Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gianluca Vialli dies, aged 58

Lord Camomile

Yipchaa!
Former Chelsea striker and manager Gianluca Vialli has died at the age 58.

Vialli was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2017 but after saying in April 2020 that he had been given the all-clear, he was re-diagnosed in 2021.

Seemed like a decent guy. Many years ago, I read half of The Italian Job, the book he wrote with Gabriele Marcotti, which is more than I can say for a lot of writers! Was interesting, part of my initial introduction to football tactics and infrastructure.

Last edited:
Absolutely Loved him as a player.

Haven't watched the video but one of my fav' memories of him was some away game when the pitch was covered in snow, I think it was a European away game where he got a brace

RIP Luca.

Pancreatic cancer :(

Absolutely Loved him as a player.

Haven't watched the video but one of my fav' memories of him was some away game when the pitch was covered in snow, I think it was a European away game where he got a brace

RIP Luca.

Pancreatic cancer :(
Probably in the cup winners cup?

He is part of some of my very early memories of football. Had no idea he was ill so that's sad to hear.

What a shocker, just 58. One of the first great overseas players to come to the Premier League, such a likeable guy and so stylish on and off the pitch. RIP

I remember hearing that his dad was absolutely loaded and thinking he must really love football.
Why be a top player and then a manager when you pretty much were already sorted for money.
I kinda really respected him from that point for doing what he loved and excelling at it.

RIP
Always came across as a decent man. i'm not a chelsea fan but i liked him and thought he was a great player and manager.
58! fucking hell i'm only a few years off that myself, too many are going far too young of late.

I remember hearing that his dad was absolutely loaded and thinking he must really love football.
Why be a top player and then a manager when you pretty much were already sorted for money.
I kinda really respected him from that point for doing what he loved and excelling at it.
Being a top footballer is one of the few things money can't buy.

I get your point, but can totally imagine lots of rich people wanting to be sports stars, musicians etc, as they want for nothing else.

There's probably loads of examples of this. Ronnie O'Sullivan comes to mind. His dad made millions running sex shops before he was jailed for murder.

Anyway, RIP Vialli. I didn't even know he was ill. Great player.

Great player both in Italy and here. I always remember the excitement when we signed him as a player at Chelsea and he never let us down. Later he won two trophies for us as manager. Articulate and intelligent as a pundit. He had been treated for cancer over quite a long period as I recall . Very sad news and so young.

RIP. Am not a Chelsea fan but remember him too as a player manager, which is very unusual in recent years. And yeah he always seemed a decent bloke.

Very sad news , I remember the excitement of all these Italian players coming over to play over here , very glamorous 😂 and only 58.😰

Pancreatic cancer is one of my biggest fears as it took out not one but two of my grandparents. One relatively young and the other in old age.
It's a real bastard no chance mate cancer.

Being a top footballer is one of the few things money can't buy.

I get your point, but can totally imagine lots of rich people wanting to be sports stars, musicians etc, as they want for nothing else.

There's probably loads of examples of this. Ronnie O'Sullivan comes to mind. His dad made millions running sex shops before he was jailed for murder.
Yes, money can't buy you the thrills, the achievements, the fame etc of being a top sports star. In any case, if you have the talent to reach the highest level then you'd probably want to make the most of that if you enjoy it while you're young.

Another example is Jessica Pegula, who's now a top 10 WTA tennis player - her dad is a multi-billionaire and owns the Buffalo Bills in the NFL, as well as other US sports franchises.

RIP Vialli. He was part of the great Juve team in the 90s, when I started following them. I think he lived near me when he was based in England. A friend met him and said he was a real gentleman. I know he was involved with setting up a gelato shop in Bromley, which does delicious ice cream. Home - Unico Gelato & Caffè

RIP. Am not a Chelsea fan but remember him too as a player manager, which is very unusual in recent years.
If memory serves me right Chelsea had Hoddle, Gullit and Vialli successively, all doing the player-manager role.

Sad news this. He was a cracking player. When I was a kid, I had an Italian Football sticker book and it had Vialli in it with his hair.

iu

It took me years to realise he was the same person when he came to Chelsea.

RIP Luca

Back
Top Bottom