Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

If anyone is watching beat the chasers I think Caroline Brouwer, physio in the Frank Murphy era, has just won thirty grand.

Edited to say it was Wednesday's show.
Haven't seen it yet but it should be on ITVplayer. Caroline was also briefly Hamlet physio around 1986 during the Mick Leach manager era and was assistant physio at Wimbledon when they beat Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup Final. I believe she was also the first ever fully qualified female FA referee as as a teenage rin the seventies, so very much a pioneer for the roles of women in football today.

It's almost certainly her then. They mentioned she had worked as a physio at Wimbledon in the show. She's out of sport now and is in an office job, Project Manager from memory.

Caroline left for Hendon with Frank Murphy. I happened to be in Cardiff when Hendon played Cardiff City in the FA Cup so nipped along. A Hendon player went down injured, Caroline ran on, slipped over and landed on top of him. She was so pleased to hear Hamlet fans had been present to witness that next time Hendon visited the Hill

Frank's number two, Barry Simmonds, ended up in quite a senior role at Cardiff, Chief Scout from memory.

Strangely, I couldn’t find the thread from the playoff final... but this time today 3 years ago, Promotion Roundabout was starting to fill up :)

Let’s all flipping enjoy tonight, yeah?

Trying to stay positive but clearly something is not right with the mens footballing side of the club.

I get there is uncertainty over budget, the fine from the league, and whether fans will be back, but don't understand why we can't hear from Gavin and others in senior roles on the current position, who has been released, what the outlook is.

If the block is Gavin (and I've no idea if it is) then could he be in breach of contract for failing to engage with supporters via social or traditional media channels? A manager that has stopped speaking to the supporters is a bizarre situation.

Then that really is poor from the Hamlet. So many of us are itching to get back to a game and they don't publicise the pre-season calendar like that?

If the block is Gavin (and I've no idea if it is) then could he be in breach of contract for failing to engage with supporters via social or traditional media channels? A manager that has stopped speaking to the supporters is a bizarre situation.

That seems like a bit of a strange suggestion tbh. It's not generally a managers job to coordinate communications is it? And there's nothing stopping the rest of the club hierarchy putting anything out. Surely you need a bit more than that before you start going on about breach of contract and the like.

Maybe, I dunno, it might be nice to cut some slack to volunteers who are likely run off their feet on things like working out playing budgets under 73 different scenarios, signing players, getting the club bar open and running, working out and doing what needs to be done to the ground to make it enjoyable under different capacity constraints. You know, grown up shit.

We all want things to look forward to. The people that make them happen might get to look forward to them too if they were shown a bit more patience.

Maybe, I dunno, it might be nice to cut some slack to volunteers who are likely run off their feet on things like working out playing budgets under 73 different scenarios, signing players, getting the club bar open and running, working out and doing what needs to be done to the ground to make it enjoyable under different capacity constraints. You know, grown up shit.

We all want things to look forward to. The people that make them happen might get to look forward to them too if they were shown a bit more patience.

Well known fact - every other non-league club is run without any volunteers.

At Bognor - where Jack Pearce seems to hold every role they announced their fixtures on 1 June.

That seems like a bit of a strange suggestion tbh. It's not generally a managers job to coordinate communications is it? And there's nothing stopping the rest of the club hierarchy putting anything out. Surely you need a bit more than that before you start going on about breach of contract and the like.

Yeah I doubt it is in Gavin's contract.

And I guess any uncertainty around budget, etc impacts on season ticket costs which impacts prices for home friendlies (and maybe who we host in friendlies)? But clearly Carshalton tickets are on sale already. Maybe it doesn't need a big fanfare but perhaps that news could be part of a summary of what we know already and what we don't know?

Well known fact - every other non-league club is run without any volunteers.

At Bognor - where Jack Pearce seems to hold every role they announced their fixtures on 1 June.
Jack Pearce also holds the role of National League vice chairman and was a key figure in the shambles that was last season, so I wouldn't hold him up as a model for how things ought to be done properly.

Anyone planning to go to the Carshalton Athletic friendly on a July 10th should consider getting an online ticket sooner or later as the hosts are saying numbers will be limited. I can’t say I’ve seen too much publicity about this match from Dulwich though?
Also The Hope will only accept pre-booking at present, they were very strict when I went there a couple of weeks ago.

