwide markets showed lesser or greater dips and recoveries, but they’re all broadly doing much better than in March. US possibly aside, but you don’t really want to be overdoing US investment if you are UK based.

Sterling is about to dive, economic growth in the UK has tanked, and there are plenty of big firms with profit warnings out there. Yes ideally buying up at 6900 and selling now would recoup 8% - but then where do you buy? If the FTSE 100 wasn't a good buy at 6900, it certainly isn't now.
If Sterling dives then U.K. companies with foreign earnings — ie the 100 and half the 250 — will do very well out of it. Half the reason for the U.K. index drops in the first place was because of Sterling’s rise in the first quarter from 1.33 to about 1.43ish.

I guess my point is that I don’t know on what basis you are stating that the 100 wasn’t a good buy at 6900. The consensus is seemingly against you on that front, especially since it promptly gained 8%.

If you buy at 6900 and sell at 7600 then after selling, you’ve got the same cash than you had by never investing in the first place plus 10%. What are you currently doing with the investment? Do that.

Last edited:
You are correct, from the current perspective. The latest edition of hindsight weekly suggests that jan-mar were a blip and it's now back to the 2017 steady increases and good cheer. I'm waiting for the June issues to make my judgement on whether I was right or wrong to remain out.

Of course, the individual winners and losers amongst companies within that last month are very variable. Anybody mining or oil and gas related has done particularly well, such as Rio Tinto or BP (up 14% as shown below). This is due to the spike in mineral prices with recent tensions.

1A1A93E9-26D6-42F3-95E6-1F8CD7893362.png

On the other hand, for the life of me I can’t figure out what Rentokil have done to make their share price jump by over 15%!

A581C2B7-6955-4F8C-AF02-6AFB9DC561AB.png

The increase in energy stocks probably also reflects people transitioning to "defensive" stocks. How have the arms and tobacco companies done?

The increase in energy stocks probably also reflects people transitioning to "defensive" stocks. How have the arms and tobacco companies done?
The tobacco companies seem to have had a funny old year, frankly.

Imperial Brands is down over 30% for the 12 month period! And only 10% of that is for the last three months -- i.e. it was already down 20% of that 30% prior to the big January sell-off. Prior to the recovery, it was doing even worse, though (i.e. it was 40% down over that 11 month period) -- it has recovered 11% in the last month, which may well reflect your theory about defensive purchases, although it could also simply reflect it looking very undervalued on a P/E basis having lost 40% of its price.

British American Tobacco is not a dissimilar story for the year as a whole -- 25% down over 12 months -- but prior to the end of January, it was only down about 5% in that time and it's pretty flat over the last month. Not much sign there of investors switching to safety.

BAE is up over the last month actually slightly less than the FTSE 100 as a whole, so it doesn't look as if a switch to arms companies is helping them.

Well, Europe seems to be back to full recovery following January’s correction. FTSEs 100 and 250 and CAC 80 in Paris have all set new all time highs over the last few days (alright, the 100 was 4 points off, but still). So on this occasion, the drop of 3 months ago was not the harbinger of a full on collapse.

Now, who knows what next month will bring...

Double top. Classic bear signal ;)

The big question is whether the slow turning off of the money faucets is going to successfully walk the knife edge between inflation and sucking the air out of the markets. Meanwhile consumer sales dive and wages go up. If it did all go tits up there would be plenty of things to point at in hindsight.

I will wait it out until late summer at least. Maybe even through autumn if the portents remain portentous. If it continues to climb I'll just have to bite the bullet and get back in.

Any chance you could start a new thread for let's invest in the stock market and talk about it. Preferably on another forum?

Any chance you could start a new thread for let's invest in the stock market and talk about it. Preferably on another forum?
That’s not what this is. On this thread, there are times people report signs of the end. If we didn’t also note the recovery, a casual reader would get the impression it was nothing but an ever increasing stampede.

I don't invest in the stock market with any interest or enthusiasm. But as someone who's worked in the private sector for decades, I have no option but a money purchase pension. I don't have the luxury of a defined benefit pension. A large number of people are in the same situation but either don't realise it or choose to be oblivious.

