Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

G20: Getting to the truth- the death of Ian Tomlinson RIP

i bet the officer on Police Oracle who stated he wanted to burn all the protesters alive is glad he deleted his post in time..

I presume though there is a copy/cache of this 'burning' post in existence...

i bet the officer on Police Oracle who stated he wanted to burn all the protesters alive is glad he deleted his post in time..
That post hasn't been deleted and it doesn't say he 'wanted to', it says "I have no time for these G20 demonstrators, they can spray them all with petrol as far as I am concerned, and throw in a match, most are people just out for a fight with the police" - ie he is saying he doesn't give a shit, not that he wants or intends to do anything. The poster is also (according to their profile) a retired officer, not someone who was involved in g20 or even still serving.

That post hasn't been deleted and it doesn't say he 'wanted to', it says "I have no time for these G20 demonstrators, they can spray them all with petrol as far as I am concerned, and throw in a match, most are people just out for a fight with the police" - ie he is saying he doesn't give a shit, not that he wants or intends to do anything. The poster is also (according to their profile) a retired officer, not someone who was involved in g20 or even still serving.
facial_hair_split.jpg

@ agnesdavies

Not at all. The differences are enough to make the oracle post a non-story in comparison to the facebook one. Also if people are going to get up in arms about something they should try and get their facts rights.

Some interesting stuff in the Guardian today. Sounds like the police/IPCC version of events which led them to issue a bunch of typically misleading press releases might be coming unglued.

At 7.30pm on Wednesday 1 April, as Mr Tomlinson lay dying on the pavement near the Royal Exchange in the City of London, Sir Paul Stephenson, the commissioner of the Metropolitan police, was several miles away at a party at Peelers restaurant, on the fifth floor of New Scotland Yard, to mark the retirement of the assistant commissioner Alf Hitchcock.

According to one guest: "He kept going out into the corridor, on his mobile. He looked very unhappy, stressed."

Four hours later, at 11.36pm, Scotland Yard issued a press release (see over), that, we now know, was seriously misleading - not because it included a direct falsehood, but because it failed to include the most important part of the truth, that Mr Tomlinson died after apparently being struck and pushed to the ground by a police officer. This press release was the result of some intense argument in the Yard's press bureau, with an earlier draft having been rejected. <snip>

However, both the IPCC and Scotland Yard say there had been no allegation of contact at the time: "It was treated as an unexplained death within the area of a policing operation that would need to be properly investigated and, therefore, the IPCC were informed as is routine practice in these circumstances."

Yet senior figures at Scotland Yard last week insisted, on the condition of anonymity, that the apparent assault on Mr Tomlinson had been detected by the police control room at Cobalt Street, south London, as soon as it happened and also that it had been "phoned in" by a chief inspector on the ground.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/27/ipcc-police-g20-death-media

Police Oracle has published a reasonable article on media coverage:

A man died, and if journalists had not taken an active interest in the case there is a possibility that only one view of that death would ever have seen the light of day. That view was relatively easy for the police service and the government to live with. Instead we are now very aware of other possibilities which are much less comfortable for these bodies. No finding in law has been made, but few people would dispute that Ian Tomlinson’s death raises important questions of public policy. Without journalism, those questions might not have been confronted.

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/The-Protest-Continues..._19044.html

Oh. And here's a rather astounding piece of journalism.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...thi-charges-and-intensive-interrogation-hs-07

When Ian Tomlinson died during the G-20 conference in London earlier this month, Police Constable Rob Ward was accused of pushing him violently to the ground, causing internal injuries resulting in his death soon after the incident. This innocent newspaper vendor was not even taking part in the demonstration, but was just walking slowly and inoffensively past when he was allegedly accosted by PC Ward.

I thought Rob Ward just wrote a sentence on facebook...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...he-wanted-to-beat-up-hippies-on-Facebook.html

Piggy Oracle said:
A man died, and if journalists had not taken an active interest in the case there is a possibility that only one view of that death would ever have seen the light of day. That view was relatively easy for the police service and the government to live with. Instead we are now very aware of other possibilities which are much less comfortable for these bodies. No finding in law has been made, but few people would dispute that Ian Tomlinson’s death raises important questions of public policy. Without journalism, those questions might not have been confronted.

...which statement would be more convincing had police oracle not banned a journalist from their forums for asking questions the circle-jerking OB didn't approve of.

...which statement would be more convincing had police oracle not banned a journalist from their forums for asking questions the circle-jerking OB didn't approve of.

Fuck me I couldn't believe that. For them to ban him for 'trolling', despite the most utterly reasoned, measured, and even balanced - in a BBC sense :)hmm:) - posts, was obscene.

ACAB.

I was hoping that would turn out to be one great big bullet in the steel-toecaps. :D

(that's a bit too cryptic isn't it? Shot themselves in the foot, I mean)

G20 / Ian Tomlinson

Does anyone have any updates on the state of play,regarding the Ian Tomlinson affair,please ??
Same for that lady that was batoned by the thug cop ??

It all seems to have gone a bit quiet......

It will be buried, no-one will be charged. The public will forget and will go back to sleepwalking into a police state.

Typical cynical urban attitude. :( The authorities will act correctly and fairly throughout.

Assuming that the policeman recovers from collapsing after the shock of having been found out, it will take a minimum of three years to gather information, study videos and take witness statements. It will take another two years to prepare the case, and give the policeman fair time to prepare his defence. It will then clearly be unfair to proceed because it will be dealing with events of five years ago, and the charges will very fairly be dropped.

Funny how that copper who is accused of murdering the woman PC up north has already been charged, though. Can't quite understand the indecent haste attending that one.

Hang on, did I really hear on the news (BBC London) just now that the person who killed Ian Tomlinson may have been 'a protestor dressed as a police officer'

wtf :confused:

Back
Top Bottom