Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

In regard to the incidents around Clapton FC and/or if anybody is interested:

Two Altona 93-supporters will be on trial tomorrow. The police accuses them of being in a group, that was asking two fascists (organised in the "Weiße Wölfe Terror Crew") to leave the stadium during our away match in Bergedorf two years ago. We collected money for their costs (lawyers,...) during the trip to Buxtehude. Some of you attended the tour and the party - thanks again!

If you're German is better than my English, you can find more information on facebook. And even this conservative paper
asks: Offence or moral courage?

Altona anti fascists fans on trial
Article via Google Translate - not very good but you can make out the issues

AMATEUR FOOTBALL
Neo-Nazis from stadium thrown: criminal or civil courage?
By Mirko Schneider

AP
Nazis out - this motto have implemented Altona football fans at a game in Bergedorf literally
The accusation against the Altona football fans is to grievous bodily harm. After the start of the investigation by the state also researched Altona fan - with success.
Hamburg. Andre P. and Frank. (Names changed) are football fans. Your love is Oberliga Hamburg Altona 93. But tomorrow, Wednesday they are both in uncomfortable rolling again: as defendants. At 9:30 clock begins the process before the district court Bergedorf. Accusation: grievous bodily harm. Allegedly committed against two spectators on 14 October 2012 in the match FC Bergedorf 85 against Altona 93 (2: 2), to which the two had accompanied their team as fans.

The case raises more questions than it seems. What does the prosecutor as a crime, is courage for many Altona fans. After matching presentation of witnesses, which said the evening paper, it is for the two victims to Nazis. These were, however, not attributable to Bergedorf fan base in their appearance, but this would have provoked. Which statements are exactly like, is debatable. At the beginning of the second half, then Altonas fans would react, it said. At least five of them threw the Nazis unceremoniously out of the stadium.

In the eyes of the public prosecutor Andre P. and Frank S. committed this crime. They had "the equally as spectators on the sports field located H. two punches towards cheekbone and right ear was added and then kicked in the thigh of the spectator W., thereby H. and W. severe pain of it wore," it said in a summary of the indictment. P is said to have injured his victim also with the throw of a garbage can.

The Altona side sees it differently. Although the defendant did not like to speak in public before the trial. Karsten Groth, director of the department and the fan in question game site, spoke for the evening paper. "In our active fan base, many supporters feel a basic consensus belonging that rejects xenophobic, racist, sexist and homophobic ideas. This is not only democratic but also a good thing," says Groth. "We is not clear why the prosecution has so much insisted on an open proceedings. Where but the resulting damage beneath each Wirtshaus- or neighborhood brawl lie," he adds. Violent behavior he would not be justified, of course. Nevertheless lie for him here a case of civil courage. Many fans see the Altona similar. Nana From Bach, spokeswoman for the prosecutor Hamburg wanted to say anything about the background of the victims, as they were not the defendant in the lawsuit.

Altona 93 is one of the few clubs in the Oberliga Hamburg with a football for fünftklassigen large and active fan base. The club has a reputation as a small anti-Commerce idyll in Hamburg football. To top games, more than 1,000 spectators at the ailing Adolf Hunter arena. Many families use the Oberliga games like for a leisurely Sunday drive. Good 150 followers accompany their team, on average to away games. One's position on the right is a part of self-understanding, finds its expression by anti-racist football tournament at the end of the season. "Altona's fan base is considered to have normal. If it ever comes to arguments, this alcohol-related in nature," said police spokesman Mirko Streiber.

After the start of the investigation by the state also researched Altona fans. They promoted revealed that the two neo-Nazis should be members of the "White Wolves Terror Crew section Hamburg". The Protection of the Constitution classifies founded in 2008, neo-Nazi organization that took its name from the extreme right-wing skinhead band White Wolves, "autonomous nationalists" field. Members of the White Wolves fell since then on by right-wing extremist crime and violence and are answerable criminally. Nationwide, there are about 50 active in Hamburg ten.

Some of them might appear in court tomorrow. Followers of Altona 93 have already announced to assist the two defendants. With donations, even from league rivals Barmbek-Uhlenhorst, the financing of the lawyer was supported. If the district court Andre P. and Frank S. condemn, they face a sentence of between six months and ten years in prison.

Courtesy of a post on the groundhopping site nonleaguematters, I came across what appears to be the old Champion Hill ground featured in an old ITV sketch show called End of Part One. Starts at 10m 52. Can't embed the link for some reason.

In regard to the incidents around Clapton FC and/or if anybody is interested:

Two Altona 93-supporters will be on trial tomorrow. The police accuses them of being in a group, that was asking two fascists (organised in the "Weiße Wölfe Terror Crew") to leave the stadium during our away match in Bergedorf two years ago. We collected money for their costs (lawyers,...) during the trip to Buxtehude. Some of you attended the tour and the party - thanks again!

If you're German is better than my English, you can find more information on facebook. And even this conservative paper
asks: Offence or moral courage?

This is a report from German tv. It says: The two fascists didn't come to court today. The judge wanted to close the action (?), but the prosecution persists to hear the fascists. They want the police to pick them up. There will be another day in court. The fascists have to pay that day and a fine of €150 for their absenteeism today.

