Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Haven't got a clue who or what a Star Badger is (although I will be massively disappointed if it's not a recently rediscovered German prog band from the 70s), but the Discord is well worth catching up on for some excellent commentary on the Discovery+ documentary from Paula_G, some very important points voiced.

Haven't got a clue who or what a Star Badger is (although I will be massively disappointed if it's not a recently rediscovered German prog band from the 70s), but the Discord is well worth catching up on for some excellent commentary on the Discovery+ documentary from Paula_G, some very important points voiced.

I'm sure there might be good stuff there but I find the layout hideously distracting so it's not for me.

I've not watched the Discovery documentary as I'm not inclined to pay for it. Has it given Mishi the credit he's due yet? Or told the story about our shitehawk landlords locking us out? Or even the vital role 'Trevor Bastard' played in making the Hamlet experience a truly unique one?

Seeing as I kept getting spammy emails to check out the new messages, I thought I'd take a look at the discord forum.
And then this popped up before I could even access the forum. WTF is a Star Badger and what's it doing on the official Hamlet forum?

#embarassing

View attachment 335046

In all fairness, embarrassing could cover so much of modern DHFC.

I'm sure there might be good stuff there but I find the layout hideously distracting so it's not for me.

I've not watched the Discovery documentary as I'm not inclined to pay for it. Has it given Mishi the credit he's due yet? Or told the story about our shitehawk landlords locking us out? Or even the vital role 'Trevor Bastard' played in making the Hamlet experience a truly unique one?
Likewise haven't watched it yet as didn't want to spend on a subscription when the episode release schedule was sketchy and the rest of their output is seemingly bobbins - but the last one is now out and you can get a free 7-day trial, so might do that.

Seeing as I kept getting spammy emails to check out the new messages, I thought I'd take a look at the discord forum.
And then this popped up before I could even access the forum. WTF is a Star Badger and what's it doing on the official Hamlet forum?

#embarassing

View attachment 335046
For what it’s worth editor I am going to be shutting down the Discord that was set up, like many others I didn’t see the point of it being created last season, and in my first few days at the club that view hasn’t changed.

I use this forum a lot, and certainly did last season during my time away from the club and understand the frustrations around certain issues regarding communications.

I can’t obviously go back in time and change those issues but I do want to continue to use this forum to share content as and when we can start sharing things consistently when I get a team in place, because I know a lot of people use it.

Hopefully people will start to feel that comms improves again, like I say I can’t change things from last year but I am striving to make things better going forward.

For what it’s worth editor I am going to be shutting down the Discord that was set up, like many others I didn’t see the point of it being created last season, and in my first few days at the club that view hasn’t changed.

I use this forum a lot, and certainly did last season during my time away from the club and understand the frustrations around certain issues regarding communications.

I can’t obviously go back in time and change those issues but I do want to continue to use this forum to share content as and when we can start sharing things consistently when I get a team in place, because I know a lot of people use it.

Hopefully people will start to feel that comms improves again, like I say I can’t change things from last year but I am striving to make things better going forward.
Cheers - much appreciated

I'm also about to send you a private message so check your inbox!

The club had never had a official forum so I’m not sure where you are looking. Very few forums are official as the club will become liable for opinions expressed

editor has made you look like a right melt here. Quality banter.

You’re as negative as anyone with your posts to be honest, strange man.

I can absolutely see why Discord has been interpreted as an official message board because of who set it up. I don’t believe it actually states that and, I am told, the new person in charge of media doesn’t think it is required. As for being negative, I assume you are referring to my responses to people rather than the club and that being the case I agree that I find few of the opinions expressed have much basis in fact but, like everything on here, it’s just somebody’s opinion.

Can I be the first to ask the annual question asked each year at about this time, have the Season Tickets been sent out yet?

