Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gatwick Airport closed, because idiots are flying drones close to it.

Nope. Screwing over people's holidays/business trips/trips for important funerals, wedding, funerals etc is not the way forward.
Is it that different to something like reclaim the steets back in the 90s? I'm too young to remember it but I've read about it here and elsewhere and thought it was non-violent direct action that surely inconvenienced loads of people. RTS seems to have been popular here.

Would U75 of 15 years ago have been more likely to support something like this? (If it were a climate protestor of course!)

It's real...when I just looked over towards Heathrow I could see lights in the sky; drones I tell you...drones

The other day I helped someone book travel to the south of Germany going by train rather than flying.

What happened at Gatwick wasn't irrelevant to their decision.

They'll be travelling next week. If we're about to get into some extended disruption at Heathrow (I hope we are) then I'll be proven doubly right in my advice (not they needed a lot of persuading). Not only will it be less harmful for them to go by train but possibly less inconvenient too.
The met office has issued a smugness warning for South London

Is it that different to something like reclaim the steets back in the 90s? I'm too young to remember it but I've read about it here and elsewhere and thought it was non-violent direct action that surely inconvenienced loads of people. RTS seems to have been popular here.

Would U75 of 15 years ago have been more likely to support something like this? (If it were a climate protestor of course!)
It’s a lot more disruptive and potentially costly for the people affected by it. It’s all such a laugh till it’s you who has to urgently get somewhere.

That's a very, very poor comparison. Reclaim The Streets would block off a single street for a few hours not an entire airport for long periods leaving people with no travel alternatives.

At worst, people would have to find a different bus/tube/walking route and add minutes to their day, and not lose out on entire holidays and miss weddings/funerals etc.

For me, the main reason that the comparison between this and RTS falls is not the inconvenience. That's fair (to a point) imho. I was party to some discussions about plans to gridlock London entirely. It didn't happen. But not because we wanted to avoid inconvenience. There were many of us who would've relished causing more disruption, more inconvenience, than we managed.

No, it's the individual nature of this versus the mass, collective nature of RTS. And that RTS was an open, transparent action.

Send in the barking dogs.

I do find it odd that people that are the quickest to moan about polluting cars and what not seem to think the opposite about planes?

If only there had been an extensive public transport of buses, tubes and overground trains nearby offering alternative travel.

Oh, wait.....
not sure many buses went past liverpool street on j18. And no overground back then, 11 years to wait for that. Tubes don't go as far as norwich or chelmsford, and fenchurch st may have been closed too, can't recall

That's a very, very poor comparison. Reclaim The Streets would block off a single street for a few hours not an entire airport for long periods leaving people with no travel alternatives.

At worst, people would have to find a different bus/tube/walking route and add minutes to their day, and not lose out on entire holidays and miss weddings/funerals etc.
That's the kind of argument you hear against every strike that's ever happened. If you're operating from the position that the world is being destroyed then missed holidays and funerals are pretty irrelevant

Indeed.

If, and it's a massive if at this point, this is done sort of eco/climate action, then there are many valid criticism s to be made of it as a tactic.

Causing inconvenience, however upsetting this may be for some hit by it, is fairly low down the list of reasons why this might not be be a good tactic.

That was before these lot all bought Audis, took up golf and generally settled down to a quiet life of noshing off the status quo.

Yeah, as if the likes of the editor & me have taken up golf & swan around in fucking Audis. :rolleyes:

Don't be a plank, frank.

That's the kind of argument you hear against every strike that's ever happened.

Yup!

Easy for people used to driving around in their own cars and taking international flights to get behind strikes that disrupt public transport that they personally aren't completely reliant on. See how they react when something happens that actually totally stops them from doing stuff they want to though!

Eyjafjallajökull stopped flights from everywhere for a fucking week, where was all this righteous indignation then? Oh no, that was a volcano, no point then.

/empty boat parable.

That's the kind of argument you hear against every strike that's ever happened. If you're operating from the position that the world is being destroyed then missed holidays and funerals are pretty irrelevant
It's really not, but whatever. If you want to celebrate some twat with a drone making people's lives miserable for no good reason, you go right ahead.

Back
Top Bottom