Can I start by saying one of the most important things we can do as fans committed to the club is to ensure the future generation of kids grow up recognising their local club is as important (if not more so) than the ones they see on TV

In Ireland everyone gets behind their town/county GAA football team and we need to try and build the same

Key to this is getting into the schools (now I know we already do this) but somehow we also need to get the kids wearing DHFC shirts

so for example Christmas school, scouts, brownies (and yes Woodcraft folk) bazaar prizes should include a donated shirt etc

What would help if this year some extra time was given to the design of the shirt , don't think it has truly matched the elegance of the 1930s shirt

We also need to get the Shirts from the pre season not closer to Christmas as occurred this year (no blame)
You wouldn't be so keen on getting kids involved if you were a pensioner with a ten year season ticket ,who is awaiting a hip operation, and the f*cking Committee keeps giving your seat away to to freeloading posh schoolchildren.

If anyone can produce proof of that, there's a real possibility it's a career ender for the MP.

Would an MP really be that stupid?

That's a question, I don't know the answer.

For those who perhaps didn’t receive, here is the Club’s communication around next season and why they hadn’t announced anything as yet. Basically the League were and are being useless, stopping the Club from budgeting. For most clubs (with benefactors) this isn’t an issue, or is less of one, but for us of course it’s much more of a problem. The Club are just having to press on and guess it seems. Best of luck to everyone, must be an impossible task.

And seems all those clubs publishing friendlies with us have been jumping the gun somewhat.

To all our season ticket holders

I hope you are all keeping well. We are hopefully edging closer to the prospect of football returning to Champion Hill but we are still hampered by a lack of communication from the National League. We have written to them 8 times in the past two months asking for a response on whether the proposed start date for the season would be subject to change if there was a delay to the removal of restrictions on June 21. We have received no information from them other than one holding note saying they would contact us when they had something ‘tangible’ but with less than two months to go to kick off and no reason given for why they cannot publish their plans we have decided to take matters into our own hands and commence our new season preparations based on the information we do have. So whilst the club had hoped to be able to provide a definitive timetable to fans by now the volume of questions we are receiving means we cannot afford to wait any longer and so we will switch to publishing the information we have and then ask you to please bear with us as I suspect there will be regular changes to plans over the next month.

Our plan is as follows:
  • We will be processing season ticket refunds, deferrals and donations this week ready to publish season tickets for 2021/22 by the end of June, we have still been given August 14 as the potential kick off for the men’s league but are waiting for fixture information for both the men’s and the women’s teams.
  • We had a tentative friendly schedule commencing July 10 however the extension of restrictions to July 19 means those fixtures are now subject to change as lower league clubs hoping for us to travel to them would prefer us to be able to bring fans and higher league clubs may not be able to play away and visit Champion Hill until the risk is reduced. We will review dates with the men’s and women’s team management in the coming week and will publish our tentative schedules later this week.
Lastly, we are working hard to add new people in each area of club management and thanks to those of you who have already offered. We do still have some skills we would like to add so I will follow up separately on that.

Anyone planning to go to the Carshalton Athletic friendly on a July 10th should consider getting an online ticket sooner or later as the hosts are saying numbers will be limited. I can’t say I’ve seen too much publicity about this match from Dulwich though?
Also The Hope will only accept pre-booking at present, they were very strict when I went there a couple of weeks ago.
Guessing it’s now going to either be rearranged or cancelled if July 19th is now the earliest fans will be allowed back in & going by the chairman’s Communication today..,

Guessing it’s now going to either be rearranged or cancelled if July 19th is now the earliest fans will be allowed back in & going by the chairman’s Communication today..,
Given that Carshalton were allowed up to 600 I can't see why they won't be allowed at least that figure right now. I wouldn't have expected this fixture to pull any more than that, and let's remember our club never actually confirmed the fixture in the first place.

I'm sure we must be allowed to play home games with a limited capacity right now, although probably not enough to make it worthwhile playing the sort of opponents we would like to have at Champion Hill until 19 July.

Hopefully a schedule of pre-season matches will be confirmed by the end of the week.

Given that Carshalton were allowed up to 600 I can't see why they won't be allowed at least that figure right now. I wouldn't have expected this fixture to pull any more than that, and let's remember our club never actually confirmed the fixture in the first place.

I'm sure we must be allowed to play home games with a limited capacity right now, although probably not enough to make it worthwhile playing the sort of opponents we would like to have at Champion Hill until 19 July.

Hopefully a schedule of pre-season matches will be confirmed by the end of the week.
According to the email from Ben yesterday things seem to still be up in the air…

“We had a tentative friendly schedule commencing July 10 however the extension of restrictions to July 19 means those fixtures are now subject to change as lower league clubs hoping for us to travel to them would prefer us to be able to bring fans and higher league clubs may not be able to play away and visit Champion Hill until the risk is reduced. We will review dates with the men’s and women’s team management in the coming week and will publish our tentative schedules later this week.”

Back
Top Bottom