Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

By coincidence I was reading one of the 'Gone but not forgotten' books last night by Dave Twydell which featured Champion Hill. Amongst some very informative text and excellent old photographs is a composite plan showing all 4 grounds that Dulwich have used at Champion Hill overlaid with each other. It's very useful for getting a sense of where the various grounds were in relation to each other so I'll try and remember to post a copy on here.

Perhaps better than any map is the aerial photographs on the Britain from Above website:
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022350?search=champion hill&ref=0
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022351?search=champion hill&ref=1

I see in the second link that East Dulwich Station was once known as Champion Hill Station - what a shame it changed!

Soppy time now, but there was always something lovely about the line of trees at each end of the ground.

Why? If they get in way chop them down! Besides Greendale looks like the 'Peak District' according to Beasley! It was Dog Kennel Hill that he compared to Tuscany!

I very much doubt they have a preservation order...and even if they did, if that was the only thing to block a new ground...believe me they wouldn't be standing for much longer....you'd be amazed at how mysteriously things go bang in the night... ;)

I very much doubt they have a preservation order...and even if they did, if that was the only thing to block a new ground...believe me they wouldn't be standing for much longer....you'd be amazed at how mysteriously things go bang in the night... ;)

I am sure the Building work would have to be developed around them (they may lose one or two)

Southwark Council Tree Preservation Order policy

Anything that would normally be called a tree, including fruit trees, may be covered by a TPO. (and are in Soutwark)

It is an offence to work on a protected tree in Southwark without permission from Southwark's planning department. If a protected tree is damaged or destroyed without permission, the owner or person carrying out the work may be prosecuted and fined up to £20,000 (per tree) and a replacement tree will also have to be planted.

"...person carrying out the work may be prosecuted and fined up to £20,000 (per tree) and a replacement tree will also have to be planted. "

Indeed...if caught! ;)

By coincidence I was reading one of the 'Gone but not forgotten' books last night by Dave Twydell which featured Champion Hill. Amongst some very informative text and excellent old photographs is a composite plan showing all 4 grounds that Dulwich have used at Champion Hill overlaid with each other. It's very useful for getting a sense of where the various grounds were in relation to each other so I'll try and remember to post a copy on here.

Perhaps better than any map is the aerial photographs on the Britain from Above website:
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022350?search=champion hill&ref=0
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022351?search=champion hill&ref=1

Following on from the above I present you with said map and images from the book.

That's actually incorrect, based on actual film footbage from the Gaumont Studios, from the turn of the last century, that is archived by the BFI. And the 'partly overlay' bit for 3 & 4, is inaccurate; as 3 is placed over the training ground, the 'Top Pitch', and thus covers two pitches. The main pitches do almost overlay, but on different levels.

That's actually incorrect, based on actual film footbage from the Gaumont Studios, from the turn of the last century, that is archived by the BFI. And the 'partly overlay' bit for 3 & 4, is inaccurate; as 3 is placed over the training ground, the 'Top Pitch', and thus covers two pitches. The main pitches do almost overlay, but on different levels.

Oh, interesting. You always hope that the content of books such as these is well researched and accurate but I guess there's always a chance that the author can misinterpret information incorrectly.

Mishi - have you have come across an accurate composite plan?

To be honest, I've not really researched it, just used 'local history knowledge'. Jack McInroy would probably be the best person to ask.

Loved today (against Gray's)

We won (and also the moral victory)
Huge crowd (incl lots of new faces and growing number of women)
Collection for local Foodbank (Bread & Roses)
Solidarity with Altona anti fascists
Many people had attended the Action on Housing March
Discussions on how we can offer solidarity with Dulwich picture Gallery staff
Loads of flags
New scarf
Good tidying up

I love our community - I love our club

Lets keep building

H Sat 7th, 3:00pm Canvey Island 17

A Sat 14th, 3:00pm Bury Town 24

A Wed 18th, 7:45pm Lewes 18

H Sat 21st, 3:00pm Metropolitan Police 4

A Sat 28th, 3:00pm Bognor Regis Town 11

H Sat 7th, 3:00pm VCD Athletic 22

A Sat 14th, 3:00pm AFC Hornchurch 20

H Sat 21st, 3:00pm East Thurrock United 6

A Sat 28th, 1:00pm Wingate & Finchley 7

A Sat 4th, 3:00pm Witham Town 21

H Mon 6th, 3:00pm Enfield Town 10

Not a bad run to have with 3 out of 4 top 10 teams being at home and the rest currently outside the top 10.

