Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Think we discussed previously Dulwich Hamlet once had a women's team - any news of a new one being formed or a local women's team we could adopt similar to Peckham Town link

Womens team

Mishi previously posted

We did have a womens' team for a few years in the mid-nineties...

Can't remember which season exactly..but they were self-financing, and simply 'ticked boxes' really, with not much integration into the Club. (My personal opinion)
They were an established side, called Lambeth WFC, I think from memory. they approached us to become part of Dulwich Hamlet & changed their name. they had two sides, a First team & Reserves and played in the Greater London League. The First Team were in the Premier Division, and were ok, with a couple of really half-decent players for their level. The Reserves played in one of the lower divisions, and were 'keen' but, to be frank, not very good.
They only used Champion Hill for home matches in the Womens FA Cup. From memory other home games were played somewhere over in Wandsworth, can't recall the name of the park, might have been somewhere round Garrett Lane, from vague memory, sort of Earlsfield way?

There was then some sort of 'split', and most of the First team left, and they retained the Premier slot, with most of the Reserves stepping up, & only had one team...but after a few months, of teams being short, &/or not fulfilling fixtures, they folded mid-season.

I went to some of their games, they did move more local, and used Pynners Close for home games, which is one of the sports grounds 'across the road' from Southwark Sports.

To be honest, again in my personal opinion, they weren't a very well run outfit.

When we get a main all-weather stadium I think it's vital that we incorporate a womens side into the Club set-up.

Finally another Great article on Dulwich Hamlet

bit.ly/1XMqzXe
Great article, and this paragraph hits the nail on the head in explaining our phenomenal growth in attendance figures:

"There are people in the world with varying degrees of an interest in football. These range from outright obsessives who fill every spare minute of their time devouring every single live match, book, newspaper article, whatever they can get hold of, on the subject. There are people for whom going to a match on a Saturday afternoon is a ritual maintained through habit, a little like non-religious people who eat fish on Fridays. And there are people for whom football is an occasionally diverting pastime, which may kill a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon if there’s nothing better to do. If we are to indulge the “football equals religion for the secular” school of thinking for a moment, we’re a broad church. There’s space enough for all – particularly at the level of the game at which clubs such as Dulwich Hamlet ply their trade."

Re: Women team, I think it would be great and definitely something the club should be looking into in the future especially if/when we get a new 4G pitch. At the moment we just haven't got the facilities. Currently the youth team are playing matches at Rutland Walk Sydenham where the facilities and changing rooms are horrific.

Think we discussed previously Dulwich Hamlet once had a women's team - any news of a new one being formed or a local women's team we could adopt similar to Peckham Town link
The news would be the same as what I posted and you just quoted. Can't see it happening at all until we have a new weather pitch at the new stadium...and it would hopefully be an aim of a supporter-owned club. Although, if I recall from memory, when some DHST Board members were asked about this when interviewed on the 'Forward The Hamlet' podcast a few months ago, the response appeared (to me at least) very non-committal.

The news would be the same as what I posted and you just quoted. Can't see it happening at all until we have a new weather pitch at the new stadium...and it would hopefully be an aim of a supporter-owned club. Although, if I recall from memory, when some DHST Board members were asked about this when interviewed on the 'Forward The Hamlet' podcast a few months ago, the response appeared (to me at least) very non-committal.

Said discussion is from 19 minutes and 55 seconds in episode 22 - Forward The Hamlet | The Premier Dulwich Hamlet Podcast: FTH 22

Dulwich Hamlet FC under 11s
pre season tournament

congrats to Lou Scott on 5th year as manager - we need to give full support to our Youth teams its how Dulwich Hamlet was built in the 30s and 50s

COu1aZ7WIAA6g1k.jpg

Reactions: EDC
Dulwich Hamlet FC under 11s
pre season tournament

congrats to Lou Scott on 5th year as manager - we need to give full support to our Youth teams its how Dulwich Hamlet was built in the 30s and 50s

View attachment 76567
Indeed..though there are two different strands to young Hamlet teams. I think this is not a Dulwich Hamlet FC team...but a team from the Dulwich Hamlet Junior Football Club...which is independently funded & run away from the senior Dulwich Hamlet Football Club & ASPIRE Academy. I am not entirely sure of that, with regard to this team photo, as I'm not too 'up' on the younger teams.

But there are definately two separate strands.

And the First Team are already a continuation of building from within, the original Juniors (as in Youth Team) being established in about 1922, I believe) with many players having come through the ranks of our Youth Team, under the excellent guidance of Gavin's ASPIRE Academy.

The comparison with younger age groups & players coming through is not correct, as in the past we never had young age groups. The first time the Club had younger age groups, as in below the oldest youth age group (thus the Junior Team or Youth Team, in 'modern' parlance) was when Dulwich Hamlet Junior Football Club took our name, in 1989, having been asked to link up by the then chairman of the Football Club, Steve Dye senior; they had previously been playing as Southwark Sports Junior Football Club.

Ref: Pinnace.

I managed to get Kail & Coleman late last night. Not cheap but what the hell!

i wonder who they there where interviewing at the end ?
good little clip of the crowd singing the keeper was south londons
number one

Speak for yourself. Peckham Town are a friendly, but very minor, local club...but I certainly haven't adopted them. A small handfuls of our fans pop down there occasionally...but to call them 'adopted' is a bit far fetched...

Speak for yourself. Peckham Town are a friendly, but very minor, local club...but I certainly haven't adopted them. A small handfuls of our fans pop down there occasionally...but to call them 'adopted' is a bit far fetched...
Not what he was saying. (I think) he meant Peckham have adopted an existing women's team, perhaps Dulwich could do the same, rather than form their own from scratch.
eta actually, i'm not sure he did mean that. whatever

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom