Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Indeed, a superb book. Just starting his latest, on football managers..includes two mentions of Dulwich Hamlet in the index..first thing I always look for, for some strange reason! ;)

And to be fair to Millwall...they have a fair point on not liking the middle class nigels from selhurst! ;)

Indeed, a superb book. Just starting his latest, on football managers..includes two mentions of Dulwich Hamlet in the index..first thing I always look for, for some strange reason! ;)

Dulwich are in his scouting book as well, with reference to that game when scouts from half the country turned up to watch Michael Chambers. "Suddenly everyone's there. There's sixty-three scouts at a game, watching this one kid."

3000 tickets were bought to attend a level 7 league match - some were Dulwich Hamlet, some were Maidstone, some came for the party, some came to tick the box on their groud-hopping guide, some probably got lost going to Sainsburys. I bought two and didn't use either because when the significance of this match as a competitive fixture dropped to dead-rubber status I went to watch my league team - does any of this matter beyond the first part of this post?

It does to me. If your point is 3000 to attend a level 7 match then yes it's a magnificent achievement. However, those not there such as the poster on the Millwall forum has got it completely wrong. Maidstone probably outnumbered the home fans in pretty much away game they played last season but not at Dulwich Hamlet. If they were that great they could have travelled to Dulwich and buy them but they didn't and all credit to Hamlet fans along with as you say neutrals and ground hoppers for making up the majority of the attendance, not the other way round.

Football fans are the biggest bullshitters around when it comes to numbers, usually made afterwards when they are not in attendance.

It does to me. If your point is 3000 to attend a level 7 match then yes it's a magnificent achievement. However, those not there such as the poster on the Millwall forum has got it completely wrong. Maidstone probably outnumbered the home fans in pretty much away game they played last season but not at Dulwich Hamlet. If they were that great they could have travelled to Dulwich and buy them but they didn't and all credit to Hamlet fans along with as you say neutrals and ground hoppers for making up the majority of the attendance, not the other way round.

Football fans are the biggest bullshitters around when it comes to numbers, usually made afterwards when they are not in attendance.
that's called fraud

Dunno. Every club's message board seems to be full of self-appointedly ITK 'casuals', Tommy Robinson worshippers and, for the fainter of heart, boring UKIP wankers, but I still think there are a section of Millwall fans who make a point of order of trying to come across like this, taking pride in 'winding up the politically correct middle-class pricks' and so on and so forth.

(It just struck me, though, when I went for a coffee, that I got quite defensive when all to nah reported the terrible behaviour of some Darlo fans at Salford last season. Perhaps I'm being a bit of a hypocrite about the whole stereotyping issue.)

Even on here, when that whole Clapton v Celtic stuff kicked off there were people absolutely queuing up to imply that they knew the 'real' hooligan types. 'They've no idea what they're letting themselves in for' etc.

The appeal of all that stuff beyond those who are actually involved is an odd one really.

And to be fair to Millwall...they have a fair point on not liking the middle class nigels from selhurst! ;)

Closer in status to Dulwich than the SE25 mob these days and as several on the Millwall forum thread mentioned they'd probably get beat on the pitch by Dulwich these days. Still there's always Fisher for a local rival and competitive fixture from next year :D

In fact we only include those season ticket holders that are at the game whereas most clubs add on non attending season ticket holders.

I've got all of the originals and two or three spares, as well. Are you interested in them?

I only have a couple myself, the two with the highest numbers from memory so if not those yes I definately am thanks.

I only have a couple myself, the two with the highest numbers from memory so if not those yes I definately am thanks.

In this case I've got three for you - 1371 (Evans), 1376 (Young) and 1376 (Kendrick). Will bring them with me, when I'm over next time.

EDC all to nah coincidentally I'm writing a book about the Nunhead players in this series of cards!

I'm very interested in that one, when you've finished it! Did you read my short article about the series in The Moral Victory? If you've got questions about the series itself, feel free to send me a mail. Perhaps I've got some useful information in my notes, books and catalogues...

I'm very interested in that one, when you've finished it! Did you read my short article about the series in The Moral Victory? If you've got questions about the series itself, feel free to send me a mail. Perhaps I've got some useful information in my notes, books and catalogues...

Luckily there's no set deadline set for its release (thankfully!) so it might be a while until it's published. I did read your article in the MV which was great. I believe there's a need for someone to write a book about the Dulwich cards which I may do if someone else doesn't do it first! If I have any questions about the series I'll let you know!

Anyone know if the Cherry Tree Pub opposite the train station is currently closed? Planning to meet people before the next game there and heard a rumour it had closed. Cheers.

They've done a nice job with the place but the biggest improvement has to be the staff even if there seems to be a predominance of beards! (Don't mention the H-word). Oh and artisan style aprons as part of the uniform. Prices good though; £3.60 for Southpaw.

Back
Top Bottom