Hope to win them all and then go away to Hendon with Maidstone at home to follow :)

Then the final game!

some paras from the article

Gender and Football: a Personal View
By The Two Unfortunates on February 2, 2015
"I recently answered the Football Supporters Federation (FSF) Women in Football survey, where the focus was on what would encourage or discourage women from attending home games. For me the FSF were asking the wrong questions because in my experience home games have never been a problem.
Not many people believe me when I say I haven’t experienced any direct sexist behaviour towards me at football matches. The irony of that is I feel almost apologetic for that, like I’m not supporting those that do but I can’t report what I haven’t experienced myself.
One of the answers for the question ‘what would discourage you from attending a home game?’ was ‘I feel I stand out.’
I haven’t felt this. I’ve walked in and out of Hillsborough for 24 years and never been made to feel like I didn’t belong there. I’ve attended quite a few matches on my own too and not once has that felt like a scary prospect.
The next question in the survey was ‘which of the following, if any, have you experienced directly happening to you at a match?’
Unwanted physical attention (e.g. bum pinching).
Really? From my experience I’ve never seen men less interested in the female sex than when they’re at a football match. I can see how weaving in and out of crowds of men on the concourse, huddled around TV sets, could be intimidating but they never take their eyes off Soccer Saturday long enough to ogle anyone. I’m not being flippant when I say this but a woman would have to turn into Jeff Stelling to get any attention at the ground.
Away games on the other hand can be more intimidating. They are some of the best football experiences you can have but I make sure I choose my games carefully. The more nefarious characters use away games as an excuse to behave badly. It’s sometimes like an 18-30 city break.
At a recent away game at Fulham, a group of around twenty Sheffield Wednesday fans got on the tube at the same time as my family and I. All were drunk, all were loud and all were male. The chants started with generic Wednesday songs and moved onto a dedication about the Swedish god that is Roland Nilsson. It wasn’t threatening it was just loud.
The next hymn on the song sheet was:
Oh Sheffield (is wonderful)
Oh Sheffield (is wonderful)
Ohhh Sheffield is won-der-ful
It’s full of tits, fanny and Wednesday
Oh Sheffield is won-der-ful.
Now in full voice, with a captive audience, they moved onto ‘E E E DL’, ‘We want our country back’ and other songs about Muslims not being wanted here.
As a Wednesday supporter, I looked at the faces of the commuters on the tube and to the lone Fulham fan across from me and I wanted to apologise to them individually. They don’t represent my views or the majority of Owls fans but that will be their impression of our club from now on. When I sat down to write this article and thought about the musical rendition through the ‘isms’, I realised that I only became embarrassed when the chants turned to racism.
I’ve heard the ‘tits and fanny’ song for years, home and away. Although it’s not directed at any woman in particular there’s no denying that it’s sexist, so why doesn’t offend me like a song about Muslims?
Maybe it’s because I don’t class myself as ‘tits and fanny’. Whilst I have those parts they’re not what I use to identify myself so the song feels like it has no bearing on me. If I only regarded myself as boobs and arse, I’d book myself into therapy fairly sharpish.
Maybe it could be because I’ve been conditioned to believe that racism is more offensive than sexism. It’s quite possible. I can’t imagine a complaint about the celebration of genitals and football clubs is going to be taken as seriously as one about ousting Muslims from Great Britain.
Does that fact that it doesn’t offend me make me an enabler for sexist behaviour? I’m sure some could argue that it does. We may share the love of a club but that doesn’t mean I want to share oxygen with these men or even waste it on them.
Picking your battles is extremely important.
Sexism and feminism are not easy subjects. If you look at the recent Page 3 debate women even argue both sides. Feminism is about choice and the opportunity to choose what kind of woman you want to be. Some choose to be a wife and mother, some choose to make a career of taking all their clothes off and some choose to watch Sheffield Wednesday on a dark winter evenings and afternoons.
Certain men are always going resent a woman’s involvement in football because of their own experiences and prejudices. This won’t stop me from being the football fan my family have brought me up to be."