Likewise haven't watched it yet as didn't want to spend on a subscription when the episode release schedule was sketchy and the rest of their output is seemingly bobbins - but the last one is now out and you can get a free 7-day trial, so might do that.
Judging by trailers running now the documentary will be free to air on the Quest channel from September. Seems the powers that be who wanted it to be a magnet to attract subscribers to the Discovery+ app have decided that’s not going to be the case. That said the publicity has been average to say the least. Given the buzz around the Euros at the moment more than the odd mention of the women’s team in trailers might have helped particularly as the women’s team feature heavily as the series progresses. Similarly with the participation of trans women in sport a hot topic at the moment it would have shown Dulwich as that “very different club” Crouch refers to us as had the publicity even mentioned the historic game between DHFCW & TRUK. Does it say something that as the series was being dropped on Discovery+ there was next to no pushing of it via the club’s comms? Whether that changes now we’ll have to wait & see.

Seeing as it was launched and moderated by Hamlet's Communications and Media Director, I was under the impression it was the official one.
Well does state in the rules that “This is a DFHC Channel”. Though the word “official” is absent that and the circumstances of its launch in connection with the Crouch doc would lead most to suppose that it is (or rather was) a club endorsed communications channel.E8FBE281-BFB0-416B-82FD-9F72774B04B9.jpeg

Well I’m just about to start the final episode and no mention yet of either Mishi or Duncan. There is next to nothing about the Save Dulwich Hamlet campaign, not even footage that I recall. Meadow have not been mentioned once. The frustration about this programme was it was a great opportunity to show what a different club Dulwich Hamlet is. Although Ben, Clare and Hannah Baptiste of the Women’s team are excellent too often one could change the badges and the colours on show and this could be a story about any Non League club. If that’s what was wanted then they semi-succeeded but rarely did they bring out the people, ideas & initiatives that make Dulwich Hamlet different, the things that helped build us back to from a genuinely struggling club with a few hundred fans to one trying to bring in the income to support the increasingly expensive infrastructure needed to be both sustainable & successful.

Well I’m just about to start the final episode and no mention yet of either Mishi or Duncan. There is next to nothing about the Save Dulwich Hamlet campaign, not even footage that I recall. Meadow have not been mentioned once. The frustration about this programme was it was a great opportunity to show what a different club Dulwich Hamlet is. Although Ben, Clare and Hannah Baptiste of the Women’s team are excellent too often one could change the badges and the colours on show and this could be a story about any Non League club. If that’s what was wanted then they semi-succeeded but rarely did they bring out the people, ideas & initiatives that make Dulwich Hamlet different, the things that helped build us back to from a genuinely struggling club with a few hundred fans to one trying to bring in the income to support the increasingly expensive infrastructure needed to be both sustainable & successful.
There is footage of the “Save Dulwich Hamlet” march, just over a minute of that in which Mishi does appear though we never hear his voice, his passionate words or his name, leading up to Peter’s launch of his “Save Grassroots Football” campaign in conjunction with other clubs sh@T on by dodgy owners like Bury, Leyton Orient and Darlington. Sadly there is no one from outside the club staff to speak of that campaign and it’s impact.

There is footage of the “Save Dulwich Hamlet” march, just over a minute of that in which Mishi does appear though we never hear his voice, his passionate words or his name, leading up to Peter’s launch of his “Save Grassroots Football” campaign in conjunction with other clubs sh@T on by dodgy owners like Bury, Leyton Orient and Darlington. Sadly there is no one from outside the club staff to speak of that campaign and it’s impact.

That should be a stain upon the conscience of everyone involved in this shithouse affair. Plenty of opportunities for those fans that were fawning over a celebrity being involved to evangelize Mishis name and his contribution. Peak modern DHFC for me.

That should be a stain upon the conscience of everyone involved in this shithouse affair. Plenty of opportunities for those fans that were fawning over a celebrity being involved to evangelize Mishis name and his contribution. Peak modern DHFC for me.
It wouldn't be so bad if the club had made some decent money out of hosting the Crouch celebrity show.

It wouldn't be so bad if the club had made some decent money out of hosting the Crouch celebrity show.