SEC Frets about Share Buybacks, “Torrent of Corporate Trading Dominating the Market” and “Short-Term Financial Engineering”
Wolf Richter. Jun 11, 2018
“Right after the company tells the market the stock is cheap, executives overwhelmingly decide to sell.”
The surge in buybacks is largely due to the new corporate tax law. In the first quarter, companies actually repurchased an all-time-record $178 billion of their own shares. In terms of announcements of future share buybacks, May set an all-time record of $174 billion – in just one month!
"May set an all-time record of $174 billion"

it irks me this does - it is kinda counter intuitive to have company debt whilst slabs of cash reserves- big companies keep the debt maintained as its tax efficient, whilst spending their cash on share buy backs - when you have billions sitting and earning virtually fuck all, it is a bit of sleight of hand to buy back shares whilst not investing that cash back into the business itself. IYKWIM. short term profit taking rather than long term strategy

it irks me this does - it is kinda counter intuitive to have company debt whilst slabs of cash reserves- big companies keep the debt maintained as its tax efficient, whilst spending their cash on share buy backs - when you have billions sitting and earning virtually fuck all, it is a bit of sleight of hand to buy back shares whilst not investing that cash back into the business itself. IYKWIM. short term profit taking rather than long term strategy
I'm ambivalent. There is also the argument that if a company has nothing immediately to do with cash, it is better to return it to investors. That can be done via dividend but it is theoretically financially equivalent to instead do a buy-back. In perfect-perfect world the growth in share value should equal the cash being distributed. Of course, the question naturally arises of why a company has nothing better to do with its cash than return it, but that's a question for shareholders to ponder.

yep - Divis are not as efficient (to the holder) as a buyback ( tax and stuff I suppose ) . My issue is, I am unable to view these functions neutrally ,as my usual jaundice seeps out - as you said, what is a company doing with such grotesque amounts of cash on its books ? returning to yields article -too many execs stick to the letter of the law, just about/ not always , and take advantage of the buyback opportunities

How to get away with financial fraud
Thu 28 Jun 2018
There was a conspiracy to tell a lie (to the Libor phone panel, about a bank’s true cost of funding) in order to induce someone to enter into a bargain at a disadvantage to themselves. The general public caught on to all this a lot quicker than the experts did, which put the last nail in the coffin of the already weakened trust in the financial system. You could make a case that a lot of the populist politics of the subsequent decade can be traced back to the Libor affair.

Commentary: Are central banks embracing too much risk?
June 27, 2018
The Swiss National Bank now has about 20 percent of its reserves in equities, up from about 7 percent a decade ago. More than half of that is in U.S. equities. And to say that the Bank of Japan (BOJ) has become a player in that country’s equity market is an understatement; BOJ currently owns nearly 75 percent of the Japanese exchange-traded fund (ETF) market, again up sharply from just a few years ago. Other central banks, including the European Central Bank and South African Reserve Bank, also make similar purchases, although Japan and Switzerland are the most aggressive buyers of equities.

thats a bit of a risk considersing the rise and rise of equities in the past few years- the SNB dumped their CHF softish peg to to the Euro not so long ago to the shock of the markets- stealth underwriting stocks in the case of BoJ has plenty of previous and not all good

Estate agents suffering as sales fall
2J8kw.png

Oh dear, how sad, etc

How the capitalist class is strangling the American economy
July 9, 2018
As a result, we are further away today from the 1945-2007 trend than we were in 2010, and it's getting worse with every passing year. Productivity has also consistently been far below average since about 2011. If we had just followed the previous pattern of catch-up growth after recessions, American output would be something like $3 trillion (or more than the GDP of California) more than it is in reality. Indeed, we are now doing worse on this metric than at a similar point after the Great Depression.

The Greatest Depression

https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescoppola/2018/07/31/the-greatest-depression/#77ae294346dd

The IMF has just released its latest review of the Greek economy. “Following a deep and protracted contraction,” it says in its press release, “growth has finally returned to Greece.” The green light has been given for Greece's exit from its bailout program in August 2018.

For many, this is welcome news. Greece has turned a corner. The dark days are behind it, and the future will be bright. But is this really the end of Greece's troubles - or will there be more pain to come?

The magnitude of Greece's collapse over the last decade is extraordinary. Right at the start of the IMF’s review is this chart, which compares the fall in Greek output over the last 10 years with other major historical contractions, including the U.S.’s Great Depression:

Greece.png

The legacy of the Greatest Depression, even with the doubtful benefit of those structural reforms, is a terribly weak and deeply damaged economy. Adult unemployment, which peaked at over 25% at the height of the Greatest Depression, is still over 20%, while youth unemployment is twice as high. In a footnote to its review, the IMF comments that structural unemployment (the average excess of people over jobs across the business cycle) was 15% in 2016 and is expected to fall only gradually “over the next two decades.” Many of Greece’s young people will be middle-aged by the time there is any work for them. Some may never work at all. An entire generation thrown on the scrap heap.