Forgive me the indulgence but I thought I would share some thoughts as a total nouveau who has only been going to games since September.

I grew up watching Aylesbury United in the Southern League (and one high-comedy season in the Conference) many, many moons ago. I played in their various youth teams but I enjoyed following the first team, playing in front of similar crowds to Dulwich now, more. I lost touch a bit with university and moving away from that rather godforsaken town but watched from afar as they became another boom-and-bust non-league club with a dodgy owner and property developers muddying the water. They are now groundless and struggling to pull in 200 every other week. Broke my heart a little but it was what it was.

Then followed 15 years as a season ticket holder at Highbury and then the Emirates. That time saw the Invincibles team and plenty of trophies but I watched in dismay as everything around me changed. The glory hunters, the prices, the moaning in the stands and, above all, the the booing of Arsenal players by their own entitled fans. So I knocked that on the head and spent a couple of years turning up at places like Orient, Hendon, Barnet for my sporadic footballing fix.

Last year I moved South to Streatham to live with my girlfriend. I flailed around a bit - ice hockey (fun but not football), Sutton United (terrible football and weird fans), T**ting & Mitcham (so sorry, I just didn't know!) and even a one-off trip to Carshalton. But it wasn't really doing it for me. I can only plead geographical ignorance as Dulwich didn't even occur to me but then, one night in September, having realised just how near Champion Hill was I bowled up for the Margate match.

Now I know I got lucky with that being a particular cracker, late winner and all, but the evening was a revelation. I knew deep down within 15 minutes of kick off that I had a new footballing home. I think the plan was to have a fun diversion every other Saturday, but in little more than five months I am already struggling to imagine life without DHFC. I couldn't tell anyone exactly why it has captured my imagination like it has as there's no one reason.

There are lots of reasons. Firstly, there's the football. Boy, you're lucky to see football played the Gavin Rose way at this level. Long may he stay because the quality, especially going forward, is extraordinary. Then there's the atmosphere. I love it - fans supporting the team in the right way, in numbers, in song, in ridiculousness and with massive humour. The leftist slant is right up my street and a breath of fresh air even if i'm not QUITE ready for Luxury Automated Communism. Humour aside, I love the collective feel that permeates the club, whether it's supporters committees, the 12th Man scheme, the brilliant podcast, the food bank collection or the Stonewall match next week. It's still early days for me and I still have to earn my stripes but I certainly hope to get more involved in the future.

Best of all though is just feeling so fucking welcome there. I turn up on my own (girlfriend and friends think i've lost it still) and it's just friendliness from the get go. A smile and a hello at the turnstile, same buying a programme, more in the bar and then throughout the match itself. It would be the easiest thing in the world for The Rabble to be some dreadful, self-congratulatory clique but i've seen no evidence of that at all. Quite the opposite. I'm still keeping myself to myself a bit but it's been great having little chats with people like the editor (now I realise who he is) in recent weeks. On Saturday, I helped tie one of the banners behind the goal before the second half just because I was standing there. Immediately Jack (Scutta on here?) and Nisha (apologies if misheard) introduced themselves. That was just pure class and not something I would imagine happening at many other clubs.

