Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gatwick Airport closed, because idiots are flying drones close to it.

Good lord no, we don't want the executive lane getting clogged up with all the oiks - you stick to public transport and Vauxhalls, and be happy in your place.

Fair enough. I can drive like a twat perfectly well in a Citroen, there's no getting stuck behind me anyway :D

The Irish government has called a meeting of various interested parties - they don't fancy having the same problem as Gatwick and the gossip is that the Irish defence forces have quietly been given the green light to ask for funding for a number of the systems the UK military has used to counter drones both in the UK and in northern Iraq.

The Irish government has called a meeting of various interested parties - they don't fancy having the same problem as Gatwick and the gossip is that the Irish defence forces have quietly been given the green light to ask for funding for a number of the systems the UK military has used to counter drones both in the UK and in northern Iraq.

I'm sure the mighty Air Corps can shoot them down out of the sky. Our planes aren't much bigger than drones anyway! :D

Still no one caught then, did they really happen?
Reading this, it turns out commercially available drones have geofencing software programmed into them to prevent them being flown into sensitive spaces like airports
Drones are causing airport chaos – why can’t we stop them?

I remember reading about the geofencing software at the time, but also that it wouldn't be too hard to hack the software, should someone be so inclined.

Tis possible that only the first one or two sightings were genuine and the rest were people overreacting, considering the chaos caused no-one is going to want to admit to overreacting and the actual perp(s) have realised how much potential shit they are in and gone to ground.
I myself prefer my own theory (which like all good conspiracy theories is backed by absolutely no evidence whatsoever) and that the whole thing was a distraction for something else and that the people behind it have achieved
what they wanted and no-one has yet drawn a connection between 2 apparently unconnected events.

I myself prefer my own theory (which like all good conspiracy theories is backed by absolutely no evidence whatsoever) and that the whole thing was a distraction for something else and that the people behind it have achieved
what they wanted and no-one has yet drawn a connection between 2 apparently unconnected events.

On another thread Bahnhof Strasse mentioned how convenient the Icelandic volcano was, when he had messed up someone's booking.

At the end of the day the chances of bringing down a plane with a drone are pretty much zero. Even if you manage to take an engine out, all passenger aircraft can fly safely on one. And anywhere else it might impact, it will never cause serious structural damage that would compromise the ability of the plane to continue flying.

The real issue is the massive financial cost a two hundred quid gadget could cost to an airline, given that a single engine can cost up to 20m, plus all the associated costs having the aircraft out of service.

I still think it was the makers of an anti-drone defence system trying to scare all of Europe's airports into buying their system. Followed by the usual incompetence of our police.

But I have been called a cynical bastard.

At the end of the day the chances of bringing down a plane with a drone are pretty much zero. Even if you manage to take an engine out, all passenger aircraft can fly safely on one. And anywhere else it might impact, it will never cause serious structural damage that would compromise the ability of the plane to continue flying.

The real issue is the massive financial cost a two hundred quid gadget could cost to an airline, given that a single engine can cost up to 20m, plus all the associated costs having the aircraft out of service.
This is why it's the perfect vehicle for ethical eco-terrorism.

Back
Top Bottom