Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

This whole hipster/leftie stuff...yeah, it's lazy...but be honest...look at our crowd and it's easy to see why. The 'myth' isn't helped by some of the statements-'tongue in cheek' or not-that one or two of our more, shall we say, 'camera loving' fans spout in their quest for attention...
Anyone hoping to see a parade of waxed moustache types rolling up on penny farthings at Leatherhead yesterday must have been very disappointed.

I read this thread and I think many are guilty of taking this and the collective that is our supporters a tad too seriously. Articles in the mainstream media about this club only increases our exposure and footprint - more people talking about Dulwich Hamlet whether positive, critical, incorrect can't be a bad thing.

A marketing machine could only dream of building exposure like this for what is a level 7 football club in a very crowded geographical area with no shortage of other teams at level 6-8 a bus ride away.

Just don't be taking ourselves too seriously and we'll be fine. Remember its Tuscany, sexy football and us.

In the main I agree...'all publicity is good publicity'...it's the lazy journalists I can't stand...

But if they were that bad I wouldn't talk to them...the exposure we've got over the last twelve months is unprecedented...

Not all Millwall are like that...there are a few positive comments in there...but, hey, let's stick to the old stereotypes eh?

Aye, the scant positive comments are probably those that have actually been, but the overwhelming majority of comments are hate filled homophobic rants and violence.

Not all Millwall are like that...there are a few positive comments in there...but, hey, let's stick to the old stereotypes eh?

Not all Millwall are like that, no, but there are enough Millwall who don't seem to care that people think that about them, and actively revel in the stereotype. I have to say that I don't believe any other clubs' fans turned up at local non-league grounds to 'welcome' Darlington with knives, screwdrivers etc - which is what Millwall did at Fisher the season we won the Conference. (Caveat: I was only eight, and obviously not there, but it's well-remembered.)

Predictable, anyway - all this post-'96er crap, some from people I expect are actually too young to remember 1996 themselves.

It's also really odd that there's a whole swathe of football fans who think the 'golden era' of terrace violence was basically the entire history of football pre-1990/1996/ Nick Hornby. The real madness only went on from the turn of the seventies to the early nineties; what they call 'real football' existed for less time than has elapsed since it ended. Certainly, the generation immediately above them wouldn't recognise 'real football' as people kicking the shit out of each other at train stations. It's a pretty narrow window of 'reality', whatever you think of the morality of it.

If irony was a football club

this. the responses on there show exactly why "Lefties getting involved" in football is happening. Not being allowed to be racist, sexist or homophobic... oh the horror. Football is over.

Interestingly enough I was given some Millwall stickers on Saturday which were along the lines of "Millwall Anti-fascists" with a lion ripping up a swastika flag.... So if they're worried about lefties infiltrating football they should be looking closer to home.... cos they're already at the Den it seems...... hope they can deal with that wouldnt want to see their fans fighting each other rather than coming together to support the team.... oh wait a minute....

Last edited:

Agreed, I think the comments posted would be similar on any other club's messageboards and I count my own Chelsea amongst them.

I wish the facts about the Maidstone match could be put right though, it was all ticket and Maidstone were given 1000 so in a 3,000 crowd they where outnumbered 2-1 and not the other way round as one poster has guessed.

I wish the facts about the Maidstone match could be put right though, it was all ticket and Maidstone were given 1000 so in a 3,000 crowd they where outnumbered 2-1 and not the other way round as one poster has guessed.

Although a lot of Maidstone fans who work in London did come and buy tickets from Dulwich rather than 1,000 they were given.

Agreed, I think the comments posted would be similar on any other club's messageboards and I count my own Chelsea amongst them.

Dunno. Every club's message board seems to be full of self-appointedly ITK 'casuals', Tommy Robinson worshippers and, for the fainter of heart, boring UKIP wankers, but I still think there are a section of Millwall fans who make a point of order of trying to come across like this, taking pride in 'winding up the politically correct middle-class pricks' and so on and so forth.

(It just struck me, though, when I went for a coffee, that I got quite defensive when all to nah reported the terrible behaviour of some Darlo fans at Salford last season. Perhaps I'm being a bit of a hypocrite about the whole stereotyping issue.)

3000 tickets were bought to attend a level 7 league match - some were Dulwich Hamlet, some were Maidstone, some came for the party, some came to tick the box on their groud-hopping guide, some probably got lost going to Sainsburys. I bought two and didn't use either because when the significance of this match as a competitive fixture dropped to dead-rubber status I went to watch my league team - does any of this matter beyond the first part of this post?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong...I'm not defending the majority of comments on there...but are still lots of decent Millwall fans, and yes-shock, horror!-some on the left, some of whom also pop down to Champion Hill.

Yes, a larger than usual contingent of their fans play up to their stereotypes...but that's no reason to criticise Millwall as a whole...the club has, like it or not, made huge strides, it's just overshadowed by the 'louder minority'.

If we make such assumptions of everyone at Millwall based on the ones we don't like we can't really complain when we're stereotyped as hipsters etc.

As for the Maidstone attendance...they had a total of 900 tickets in the end, and some bought a few more from us. It's widely agreed by our fans and theirs that they brought around a thousand.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not defending the majority of comments on there...but are still lots of decent Millwall fans, and yes-shock, horror!-some on the left, some of whom also pop down to Champion Hill.

Yes, a larger than usual contingent of their fans play up to their stereotypes...but that's no reason to criticise Millwall as a whole...the club has, like it or not, made huge strides, it's just overshadowed by the 'louder minority'.

If we make such assumptions of everyone at Millwall based on the ones we don't like we can't really complain when we're stereotyped as hipsters etc.

Good points well made. I do, for what it's worth, know Millwall fans who are good people, whether they're commitedly 'on the left' or not. It's just I resent the way some of their fans think they're the be all and end all when it comes to defining what a 'real' football supporter is.

It's not just some of those Millwall fans with that attitude...their right to 'define' what a 'proper' football fan is...is 'ingrained' in most fans of most clubs.

To be honest, if say fifteen years ago, we had travelled to a club like Dulwich are now, I would have been one of those going 'who the fuck are these wankers'....

It's not just some of those Millwall fans with that attitude...their right to 'define' what a 'proper' football fan is...is 'ingrained' in most fans of most clubs.

To be honest, if say fifteen years ago, we had travelled to a club like Dulwich are now, I would have been one of those going 'who the fuck are these wankers'....

Maybe so. Perhaps it's just the proximity of Millwall and Dulwich that makes this stand out.

Back
Top Bottom