So i'll shut up with my ramblings but really i just want to say that you have got a very special football club and one so excitingly on the up. I would say that you're lucky to have it but i suspect that many on here are the very people who have done so much to make it special in the first place. I hope to be around the club for many years to come but, for now, thanks for having me and I genuinely hope that you're as proud of your club as you should be.

Forgive me the indulgence but I thought I would share some thoughts as a total nouveau who has only been going to games since September.

I grew up watching Aylesbury United in the Southern League (and one high-comedy season in the Conference) many, many moons ago. I played in their various youth teams but I enjoyed following the first team, playing in front of similar crowds to Dulwich now, more. I lost touch a bit with university and moving away from that rather godforsaken town but watched from afar as they became another boom-and-bust non-league club with a dodgy owner and property developers muddying the water. They are now groundless and struggling to pull in 200 every other week. Broke my heart a little but it was what it was.

Then followed 15 years as a season ticket holder at Highbury and then the Emirates. That time saw the Invincibles team and plenty of trophies but I watched in dismay as everything around me changed. The glory hunters, the prices, the moaning in the stands and, above all, the the booing of Arsenal players by their own entitled fans. So I knocked that on the head and spent a couple of years turning up at places like Orient, Hendon, Barnet for my sporadic footballing fix.

Last year I moved South to Streatham to live with my girlfriend. I flailed around a bit - ice hockey (fun but not football), Sutton United (terrible football and weird fans), T**ting & Mitcham (so sorry, I just didn't know!) and even a one-off trip to Carshalton. But it wasn't really doing it for me. I can only plead geographical ignorance as Dulwich didn't even occur to me but then, one night in September, having realised just how near Champion Hill was I bowled up for the Margate match.

Now I know I got lucky with that being a particular cracker, late winner and all, but the evening was a revelation. I knew deep down within 15 minutes of kick off that I had a new footballing home. I think the plan was to have a fun diversion every other Saturday, but in little more than five months I am already struggling to imagine life without DHFC. I couldn't tell anyone exactly why it has captured my imagination like it has as there's no one reason.

There are lots of reasons. Firstly, there's the football. Boy, you're lucky to see football played the Gavin Rose way at this level. Long may he stay because the quality, especially going forward, is extraordinary. Then there's the atmosphere. I love it - fans supporting the team in the right way, in numbers, in song, in ridiculousness and with massive humour. The leftist slant is right up my street and a breath of fresh air even if i'm not QUITE ready for Luxury Automated Communism. Humour aside, I love the collective feel that permeates the club, whether it's supporters committees, the 12th Man scheme, the brilliant podcast, the food bank collection or the Stonewall match next week. It's still early days for me and I still have to earn my stripes but I certainly hope to get more involved in the future.

Best of all though is just feeling so fucking welcome there. I turn up on my own (girlfriend and friends think i've lost it still) and it's just friendliness from the get go. A smile and a hello at the turnstile, same buying a programme, more in the bar and then throughout the match itself. It would be the easiest thing in the world for The Rabble to be some dreadful, self-congratulatory clique but i've seen no evidence of that at all. Quite the opposite. I'm still keeping myself to myself a bit but it's been great having little chats with people like the editor (now I realise who he is) in recent weeks. On Saturday, I helped tie one of the banners behind the goal before the second half just because I was standing there. Immediately Jack (Scutta on here?) and Nisha (apologies if misheard) introduced themselves. That was just pure class and not something I would imagine happening at many other clubs.

So i'll shut up with my ramblings but really i just want to say that you have got a very special football club and one so excitingly on the up. I would say that you're lucky to have it but i suspect that many on here are the very people who have done so much to make it special in the first place. I hope to be around the club for many years to come but, for now, thanks for having me and I genuinely hope that you're as proud of your club as you should be.
No worries buddy and thanks for your help!! lovely to meet you and come n say hello next time, look forward to seeing you in the rabble more!! :)

Danny Carr has gone on loan to Dagenham & Redbridge. I hope he hits form while there as he needs some league goals.

Back
Top Bottom