Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Forest fires in Chile, Feb 2024

planetgeli

There's no future in England's dreaming

At least 64 dead, 1600 without homes. It's happening around Vina del Mar, which is next to Valparaiso and these are common holiday destinations, Santiago not being that far away.

Interestingly, despite them coming in a period of dry heat where they might occur naturally, the President and the governor of Valparaiso are suggesting they are deliberate, and despite being in 4 separate locations they combusted simultaneously. 'For the fun of it' arsonists don't usually work in such a way.

These are major forest fires spreading towards densely (for Chile) populated areas.

Interesting to see how this plays out.

I don't really find people being burnt to death "interesting".

Last edited:
The Camp Fire in Paradise, CA, which cost 85 lives, was started by faulty transmission lines. I believe it also started in multiple locations when high winds brought down the lines. I don't think anyone was ever charged, despite them knowing about the problem for years. It could be something similar here.

LOS ANGELES — Cal Fire said Wednesday the catastrophic Camp Fire in November 2018 was caused by electrical transmission lines owned by Pacific Gas & Electric

In a statement, the state agency said it conducted “a very meticulous and thorough investigation” of the Camp Fire — the deadliest and most destructive fire in California history. The Camp Fire destroyed most of the town of Paradise, California, resulting in 85 civilian fatalities and the destruction of more than 18,800 structures.

In February, PG&E said in a regulatory filing that it believed it’s “probable” that the company’s equipment will be found to be the source of the Camp Fire. Before that, the company also acknowledged it had problems with its transmission equipment near the site of the blaze.

Horrific way to die.

I don't really fing people being burnt to death "interesting".

It is interesting how politicians cast about for someone to put the blame upon, at least, someone other than themselves or their corporate donors. They do this in such a knee-jerk fashion that it's a bit appalling. When the Texas cold spell left almost 250 people to die in the cold without power, the governor was quick to blame wind power, despite there being no evidence. Later investigations showed that it was mostly the power company's mismanagement of their conventional resources that were to blame. They tried to save money by not winterizing their supply chain. Again, no one went to prison for this criminal level of greed.

Death toll has doubled.

Climate looking more like the cause from my reading.

"There was a lot of wind, a lot of wind and big balls of fire that would fly by.”

Ingrid Crespo, 59, said she first saw the fire far in the distance on Friday then watched it jump from hill to hill.

“The sparks would leap and the wind was blowing like it was a hurricane,”

So maybe not 'combusted in 4 separate places simultaneously'. (See OP)

I was recently in Santiago. Even before these fires the air pollution was horrible. I can only imagine what it's like now.

Back
Top Bottom