Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Genius of music?

I think maybe the notion of "genius" is inherently misogynistic, or at least very skewed to favour men for most of history.
Modern history is a patriarchal history, so yeah it's to be expected.
Where women have dominated over men in modern Western music, imo, is as singers (as opposed to composers).

I disagree ... In your opinion who is the greatest abstract or ambient musician?
I have no idea, it’s not a particular genre I follow or know about.

However, I’m classically trained and have an extensive knowledge of music theory. Yet I wouldn’t have a clue where to start in creating some of the more experimental stuff out there, never mind once you get into the realms of the really pioneering work of groups like BEAST, the director of which has an office just down the corridor from me at work.

You might as well argue that because a tennis player wouldn’t score many goals in a football match they’re not an athlete. You’re comparing different skill sets, it’s pointless.

Oh. Like Yoko Ono?

I'm sure some people consider her a genius. Fluxus was her thing wasn't it, a kind of dadaist project? It was about more than just music, but obviously being narried to a beatle will have brought music into her world in a big way. I'm not familiar enough with her work to have a strong opinion tbh.

As it concerns her singing voice, is she really a worse singer than any number of widely adored blokes who couldn't carry a tune in a skip but seem to get away with it?

I'm sure some people consider her a genius. Fluxus was her thing wasn't it, a kind of dadaist project? It was about more than just music, but obviously being narried to a beatle will have brought music into her world in a big way. I'm not familiar enough with her work to have a strong opinion tbh.

As it concerns her singing voice, is she really a worse singer than any number of widely adored blokes who couldn't carry a tune in a skip but seem to get away with it?

I’m checking her out now and it’s interesting. She has 800,000 + listeners on Spotify. Then I realised there’s some Lennon stuff on there.
But drilling down I’ve so far found Kiss Kiss Kiss which Isn’t at all bad. Sort of Mark E Smith musically. Now I’m onto one with the Bleachers which isn’t terrible either.

What's the difference between a genius and a virtuoso? Is a virtuoso creative or is it merely the ability to produce sounds accurately?

Paul Heaton &

Just did a quick count and we've listed 60 male geniuses, and 6 female - not complaining cause I named a bloke too, but that's pretty stark.

Jacqui Abbot

Joni, Etta, Cilla, Lulu, Tori, Kiki, Sandie, Billie, Kate, Ella, Arethra, Linda, Siouxsie, Patti, Annie,

Clearly the way to breaking the glass ceiling of the patriarchally weighted music industry is by choosing a stage name that ends in a vowel.

Unless of course you like all the female artists ending in a Y. Then it just gets all edgy.....

Amy, Kirsty, Emmy,

anyway

Peter Gabriel

Just did a quick count and we've listed 60 male geniuses, and 6 female - not complaining cause I named a bloke too, but that's pretty stark.
Uncannily though it'll be mostly men waving their willy's proclaiming who is, and who isn't, a conceptual, prog-rock, dub sub-genre musical genius on this thread before too long. It's already simmering :D

I find going into a vinyl record shop with my partner these days a bit like going me going into a knickers shop with her in 1987. :D Narnia has a right royal laugh at the nerdishness of men and their their behaviour in independent vinyl outlets.. She just buys what she wants without having to talk about her entire collection of limited editions. :)

Men just geek.

What's the difference between a genius and a virtuoso? Is a virtuoso creative or is it merely the ability to produce sounds accurately?
I think with genius here were generally talking in terms of composition rather than performance?

In performance, a true virtuouso is more than accurate - you do get some famous soloists who are very accurate but lack interpretation and emotional depth. A true virtuoso, for me, brings their whole self to a performance and conveys something beyond the written notes.

In current times, I'd like to put forward Louis Cole and Alice Pheobe Lou (as Strongboi).

Nothing produced in recent years can fucking touch this cool af jam imo.

Pete Townsend- Quadrophenia is a masterpiece and as close as rock gets to opera.
Maybe they should call it Rock Opera

The menchs from Kraftwerk. Really done something original and groundbreaking.
Not many musicians can genuinely claim that

Back
Top Bottom