Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

gambling never pays off !

Yes, it does.

CMPJa5xWUAAB4sN.jpg

Nope...that's one bet won by that person. If you can supply details of all bets won & lost by the same punter over the last 12 months, and the 12 months before that, and so on...to establish a pattern of 'wins' and 'losses' you may have a point. But you have just illustrated a single bet won...

On a point of order.... then he should have stated "gambling never pays off over the long term". Dulwich are now favourites for the title down to 4 to 1.

Nope...that's one bet won by that person. If you can supply details of all bets won & lost by the same punter over the last 12 months, and the 12 months before that, and so on...to establish a pattern of 'wins' and 'losses' you may have a point. But you have just illustrated a single bet won...
I never waste my money at the bookies !

Rapid Wien on "Rapid Spirit"

From Wiki

Rapid Wien have a reputation of winning through strength and endurance – a virtue known as the Rapidgeist or "Rapid Spirit".

Almost since the club's beginnings, Rapid fans have announced the last fifteen minutes of the game by way of the traditional "Rapidviertelstunde" – rhythmic clapping at home or away no matter what the score. The first mention of the practise goes back to 1913, and on 21 April 1918 a newspaper wrote about the fans clapping at the beginning of the "Rapidviertelstunde". Over the decades, there were many instances where the team managed to turn around a losing position by not giving up and, with their fans' support, fighting their way to a win just before the final whistle.

Call me old fashioned...much prefer a decent sing song for the latter part of a game....

Always preferred Simmering & Wiener Sportklub as my Austrian teams anyway, even though my aunt was a Rapid fan.

Can someone point me in the right direction for the post asking for donated football boots, we have a couple of pairs of kids ones going.

Thanks.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/8005680

I know this doesnt relate to the Hamlet (although id chuck us in at 7th at least here!), the Huffington Post have rated Lewes FC's ground as one of the top 10 football ground experiences within Europe, along the likes of Dortmund, Barcelona and Londoners Fulham. Just found it interesting to see a team within our division get notification like that. Number 8 though would be an amazing backdrop to play at though.

Maybe we should have a short "Social Media & Hamlet" meeting for those interested in blogging, tweets, podcasts, photos, etc
good to learn lessons - how we can improve etc

very impressed with Forward the Hamlets visual and podcasts, Brixton Buzz reports
maybe an hour before a Saturday game some time ?

Why? People post/blog/tweet/whatever as they feel fit, surely?

Are you suggesting there should be some sort of 'official terrace dictat' to follow?

And a hour before the game...I think most fans will have more pressing matters, as in downing their drinks across an assortment of pre-match watering holes, rather than holding a meeting about social media.

Personally, the best place, if there is interest in your idea, would surely be a dedicated thread on this forum?

We are going to get good articles, lazy articles and bad articles
that's journalism - not a lot we can do

If we are going to be a "popular" club with a number of "personalities" then its going to come with the territory

Yes we have have some hipsters, but they are not driving the work of the club or fans (with maybe the exception of the food on offer - still much concern about price rather what's on offer)

Our community work in all its formats schools, fetes, shows, social media, foodbanks, living wage, affordable housing is important to building community

I think we need to recognise the excellent work done by fans in other clubs - who despite their best efforts don't get the community support" they richly deserve ( i know we have done this)

But to quote one tweet response today please don't judge Dulwich Hamlet by what newspapers call us but our actions & how we strive to make everyone welcome

If we are going to be a "popular" club with a number of "personalities" then its going to come with the territory

Yes we have have some hipsters, but they are not driving the work of the club or fans (with maybe the exception of the food on offer - still much concern about price rather what's on offer)

Our community work in all its formats schools, fetes, shows, social media, foodbanks, living wage, affordable housing is important to building community

I think we need to recognise the excellent work done by fans in other clubs - who despite their best efforts don't get the community support" they richly deserve ( i know we have done this)

But to quote one tweet response today please don't judge Dulwich Hamlet by what newspapers call us but our actions & how we strive to make everyone welcome

Megalolz.

Has Louise Mensch got involved yet on ghe twitter?

Are you quoting yourself?

So many questions....

I also work on the 'basis' that 'all publicity is good publicity'...but this piece does show how 'gullible' some Hamlet fans are...

I will always talk to a journalist, if asked. Sometimes they take you out of context, sometimes they won't. Hopefully this piece will add a few to the gate next week, & at the very least it's something to add to my 'Hamlet scrapbook'!

But there were one or two who assured me that it'll be a good piece 'because I know her'...hence my 'gullible' comments.

If you really want to know what I thought of it...well 'how I would dissect it really'....here goes:

First of all that ‘huge’ crowd was against Maidstone United NOT Maidstone FC…call me al old skool dinosaur if you must, but I hate it when lazy journalists get names of clubs wrong, if they much such a schoolboy error with that, or ‘schoolgirl’ error in this case…what else with they get wrong, just to get their story?

“We are professional! Semi-professional!” the fans roar…well that’s a new one on me, I’ve NEVER heard that in all my decades as a Hamlet fan. Though, on Non League Day last season, and occasionally aired in local boozers when watching a Premiership game on the box, I love to start or join in with our “Non League…and proud of it” chant.

