Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

G20: Getting to the truth- the death of Ian Tomlinson RIP

e19896

kill all ANARCHIST
R.I.P.
There is this Ian Tomlinson RIP - thread to collate eyewitness statements and accounts i post the info of a planed protest named getting to the truth here as i hope more people will see it here is the info from http://london.indymedia.org.uk/events/1027

g20_poster_yellow-medium.jpg

Calling for an inquiry

Over the last week across London there has been a series of demonstrations and protests against the policies and programs implemented by the G20 leaders.

We are taking to the streets to express our compassion with the family of Ian Tomlinson who tragically died during the 1 April protests at the Bank of England. We are calling for an independent public inquiry into the instances of police violence that occurred though out the week and to establish to true circumstances of his death.

We wish to communicate our disgust and anger at the violent and brutal policing of the G20 demonstrations.

The press once again created an atmosphere of fear and violence in the lead up to the protests, preemptively justifying the police violence that occurred. They also misreported and lied about the circumstances of the tragedy. We recognise that for many communities the reality of police violence is a daily occurrence. The demonisation of communities, like the demonisation of protesters makes police violence seem normal.

As the crisis deepens and continues there will be increased resistance - from factory occupations to demonstrations, strikes and people coming together on the streets. We need to speak out now the right to defend our freedom to protest, our communities and our dignity.

Attached Files:

http://london.indymedia.org.uk/system/file_upload/2009/04/03/50/g20_poster_yellow.pdf

http://london.indymedia.org.uk/system/file_upload/2009/04/03/51/g20_truth_a5dbl_yellow.pdf

Is this the right target? If there was demo and a 'get to the truth' initiative about police violence at the climate camp I'd support it.

We saw the police live on the news being pelted with bottles as they tried to save him.

Is there a recording of this we can see? Many people are claiming that this 'pelting with bottles' amounted to two plastic bottles, and that it stopped as soon as the protesters nearest to the dying man explained to the protesters behind them what was going on.

Is there a recording of this we can see? Many people are claiming that this 'pelting with bottles' amounted to two plastic bottles, and that it stopped as soon as the protesters nearest to the dying man explained to the protesters behind them what was going on.

I don't think that even the Old Bill are that cold hearted as to just let someone die.

But yes, there was footage being played on Sky News.

I thought it has already been concluded that he lived nearby and was walking home from his job and suffered a heart attack and that he had nothing to do with the demo?

I thought it has already been concluded that he lived nearby and was walking home from his job and suffered a heart attack and that he had nothing to do with the demo?

It was said that he lived in a hostel and worked in a Newsagent and has been homeless for many years and had a history of drink problems and was said to be divorced from his wife and had children and from a big family.

Suddenly a wife appears in the frame is it his ex or a second wife or was that information wrong in the first place?

It was said that he lived in a hostel and worked in a Newsagent and has been homeless for many years and had a history of drink problems and was said to be divorced from his wife and had children and from a big family.

Suddenly a wife appears in the frame is it his ex or a second wife or was that information wrong in the first place?

There does appear to be at least one wife involved, though whether its the same one as mentioned in this article remains to be seen.

As for the rest of the info about Tomlinson you have given, aside from him living in the hostel this is all news to me - do you have any source for it?

Is there a recording of this we can see?

there has to be images about with all the cameras that were there but posting a video of someone as they die on the internet so people can squabble over the fragments would be pretty fucked up.

There does appear to be at least one wife involved, though whether its the same one as mentioned in this article remains to be seen.

As for the rest of the info about Tomlinson you have given, aside from him living in the hostel this is all news to me - do you have any source for it?

I read it The Times iirc, about him having a history of a drink problem and working in a newsagents.

From what we know Ian was kettled willingly or unwillingly, he had every opportunity to leave the pen as I did but yet he chose to hang around the RSB troubled area and yet there were other areas he could had chosen to hang around if he didn't want trouble. It is said he had fallen forward towards the area where the police dogs were. There were three in total as I saw them, they were brought in to help clear the people inside the RSB building and were later used to help defend the police lines. It is also said that the police moved forward together with the dogs causing Ian to fall banging his head as the crowd turn to get away.