I disagree, I really don't think there's a sum of money that could justify airbrushing out quite possibly one of the most important figures in the history of the club.

You add in Saint Peter of Crouch and Laddy Bants ties to the gambling industry, an the fact that supporters were lied to on multiple occasion, the refusal to answer any questions and more...I can't help thinking it all adds up to a mistake at best.

Modern DHFC is a different beast from the one that you first encountered editor so it's double down for people like me and others. I get that to guarantee the clubs future, certain things have to change and the club move on. We can either fit in or fuck off. My closest ever friend being blanked over 8 episodes has made my decision that much easier.

I lost it with Discovery when almost an entire episode was devoted to Bury. Gambling Boy headed up north to find out what impact it has on the local community when a club is forced to close. It asked some half decent questions, but the very same issues were affecting Dulwich not too long ago. This would have been the angle the show needed to introduce the Save Dulwich narrative, Mishi etc.

I disagree, I really don't think there's a sum of money that could justify airbrushing out quite possibly one of the most important figures in the history of the club.

You add in Saint Peter of Crouch and Laddy Bants ties to the gambling industry, an the fact that supporters were lied to on multiple occasion, the refusal to answer any questions and more...I can't help thinking it all adds up to a mistake at best.

Modern DHFC is a different beast from the one that you first encountered editor so it's double down for people like me and others. I get that to guarantee the clubs future, certain things have to change and the club move on. We can either fit in or fuck off. My closest ever friend being blanked over 8 episodes has made my decision that much easier.
I haven't watched this series. From what is said it does seem the producers missed a few obvious - to us - tricks. However; I seriously doubt DHFC had any editorial control. The decision not to mention Mishi, the property developers etc. will lie with the Production Company, not DHFC.

You may not like some aspects of new DHFC but this one is almost certainly not their fault.

I haven't watched this series. From what is said it does seem the producers missed a few obvious - to us - tricks. However; I seriously doubt DHFC had any editorial control. The decision not to mention Mishi, the property developers etc. will lie with the Production Company, not DHFC.

You may not like some aspects of new DHFC but this one is almost certainly not their fault.

You speak sense, as usual, but I do still firmly believe that there were enough people involved from our side that we could have kept Mishi, the Meadows situation etc at the fore by keeping mentioning it, by changing the narrative.

Obviously it's not the clubs fault in a official capacity. It is though the fault of those who were all for Saint Peter of Crouch at the start and who shouted down those of us who objected.

I lost it with Discovery when almost an entire episode was devoted to Bury. Gambling Boy headed up north to find out what impact it has on the local community when a club is forced to close. It asked some half decent questions, but the very same issues were affecting Dulwich not too long ago. This would have been the angle the show needed to introduce the Save Dulwich narrative, Mishi etc.
It could be seen that these problems affect all grassroots club's not just DHFC.

You speak sense, as usual, but I do still firmly believe that there were enough people involved from our side that we could have kept Mishi, the Meadows situation etc at the fore by keeping mentioning it, by changing the narrative.

Obviously it's not the clubs fault in a official capacity. It is though the fault of those who were all for Saint Peter of Crouch at the start and who shouted down those of us who objected.

I remember at a test screening of episode one that a number of people stood up and told the producers that it was vital to feature mishi and the save dhfc campaign.

Don’t know if the Board would agree, but I can’t help feeling it would be useful for an honest appraisal of the benefits that were gained from Crouch’s involvement and the documentary, versus the elements that didn’t go as hoped and also what has been learned from it, including the key questions that were raised repeatedly and never really addressed, to be clearly communicated to the supporters.

There’s no doubt that it was entered into for anything but good reasons on the part of the club, and it was only to be expected that there would be pros as well as cons that couldn’t be anticipated at the outset - but the biggest point of contention around the whole thing was a lack of clarity and communication, and now that baleboy_93 is in post I’d hope that’s something that can be remedied, if only to bring it to a close.

Back
Top Bottom