The article goes on: “Normal football” this isn’t. A new season of Dulwich Hamlet games kicked off this month and each match costs only £10 to attend, attracting a diverse crowd disillusioned with Premier League extortion and regulations. They crack open cans beside the pitch or buy pints of craft beer brewed in Peckham and eat bratwurst topped with sauerkraut from a pop-up stand – we are in gentrified East Dulwich, after all.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that the reason some fans bring in cans, ‘officially surreptitiously’ is because they can’t afford to drink in the bar or pubs, and certainly can’t afford food from our pop-up food stands!

The next bit went on: “Dulwich Hamlet’s unlikely new explosion of support, with attendance regularly in the thousands, is the envy of the non-league: Bath City FC recently sent down a representative to see what the fuss is about.” But forgets to mention that to become a part of supporter owned Bath City will cost you twenty five pounds a year….lots of visiting clubs actually ask ‘advice’ on ‘how we do it’…it’s actually fans & Club working together as one..and working bloody hard to reach out into your local community…but they often don’t like the sound of that as a combination of too much hard work, and they see cheap concessions & ticket offers as ‘losing money’; not having the vision to realise that the only way to boost crowds is to entice people in the first place….people who would get your matchday experience otherwise…and once they do…shock, horror, they come back.

Then the next bit: “The new Dulwich Hamlet superfans, who call themselves The Rabble, are aware of their peculiarity – one of their slogans is: “Ordinary morality is for ordinary football clubs.”

Couldn’t be more wrong if you tried…If anything it’s a slogan from the made up Comfast Chapter. ‘The Rabble’ was a name coined in the late Eighties..LONG BEFORE the vast majority of current fans had ever been to Champion Hill, in fact it’s a ‘tag’ we adopted before the current Champion Hill was even built! ‘The Rabble’ encompasses EVERYONE who sings behind the goal, always has done, always will do. And whilst we do have a good-leftie leaning fanbase…there are some behind the goal who vote for a variety of the tories, the lib-dems & even ukip! All who happily sing along with ‘The Rabble’!

As for the Farage stickers…much as I love them…they were NEVER produced by ‘The Rabble’ who have never produced anything. But came from the Comfast Chapter stable. Neither are they from the Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Trust, who Duncan Hart, from the Trust, is quoted on them. In actual fact he produced them ‘in his other hat’ for the Comfast Chapter! The Supporters Trust, as far as I am aware, have never produced overtly political material, though have-rightly so-supported many community anti-discrimination/racism/homophobia campaigns that the Football Club has supported…working alongside the Trust. Long may this continue.

As for our “reputation for being utopian Bolsheviks”…well we’ve been called lots of things, but that’s a new one on me!

This bit is interesting…and all true: “The democratic Supporters Trust is trying to integrate Dulwich Hamlet one step further into the community through fan ownership. The club is currently owned by Hadley Property Group.” It fails to say that this will only come about through the support of Hadley…without whose agreement it will never happen! But at least the journalist didn’t go down the road of slagging off the property developers…perhaps she had to ‘tread carefully’ there as they have lawyers, whereas you can easily paint a misleading picture of Hamlet fans…as we don’t have expensive legal eagles watching our backs!

But still, like certain fans who shall remain nameless as their mistakes have been corrected, they still know little about our past history: “… between the wars, when the now-demolished old stadium overflowed with more than 30,000 people” Whereas a simple internet Google search will have soon told you that the record for the old ground was 20,744 for the Amateur Cup Final in 1933.

Even the quote about me describing some of our fans in the EDT, when we were away to Margate, that was told to me second-hand, buy someone in there, while true…implies that the locals might not be happy with our fans with the final bit of that paragraph being: “The pub was in uproar”…to me implying that our fans weren’t welcome. That could be me interpreting it wrongly, but that’s the way I read it.

I’m also extremely surprised that the current Chairman of our Supporters Trust is quoted (hopefully wrongly & out of context) that he doesn’t want the Club to get promoted! “Hart disagrees: “That would involve more money, more travel to away games, no more beer on the terrace [due to regulations]. It starts cutting out the reason you’re coming here.”” In actual fact it is NOT against Conference South regulations to have alcohol in plastic glasses on the terraces, but down to individual clubs to decide with their local licencing authorities. At Step Five, Conference National, you cannot.

As for the next observation: “At half time, fans hang up homemade banners with in-jokes and leftwing slogans. “This is Tuscany,” proclaims one, a nod to the pointy trees around the pitch.” Nope…it’s a ‘nod’ to the fact that our own working class fans campaigned successfully & WON against local, more educated & organised, middle class NIMBY’s to get the current Champion Hill built, alongside the Sainsburys & park on the hill, without which there would be no Dulwich Hamlet today…and we’d be just an old footnote in non-league history like Nunhead, Leytonstone or Walthamstow Avenue; to just pick three names out from the old amateur days.

The last bit is true, albeit maybe taken out of context, not sure when I said it in the conversation: ““Every game’s a carnival – it’s such a welcoming crowd,” says Morath. “There’s lots of women, kids. It’s party time.”” But I stick with my standard comment that I tell everyone who is bothered to listen: I’ve been supporting Dulwich Hamlet for over forty years…and they can call us what they like. All I know is…I’ve never enjoying supporting The Hamlet more. I am simply ‘Living the dream’!!

So what if we do have some 'hipsters'? Also, how do you define 'hipster'? I'm a 'cultural professional' who does work for some full-on 'hipster' publications, listens to underground music, watches arty films and all that - but I've been going to football week in, week out for 25 years. Same with loads of the people I know at Dulwich and elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom