Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

I'd rather Dulwich finished second and got two home matches.
Likewise. Margate had less than 500 in their rather pokey three sided ground on Saturday, but if they're at hoe to us in the final they'll probably have something more like the 2,300 they pulled for their league match against Maidstone in September; likewise Lowestoft had 2,600 for last season's play off final in their ground with almost no terracing and some tight bottlenecks. If we do get to the final I want to play it and win it at Champion Hill in front of a full house at home.

Are match day takings shared or go to the home club for play off matches? If the latter another good reason to want them to be at home, the size of the crowds and bar receipts. The piss up can wait till after.

I'd rather Dulwich finished second and got two home matches.

Don't get me wrong, a May Day bank holiday at Champion Hill would be awesome as well. But if we had to play away anywhere that day, I think I'd rather it was at Margate than anywhere else.

Don't get me wrong, a May Day bank holiday at Champion Hill would be awesome as well. But if we had to play away anywhere that day, I think I'd rather it was at Margate than anywhere else.

Got to get there first though, second place is looking a bit iffy at present anyway. Anywhere but Imber Court though.

Got to get there first though, second place is looking a bit iffy at present anyway. Anywhere but Imber Court though.

Can't see us getting 2nd now at all but really need to hang on to 3rd at least to have the Home Semi-Final, Hendon have one of their games in hand tonight.

Interesting article on the plight of fellow Premier Division club Peacehaven &Telescombe. Seems that sometimes all that glitters is not gold...

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1192...o-continue-hard-won-rise#.VNjZe63clOc.twitter
Blimey, that does suck.

By the end of March, the club have to demonstrate to the League that they have the funds in place to carry out the required ground improvements. At this point, they are £15,000 short. They have launched an appeal, entitled “Stand or Fall”, which asks supporters and businesses to step in and sponsor the additional seating and standing capacity required. If this appeal fails, then the club are likely to be forcibly relegated at the end of the season no matter their final league position.

Fifteen thousand pounds – perhaps the cost of the little toe on Juan Cuadrado’s left foot. It’s 0.01 per cent of the money that English Premier League clubs spent on transfers during the recently closed window. It seems such a trivial amount, yet for the want of such a sum one of our grassroots clubs may have to give up their hard-won status. That hardly seems fair, in a country where football seems to be run by people with more money than sense

Well if they didn't allow theit little kids to play up like little brats right behind away fans trying to watch the game then maybe more people would support them...
Other than that...nice little club.
Though they did know the rules when they came up...and I'd be more interested in knowing what fundraising they've done up to now, since last April, when they actually won promotion....

There's lots more results to come, in our favour & against.
Time to stop worrying about other results, and just crack on with getting behind the team as we try to obtain a home spot in the play-offs. Yeah, we lost to Canvey. It's not the end of the world...they beat us fair and square on the day...it's what happens in football. On here we sound like it's a major disaster...good grief,. get a grip people! IN GAVIN I TRUST!
So we might have 'blown the title'..against two teams with weekly five figure budgets...that's not a bad achievement in my book, so far!

Last edited:
Though they did know the rules when they came up

Exactly. However stupid the rules are - and they are completely absurd, no doubt about it - they're the same for everyone. If I was the owner of a club trying to push on up the pyramid and hoping the grading rules would be waived in my favour, I'd be ignoring countless examples of other people who have tripped up trying exactly the same thing. They remind me of when my students try and write essays five minutes before the deadline and are then surprised to find the work quite difficult.

I also wonder how Peacehaven have managed this 'miraculous' rise. Winning the Sussex County League was one thing, but smashing through the D1S does make it look a bit as if they were paying big wages. If they've been pissing all their money on the wage bill while hoping the ground will look after itself, they can drop back down to the SCL for all I care.

Though they did know the rules when they came up...and I'd be more interested in knowing what fundraising they've done up to now, since last April, when they actually won promotion....

Exactly. However stupid the rules are - and they are completely absurd, no doubt about it - they're the same for everyone. If I was the owner of a club trying to push on up the pyramid and hoping the grading rules would be waived in my favour, I'd be ignoring countless examples of other people who have tripped up trying exactly the same thing. They remind me of when my students try and write essays five minutes before the deadline and are then surprised to find the work quite difficult.

I also wonder how Peacehaven have managed this 'miraculous' rise. Winning the Sussex County League was one thing, but smashing through the D1S does make it look a bit as if they were paying big wages. If they've been pissing all their money on the wage bill while hoping the ground will look after itself, they can drop back down to the SCL for all I care.
I doubt Peacehaven are paying mega-money, but equally they have some fairly experienced Premier Division players in their squad so I doubt they're paying peanuts either. I think their amazing success last season was partly due to a tragic incident in which one of their players (the son of the then manager) was killed in a street attack, and the whole club pulled together on a wave of emotion, but even if they were only paying £1,000 a week in players wages (just a hypothetical figure - I'll be surprised if it isn't more than that) they could have raised the funds required for ground improvements in less than a season by halving the wage budget.

It's a bit fatuous for people to compare the sum needed with the astronomical figures earned and spent at Premier League level. Those clubs employ some of the best players in the world, get 50,000 crowds, multimillion £ sponsorship and television deals plus all the merchandising revenue, whereas Peacehaven get little more than 100 through the gate and five years ago their ground was just a railed off pitch with floodlights plus a standing shelter and no seats. They must have raised a fair bit already just to get it to how it is now, so it looks like somewhere along the line they've got a bit carried away with their success on the pitch without really planning ahead properly.

Just read it...excellent read. Will be linking from the official site in a few minutes.

I think we need to check your temperature Dulwich Mishi ! Aren't you going to pull them up on "Dulwich play in the Ryman Premier Division"?

An excellent read indeed. Some interesting insights from current and ex-players. We are very fortunate to have access to these ASPIRE players.

What I am less clear on is how it is linked to the DHFC in the long-term. Does anyone have an insight into how the governance of this works?

No...because it is...the Ryman League Premier Divison...therefore dropping the word 'League' still means the same, albeit abbreviated. I expect mistakes, just like on the Ryman League website, that says the Stonewall game is organised by the Supporters Trust...now I wonder what gave that impression? ;)

Did anyone pick up my big black roll of gaffa tape at the Grays Ath home match on Saturday 31st Jan? Would be useful tonight. sankara?

Back
Top Bottom