This is a report from German tv. It says: The two fascists didn't come to court today. The judge wanted to close the action (?), but the prosecution persists to hear the fascists. They want the police to pick them up. There will be another day in court. The fascists have to pay that day and a fine of €150 for their absenteeism today.

not to detract from a serious post but it was no. 666 Hail Satan all to nah !!!

as mentioned we will produce a banner for the next few matches to show our solidarity! And again anything else we can do (which may not till be after the court has decided) we will all be happy to help and do what we can to support.

GEGEN NAZIS

Last edited:
Here you go:

Great spot guys. This would have been sometime around 1977/1978 - about the time a certain youngster called Mishi attended his first match. Part of the floodlight pylon in the far right hand corner (as you look at the stand) is still in place and being used as the mobile phone mast in the corner by the astroturf pitch.

Great spot guys. This would have been sometime around 1977/1978 - about the time a certain youngster called Mishi attended his first match. Part of the floodlight pylon in the far right hand corner (as you look at the stand) is still in place and being used as the mobile phone mast in the corner by the astroturf pitch.
nice bit of information! will look out for that cheers! :)

People who never went to the old ground just don't believe you when you try to tell them how big it was. I loved the old side terrace, could you image the noise that would come out from under there these days?

I can remember a couple of England Amatuer internationals in the mid sixties, and an FA Cup first round match between Corinthian Casuals and Watford. Around 10,000 in the ground each time and it wasn't even half full.

My first game was 1973/74!

And I haven't looked at the clip, but the mobile phone mast went up later than that...I think mid to late eighties. Certainly wasn't as early as the late seventies.

I recall the Corinthian-Casuals v. Bristol City FA Cup match in 1984/85...the following season they moved, practically en bloc to Champion Hill, when their manager Billy Smith, became our manager. There was a a fair bit of trouble at the Bristol City game. Millwall were at home to Dartford, the same day, in the Cup...and for some reason the Millwall Bushwackers came to the Casuals game. Apparently there were flyers going round from 'Dulwich Hamlet fans' asking for Millwall to come to our game...so I heard! :eek:;)

Speaking personally, I always found the old ground like a mausoleum, with the owners in an ivory tower protected by their own flunky no-doubt dreaming of long ago glory days, it always felt grand, austere, cold and I will always remember creaking stands and rotting wood panelling often making more noise than the 200 odd shuffling in the crowd, "come on Dulwich" I recall one of the few songs ever sung , most was just the odd come on Dulwich/Hamlet shouts

I remember as a youngster in the early 70s day dreaming how great it would be to see local people returning to their local club again, like in the 30s

AND HERE WE ARE !!!

I know we have a long way to go before a new ground comes about but if and when it does covered ends are a must, and funds permitted along the side also. However it's important the cover is right, not some bus stand shelter type thing behind the goal only but as far along the end as possible and a cover right to the front barrier, not something perched at the back of the terracing with a load of uncovered steps at the front.

Hitchin Town v Derbyshire Amateurs at Champion Hill Dulwich Hamlet in 31/32, the occasion being the AFA Senior Cup Final.
B7-9wJ4IMAAnimJ.jpg

And I haven't looked at the clip, but the mobile phone mast went up later than that...I think mid to late eighties. Certainly wasn't as early as the late seventies.

Mishi (or anyone)

I've never been entirely clear where the old ground stood. Was it on the current Sainsbury supermarket site?

image.jpg image.jpg
Mishi (or anyone)

I've never been entirely clear where the old ground stood. Was it on the current Sainsbury supermarket site?

It's stands almost on the same spot, there used to be training pitches where Sainsburys now is....the main stand used to be where the shed now is...roughly!! Main enterence off Dog Kennel Hill was right next to the chip shop!

The old ground was higher, and a few yards over, but approximately the same footprint. The old training ground, known as the 'Top Pitch' was where Sainsburys and their car park is now. The footpath/access road, behind the Bus Shelter Terrace, was the entrance to the old ground. You went in the ground, there were steps, like up a players tunnel, up to the pitch. The only thing left standing is the Racal Vodaphone pylon, which was inside the old ground, and was at the corner of the old huge open Greendale End terrace, and where the old squash courts were. The old ground was completely demolished, our last match was at the end of the 1990/91 season at home to Yeading; and our first game back was in October 1992, at home to Hendon. The year away, when we won promotion, finishing in 3rd spot, when it was three up, three down; before play-offs were brought in, was spent groundsharing at Sandy Lane, home of the Thugs & Muggers. We had all assumed we would go to Bromley or Fisher Athletic, but t*****g offered us the best deal financially, which back then was still an extortionate £500 a game! Which is about what you would pay for a one-off private letting of Champion Hill today!

Many thanks. I'd not realised that.

Is it right that the Hamlet's ground prior to the champion hill stadium was on Greendale fields? I think the psycho--geography of Dulwich Hamlet is peretinent to the new development!

By coincidence I was reading one of the 'Gone but not forgotten' books last night by Dave Twydell which featured Champion Hill. Amongst some very informative text and excellent old photographs is a composite plan showing all 4 grounds that Dulwich have used at Champion Hill overlaid with each other. It's very useful for getting a sense of where the various grounds were in relation to each other so I'll try and remember to post a copy on here.

Perhaps better than any map is the aerial photographs on the Britain from Above website:
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022350?search=champion hill&ref=0
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022351?search=champion hill&ref=1

Is it right that the Hamlet's ground prior to the champion hill stadium was on Greendale fields? I think the psycho--geography of Dulwich Hamlet is peretinent to the new development!
Yes, more or less exactly the same footprint as the proposed new stadium.

Back
Top Bottom