Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Getting from Toulouse (airport) to Carcassonne

mod

A modernist
Has anyone done this journey before?

I'm aware theres a train from Toulouse station direct to Carcassonne but I get in quite late (10pm). Will be alone and know maybe 5 words of French. I dont know this part of france at all. Thinking I may need to spend my first of 4 nights in Toulouse.

I'm going to the CONVENANZA festival in Carcassonne for my 50th at the end of Sep. All my mates are flying direct to Carcassonne from Stansted. I live in Brighton and flights to Toulouse from Gatwick were extremely cheap.

I've travelled around a lot of Germany alone but speak a little German which makes a huge difference (obviously). The language barrier and time of arrival is making me a little anxious about getting to Carcassonne that day.

Tbh, I'd recommend staying the night in Toulouse as you'll be a bit screwed if there are any issues with your flight.

Toulouse is very pretty so a relaxed breakfast in the morning then the train to Carcassone sounds like a much better and way less stressful option.

Toulouse has a lovely vibe about it and is worth staying for a day or two. The Ibis Style is reasonable, nice and bang in the centre of town. :)

Reactions: mod
Tbh, I'd recommend staying the night in Toulouse as you'll be a bit screwed if there are any issues with your flight.

Toulouse is very pretty so a relaxed breakfast in the morning then the train to Carcassone sounds like a much better and way less stressful option.

Yeah thats exactly my fear. Being stranded in Toulouse at midnight without somewhere to stay so think I'll do as you suggest. I'm aware Toulouse is meant to be a lovely place so could be worse.

Enjoy Covenanza, we've not been yet but will make it one year.
Thank you. A few of my lot went last yeah and said it was amazing. Its held in the castle and the music isn;t the only attraction. Meant to be a beautiful place with lots of history stuff to explore (which i like).

To be honest they were all going again and I'm not actually 50 till October. It just saved me having to organise anything! Just meant a few more people are coming.

There are (or at least were a couple of years ago) some ok, cheapish airport hotels at Toulouse a 5 minute walk from arrivals.

There's also tram from the airport into town (didn't use it as arrived late at night and headed off first thing).

The airport was pretty small and chilled iirc.

There are (or at least were a couple of years ago) some ok, cheapish airport hotels at Toulouse a 5 minute walk from arrivals.

There's also tram from the airport into town (didn't use it as arrived late at night and headed off first thing).

The airport was pretty small and chilled iirc.

Thanks but would sooner be in the town centre (or close). I lived in Housnlow for 15 years and that'll be like the french equivalent (which by coincidence is a french word). As is coïncidence. I can speak french.

Toulouse has a lovely vibe about it and is worth staying for a day or two. The Ibis Style is reasonable, nice and bang in the centre of town. :)

Perfect thanks. Room booked there for that one night. Its very close to the train station too.

I might still try to make it to Carcassonne that evening but will see how I'm feeling and all the stress now removed.

Last edited:
I lived in Toulouse for 4 years. Lovely place! Check out the Japanese gardens off Boulevard Lascrosses. Also some nice leafy canal walks. St Etienne cathedral is special. Place Wilson nice. And the botanic gardens (Jardin des Plantes). Oh là là!

Amazing. Thank you.

Toulouse is very nice. And of course hosts the Airbus museum and the cite de space museum which is possibly the best space museum outside Kennedy Space Centre…

Toulouse is very nice. And of course hosts the Airbus museum and the cite de space museum which is possibly the best space museum outside Kennedy Space Centre…
The last time I was there, stayed with a friend of a friend who worked for Airbus.

He was going to give us a tour of where he worked (his specialty was the wings) but we got up too late and were way too hungover so... :oops:

The last time I was there, stayed with a friend of a friend who worked for Airbus.

He was going to give us a tour of where he worked (his specialty was the wings) but we got up too late and were way too hungover so... :oops:

I hope it was a good evening! As sounds like the trip would have been great …

You can do a little tour of the factory as a mop, although actually it isn’t really, just their PR pavilion and then a viewing gallery of the space they use for final pre delivery testing. When I went, quite a long time ago, they had an A380 in. Despite going to the area and their museum and the space museum quite a few times - we’ve got friends who live between Toulouse and Carcassonne - I’ve never gone back to the factory visitor centre .

( Castle Nordre) home of the Foreign Legion- though you wouldn’t know it when you visit.

Back
Top Bottom