Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

i read a book last night called Football's Strangest Games. One of the olde worlde footballers on the front is almost certainly a dulwich hamlet player and dulwich are mentioned once- apparently a player from St Albans City put 7 passed us in an fa cup game once and still managed to be on the losing side.

the same player and edgar kail were on the same side in 1926 when the amateurs beat the professionals for the only time in their annual charity shield.

i read a book last night called Football's Strangest Games. One of the olde worlde footballers on the front is almost certainly a dulwich hamlet player and dulwich are mentioned once- apparently a player from St Albans City put 7 passed us in an fa cup game once and still managed to be on the losing side.

the same player and edgar kail were on the same side in 1926 when the amateurs beat the professionals for the only time in their annual charity shield.
This is one of the two FA Cup records that we are involved in. The St Albans player was Billy Minter, and the match was a 4th qualifying round replay in 1922, which we won 8-7 after extra time. A few years later we had a 7-7 draw with Wealdstone in the same round. These are the only 2 occasions in the FA Cup where teams have scored 7 and failed to win the match

Great post Stephen, which sums up what it's like for so many of us whether we're in our first season like yourself or have been going since the seventies like Mishi and myself. Not sure if I've met you yet, but I've had the pleasure to become well acquainted with many younger and newer Hamlet supporters this season which helps make the whole day a massive social occasion on top of seeing entertaining football: going to the Fox on the Hill with around twenty other Hamlet fans after the Billericay home game, the last train home from Margate where there were a similar number, then again on Saturday when we all went to the Gowlett after leaving the clubhouse - great evening in the pub, I didn't leave until 1am, and thanks to the wonders of modern technology was able to time my departure perfectly to catch the N63 bus back to Sydenham Hill, but even if I'd just missed it they run every fifteen minutes these days at weekends. Makes a change from the old days when I recall dashing out of the Clock House at 11.15pm for the last bus home. Absolutely EVERYTHING about the Hamlet just seems to keep getting better and better. I suppose it has to end somewhere, but right now I'm just enjoying the ride!

Regarding your support of Aylesbury United, they were always in the Southern League until winning it in 1988 and spending one season in the Conference, then came down into our league in 1989. They were immediately regarded as championship favourites and were pulling crowds way bigger than anyone else - around 1,000 when nobody else in the league at the time was getting more than about 500 - but they finished 3rd then just subsided to become another typical Isthmian Premier club for the next decade or so before getting relegated and losing their ground around the turn of the century.
one of my favourite grounds Aylesbury united

This is one of the two FA Cup records that we are involved in. The St Albans player was Billy Minter, and the match was a 4th qualifying round replay in 1922, which we won 8-7 after extra time. A few years later we had a 7-7 draw with Wealdstone in the same round. These are the only 2 occasions in the FA Cup where teams have scored 7 and failed to win the match
The St. Albans game is very famous, their player was Billy Minter.

This is a report from German tv. It says: The two fascists didn't come to court today. The judge wanted to close the action (?), but the prosecution persists to hear the fascists. They want the police to pick them up. There will be another day in court. The fascists have to pay that day and a fine of €150 for their absenteeism today.

The sentence was one of acquittal, today. The costs of the court case are carried by the treasury.

Thanks for your solidarity,
jan.

But so it feels for us!

:)

I wasn't there as well, today. My job is not the best to take a day off. If it is on tv again, I'll post a link.
really pleased for everyone involved esp the 2. Had a group pic with the banner on Saturday just working out who's got the pic for us to send it.

also happy to the banner off to you guys or give it to you in July...

again well done to all!

StreathamDHFCscene.png

I was more going for 'post-Miami Vice suburban leisure centre rebranding which already looked dated as it was unveiled by a local councillor in the same week Brolin scored against England' meets 'lesser rival to Now! compilation with both Bronski Beat and Run DMC on' but I might just retrospectively claim it was Red Wedge influenced.

Back
Top Bottom