Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

That thing about the refugees welcome banner is fucking shithouse. What I don't get is that the people concerned are, when you engage them on just about any subject, really nice and fucking smart into the bargain.

But yeah, let them have it their way. We want all the lads. Bring them on. Come one, come all, with your shite beards and your Jack Whitehall DVDs and your Alt-J records. Because the reason we criticised their post was that WE JUST LOVE THE LADS.

(Incidentally, the kind of people they're mocking don't seem to me 'lads' in the traditional sense, or even in the nineties new lad sense. I mean, I reckon I'm more of a lad than them and I'm soft as shit and completely lah-di-dah left-wing by nearly everyone in Britain's standards.)
I miss you. what game can you next make? Canvey away? yes.

Also, I love the fact they've used one of our comments as their new Twitter bio. A mate of mine pointed out a year ago how this had become an ultraleft trend, and if there's one thing about the Clapton Ultras it's that they like to be on point.

I miss you. what game can you next make? Canvey away? yes.

Ah, that's sweet. No Canvey away for me, it's an absolute mission. Vaguely toying with the idea of Harrow in the FAT next week as I have a perverse liking for that competition (probably because Darlo won it). 80% won't happen. Definitely Lewes away, unless - which is obviously not improbable - it gets weathered off. Obviously at Lewes we can have a right old bond with their section of parentally-bought-trainers-wearing homophobic-chanting fooligans, because we're MASSIVE LADS.

If you're not careful they'll ask you not to come to the ground.

Aw man. I'm actually quite pissed off about this. I like the Clapton Ultras; I've spilled about five pages worth of ink on them in my book about why all the people who criticise them (and Dulwich fans) can fuck off. By the time it comes out next year they'll probably have fully excommunicated me.

It would probably all be a bit more grown-up if both me and them conducted this argument in a less pass-agg way: I'm posting this on a Dulwich message board, and they're subtweeting me. Bit dishonest on both sides, really.

I'm off to visit a mate on the weekend of the 31st - could probably do Canvey but it's a right pain in the arse and will consume my whole day. Not even any good pubs there, are there?

(I have always wanted to go to the ground and the place. Worked on a film a few years back with the guy who directed Oil City Confidential, which is about Dr Feelgood and Canvey Island. Figure it has some form of charm.)

(I have always wanted to go to the ground and the place. Worked on a film a few years back with the guy who directed Oil City Confidential, which is about Dr Feelgood and Canvey Island. Figure it has some form of charm.)
one of my favourite away grounds. probably the first time i saw Christian Burt more drunk than me. And try and chase vornstyle76 to mrs vornstyles friends party.
great day out. especially crossing tower bridge at the end telling everyone to turn round and go back to south london. #massivelads

one of my favourite away grounds. probably the first time i saw Christian Burt more drunk than me. And try and chase vornstyle76 to mrs vornstyles friends party.
great day out. especially crossing tower bridge at the end telling everyone to turn round and go back to south london. #massivelads

Yeah, I've heard the tale of the attempted party-crashing. What absolute #ledges.

Better go now, I'm about to eat a #curry out of a #RickStein (#ledges) book (although books are not for #ledge) because I am a #lad.

The pub nearest the ground (I forget it's name) was perfectly fine last time. Not for anyone who's going to sulk if they haven't got the finest range of real ales on but it was spacious, friendly and had a pool table.

That thing about the refugees welcome banner is fucking shithouse. What I don't get is that the people concerned are, when you engage them on just about any subject, really nice and fucking smart into the bargain.

But yeah, let them have it their way. We want all the lads. Bring them on. Come one, come all, with your shite beards and your Jack Whitehall DVDs and your Alt-J records. Because the reason we criticised their post was that WE JUST LOVE THE LADS.

(Incidentally, the kind of people they're mocking don't seem to me 'lads' in the traditional sense, or even in the nineties new lad sense. I mean, I reckon I'm more of a lad than them and I'm soft as shit and completely lah-di-dah left-wing by nearly everyone in Britain's standards.)

Agree mate. That tweet has been deleted and I've recieved apologies.

The pub nearest the ground (I forget it's name) was perfectly fine last time. Not for anyone who's going to sulk if they haven't got the finest range of real ales on but it was spacious, friendly and had a pool table.

Hope it's got one of those buckin' bronco machines, a slightly salacious 'adult' video quizzer and any other facilities us massive lads might need.

The "you're shit...ah" is only a bit embarrassing because it's so hackneyed and tired.
To be honest, I find the "makes Messi look shIte" chant equally crass and clichéd, but who am I criticise what people want to sing. Especially with my voice which fails miserably to match any stereotype about the Welsh being good singers.

I'd move away from my own voice when I'm singing, if it were possible. Maybe I should take up ventriloquy?

Last edited:
Hope it's got one of those buckin' bronco machines, a slightly salacious 'adult' video quizzer and any other facilities us massive lads might need.

The bar at their clubhouse is probably the best bet near the ground. There are a couple of (barely) average pubs near Benfleet station.

I quite like the sound of this place, not too far from the station - Benfleet Motor Boat & Yacht Club, Benfleet • Pub Details • whatpub.com. Looks worth checking out, then taxis to ground.

Yeah they are a decent bunch.

Did we establish when you are coming for a game? Cba to scroll back ;)

I am vaguely contemplating Canvey now Dunc has found us a yacht club where we can pretend to be in Howard's Way, Lovejoy or Bergerac. Proper mission from Brighton though, and we've got Bognor and Lewes relatively soon.

I don't half miss the lot of you.

I am vaguely contemplating Canvey now Dunc has found us a yacht club where we can pretend to be in Howard's Way, Lovejoy or Bergerac. Proper mission from Brighton though, and we've got Bognor and Lewes relatively soon.

Can I be Jim Bergerac please....please?

It's absolute mutual mate.

images
#lad

Back
Top Bottom