Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Folkestone town, Harbour station - news and photos

May give that a go as been doing a lot of walking this week and the weather is good

Seems like a lot of the harbour arm stuff is closed on a Wednesday
you wont be dissapointed, theres some great bits along the way....
if you drive you can start at the clifftop cafe - alternatively start at the Valiant Sailor for a slightly longer walk
do not accidentally walk down to the beach as thats a dead end
walkies.png

I keep seeing articles in the paper about Folkestone being the best place to live in the SE or whatever but pretty sure they're just paid for by the bloke trying to flog the flats.

That said, if it's sunny then the Harbour Arm is a lovely place to be. The Warren is a great hidden beach with fossils. The Leas give brilliant views over to France. Lots of pubs, an excellent comedy club in a bowls club, the quarterhouse is a great venue, the Old High Street is nice... I do like it.

Pleasant but boring. Staid. We had good coffee in a nice coffee shop opposite Waitrose car park.
That is all of this part of Kent I find - my Dad lives here but I didn’t grow up around here

Literally feels like a place lacking in anything. There’s no edge or grit like somewhere urban, no dramatic landscape, it’s just a bit beige and comfortable.

At least when I go down to the marshes or beach it feels a bit more alive.

I keep seeing articles in the paper about Folkestone being the best place to live in the SE or whatever but pretty sure they're just paid for by the bloke trying to flog the flats.

That said, if it's sunny then the Harbour Arm is a lovely place to be. The Warren is a great hidden beach with fossils. The Leas give brilliant views over to France. Lots of pubs, an excellent comedy club in a bowls club, the quarterhouse is a great venue, the Old High Street is nice... I do like it.
I recently stayed with a friend who had recently moved to Folkestone and she loves the place, and has met loads of new friends even if some locals will dismiss her as one of the dreaded DFL brigade (Down From London).

Visited some cracking pubs too. By only real complaint is the lack of not-shit late bars/clubs there.

Yeah I think south coast DFL doesnt hold up much anymore, as so many are that its harder to find those not....watched a thing about the extinction of the kent and sussex accents the other day, DFL language has taken over

My friend who grew up in Folkestone, told me that a lot of the locals are pissed off about all the trendy art shops, cafes and bars, and influx of rich Londoners who are pushing up all the prices. I can see her point.

I go to Folkestone regularly - kind of have to since Dover lacks pretty much most of everything. Last year i was down by the harbour and there were a bunch of punks playing loud music, and arsing about. Not one of them was under 50. I thought that was pretty cool, since I'm nearly 60 myself.

Back
Top Bottom