Despite all the pain the Greeks have endured to fix their country’s finances, Greece’s fiscal situation remains extremely precarious. The IMF staff predictions show absolutely no room for fiscal expansion, even though it is desperately needed, not least to relieve very high poverty levels. One in four people in Greece is living below the poverty line.

Greece’s government is critically hampered by ridiculously tight fiscal targets not of its own making. The Eurozone creditors have agreed a package of debt relief that depends on the Greek government maintaining high primary fiscal surpluses virtually indefinitely. This is from the Eurogroup’s statement of June 22, 2018:

In this context the Eurogroup welcomes the commitment of Greece to maintain a primary surplus of 3.5% of GDP until 2022 and, thereafter to continue to ensure that its fiscal commitments are in line with the EU fiscal framework. Analysis of the European Commission suggests that this will imply a primary surplus of 2.2% of GDP on average in the period from 2023 to 2060.

As primary surpluses are reported as a percentage of GDP, achieving them depends not just on maintaining fiscal prudence, but on robust GDP growth. If growth falters, then the primary surplus targets will be missed, and the Greek government will have to inflict further tax rises and spending cuts on its population to comply with debt conditions, further reinforcing a downward economic trend. This is crazily pro-cyclical. When the next recession comes, as it inevitably will – after all, Greece is expected to maintain these primary surpluses for over 40 years – Greece will head down the Depression road again.

The IMF doesn’t believe that the primary surpluses envisaged by the Eurogroup are remotely achievable. It says that the largest primary surplus that could realistically be sustained for such a long time is 1.5%. If it is right, then Greece’s fiscal finances could quickly take a significant turn for the worse.

There’s a further risk too. Greece is currently paying very low interest rates on its debt. But when the bonds held by its Eurozone creditors mature, it will have to refinance them on the financial markets – if it can. It’s as yet unclear how much market access Greece will have by, say, 2030. But one thing is certain. Market financing will be at much higher interest rates, making Greece’s ability to service its debt more challenging.

“Greece will need to simultaneously achieve high GDP growth and run large primary fiscal surpluses for many years to keep public debt on a downward trajectory,” says Peter Dohlman, IMF mission chief for Greece. Since the staff review insists that large primary fiscal surpluses are a drag on growth, it is not difficult to deduce that the IMF thinks Greece will eventually need more debt relief.

This will not go down well with the Eurozone. But I fear the IMF is right. That battered old can has been kicked down the road once more. Greece has only had a reprieve, not a pardon.

In a few years’ time, when Greece once again faces debt default and Euro exit, what will the price of debt relief be? Well, unless there is a change of heart among Eurozone governments by then, the price will be yet more harsh spending cuts and tax rises, and perhaps another Depression. Greece does indeed have more pain to come.

So, no Global financial system implosion in the last ten years. Strange, I was expecting it sooner.... I will have to wait again, just like the uprising.

So, no Global financial system implosion in the last ten years. Strange, I was expecting it sooner.... I will have to wait again, just like the uprising.
The Financial Crisis of 2008 hasn't been resolved.

Wells Fargo Just Got Hit With Another Penalty for the Financial Crisis. This Time, It's $2.1 Billion
01/08/18
In its continuing string of settlements and scandals, Wells Fargo has agreed to pay $2.09 billion for actions that allegedly contributed to the 2008 Financial Crisis, the Department of Justice said Wednesday.

That new penalty comes on top of a $1.2 billion fine Wells Fargo agreed to pay in April 2016 in relation to the Financial Crisis. The Department of Justice alleged at the time that Wells had deceived the Federal Housing Administration into insuring risky mortgages that were ineligible for federal support between the years of 2001 and 2008.

RBS bankers joked about destroying the US housing market
15/08/18
RBS bankers joked about destroying the US housing market after making millions by trading loans that staff described as “total fucking garbage”, according to transcripts released as part of a $4.9bn (£3.8bn) settlement with US prosecutors.

Details of internal conversations at the bank emerged just weeks before the 10-year anniversary of the financial crisis, which saw RBS rescued with a £45bn bailout from the UK government.

Waited to see if any one posted the m this so I will do it

Argentina peso collapses/ rates up to 60%

Venezuela imploding every second

Turkish lira is now officially “flakey”.

This could be the prefect storm
I have been forecasting this for decades it seems but I think this could be the start

Batten down the hatches kids

Biggest sell off in 30 years - looks like long term holders are redeeming rather than rolling their holdings - in itself could just be a reaction to uncertainty and diversification of risk but it’s all interesting stuff.

This fear seems to be building

Back
Top Bottom