Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French Revolutionary Calendar - what are you?

zedr

new but not *that* new
I've been researching the French Revolution for work, and for the first time have properly read about the Republican Calendar. It's all a bit off the wall but I love the pastoral/rural aspect of the calendar. In particular how every day has it's own animal, plant, mineral or tool associated to it. I've started asking pals what their birthdays are and what their corresponding rural thing is when out and its always fun seeing what connections people draw.

Eg I'm born on the 11th Vendemiarie so I'm a pomme de terre, both my favourite veg to eat and grow! Also, quite boring, stubborn and lasts best when covered in dirt.

What's your veg/animal/mineral and does it match you?

(Hope this is the right board to post in! Assumed it fits best with History)

Why couldn't I be born on the Fourth of July? I'd have no alternative but to smoke then.

Sure I remember someone or other doing poems inspired by the French revolutionary calendar and I think the days thing in particular, buggered if I can remember who it was though.

Sure I remember someone or other doing poems inspired by the French revolutionary calendar and I think the days thing in particular, buggered if I can remember who it was though.
Zoe Skoulding, I would guess.

I'm a dense, highly viscous, petroleum-based hydrocarbon that is found in deposits such as oil sands and pitch lakes (natural) or is obtained as a residue of the distillation of crude oil (refined).

Bitumen

Back
Top Bottom