In regards to the comment of "He on his way home" was at a later stage after he was brought out of the kettled area and was seen to "get up" and some say that he (If it's him) tried to get back inside the kettled area but was turned away, it maybe here that the Police told him to go home, It could had been that he was on his way home or that he was looking to get back inside the Kettled area. He collapsed a second time and died of a heart attack 200 yards further away.

I don't like what the Police are doing here and specially when the police woman helped to take down the messages of "support".

From what we know Ian was kettled willingly or unwillingly, he had every opportunity to leave the pen as I did but yet he chose to hang around the RSB troubled area and yet there were other areas he could had chosen to hang around if he didn't want trouble.
There was certainly no opportunity to leave the kettle earlier.

Within hours of this man's death the BBC is stating as fact that it was natural causes.

Next OB wade in with 'it appears to be natural causes'.

Then OB state that the outcome of the post mortem is a heart attack.

Where's any word from the pathologist? Will we hear from a coroner? These are the two people who will tell the truth as to what happened. They will say if the heart attack was a result of a bop to the head from OB or not.

Until these people speak, the BBC & OB's words are just spin and smear, same as with JCdM. And I have the same uneasy feeling that I had when he was killed.

However if Jack Straw gets his way I'm sure that Ian Tomlinson's inquest will fall under the new legislation; we can't be told why he died to save us from finding out that the state was up to no good again. Closed inquests are for our own good, us fucking plebs.

If there was any film of 'pelting' with bottles do you not think it would have been shown round the clock on the news? I'm sure there was a plastic bottle or two flying about but the absolute dearth of information apart from an initial smear makes it look like Menezes all over again to me.

Not only that, but presumably there'd be loads of empty bottles on the ground in the photos. Plus shots of police 'ducking' etc.

There is this Ian Tomlinson RIP - thread to collate eyewitness statements and accounts i post the info of a planed protest named getting to the truth here as i hope more people will see it here is the info from http://london.indymedia.org.uk/events/1027

g20_poster_yellow-medium.jpg

Calling for an inquiry

Over the last week across London there has been a series of demonstrations and protests against the policies and programs implemented by the G20 leaders.

We are taking to the streets to express our compassion with the family of Ian Tomlinson who tragically died during the 1 April protests at the Bank of England. We are calling for an independent public inquiry into the instances of police violence that occurred though out the week and to establish to true circumstances of his death.

We wish to communicate our disgust and anger at the violent and brutal policing of the G20 demonstrations.

The press once again created an atmosphere of fear and violence in the lead up to the protests, preemptively justifying the police violence that occurred. They also misreported and lied about the circumstances of the tragedy. We recognise that for many communities the reality of police violence is a daily occurrence. The demonisation of communities, like the demonisation of protesters makes police violence seem normal.

As the crisis deepens and continues there will be increased resistance - from factory occupations to demonstrations, strikes and people coming together on the streets. We need to speak out now the right to defend our freedom to protest, our communities and our dignity.

Attached Files:

http://london.indymedia.org.uk/system/file_upload/2009/04/03/50/g20_poster_yellow.pdf

http://london.indymedia.org.uk/system/file_upload/2009/04/03/51/g20_truth_a5dbl_yellow.pdf

I'm embarrassed that 'radicals' would sink so low as to use this man's death for a 'cause'.

Thread of fail.

Of course.

Kinda struggling to blame this fella's heart attack on police brutality, or have missed something? Sad but true - folk drop dead on the streets of London everyday.l

So, l.o.l., you reckon we should just leave it to the police to impartially and neutrally investigate what happened? De Menezes ring a bell?

Matt

So you've seen that, yet still think there shouldn't be any outcry over the police's actions? :hmm:

[eta]
Oh yeah, I forgot, you're an "anarchist" that works in the city

Back
Top Bottom