Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

First New York trip - tips, places to stay, things to see...

Going over on the QM2 this week ......hope to hit the subway "hard" for the 1964 trains on the C local.

And a few other things....

tumblr_ogktuqujIM1qihzsfo1_500.jpg

Used to have to go a couple of times a month at one point, but not been for a while and will be taking kids with me next trip, aged 18 & 9. Besides the usual, anyone got anything that would make it a stand out trip?

Have done Staten Island ferry (the twin towers were a great view when I last did it, old) Will look at Beacon, seems the thing I'm after, ta. Also seem to have put this in the wrong forum, please can it be moved to either NY or travel?

We are there with teen daughters (14 and 16) in August.

Beacon looks great but we are staying in Catskills for 4 nights at start of fortnight before heading to Manhattan so may have had our fill of quaint.

It’ll be the first time the Winotettes have been to NYC and I suspect it’ll be enough of a wow as it stands. My rough list includes:

Staten Island ferry
Ellis island immigration museum
Coney Island
High Line
Empire State Building
Katz deli
Brooklyn Bridge (by bike?)
Lower East Side Tenement Museum
Guggenheim museum
Central Park

Anticipate they’ll be spending a lot of time mooching around vintage clothing shops in East Village too.

Red Rooster in Harlem and a walk around the area looking at the brownstones and projects
Williamsburg looking at the hipsters
Helicopter over Manhattan if you're rich

Downtown Brooklyn - walk over the bridge from Manhattan - NY Subway museum at Court St (Brooklyn) and some mooching around Brooklyn Heights and associated areas. (walk down to the waterfront under the Manhattan bridges)

Next time we go , will definately stay in Brooklyn. We did last time in 2019 and it was great.

My cynical gf says, bearing in mind kids, the Apple store and the Abercrombie & Fitch shop, for which you have to queue for hours.

She also says The High Line.

Smallpox hospital? (LOL, but true)

Water Street rooftop with hidden aeroplane and fancy lights at night.

Whispering gallery Grand Central Station.

We went on the Roosevelt Ariel Tramway which gave really nice views over Manhattan and the East River. Also, definitely go to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum located in the Hell's Kitchen area, West side of Manhattan. It has a brilliant ship museum, loads of planes, a submarine and even a space shuttle, all of which you can visit. We loved it. Last but not least, we took a short boat trip to Governor's Island; it's a real nice place to chill out and the views looking back towards New York are some of the best you'll see. We took loads of pictures there. Not many people think about going there, but it's a must see in my opinion.

We went on the Roosevelt Ariel Tramway which gave really nice views over Manhattan and the East River. Also, definitely go to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum located in the Hell's Kitchen area, West side of Manhattan. It has a brilliant ship museum, loads of planes, a submarine and even a space shuttle, all of which you can visit. We loved it. Last but not least, we took a short boat trip to Governor's Island; it's a real nice place to chill out and the views looking back towards New York are some of the best you'll see. We took loads of pictures there. Not many people think about going there, but it's a must see in my opinion.
Governors Island only used to be open at weekends during summer so it’s no surprise that many people haven’t been.

beacon is also where this is, so you must go.

the smallpox hospital is on Roosevelt Island, where you could spend most of a day, but the hospital itself is a ruins and you can't go into it.

great views from all sides though.

You can get a combined bus / entry ticket to 6 flags in NJ , takes about an hour on the coach but is a pretty cool theme park, plus on the coach you get to see the Manhattan skyline from a distance which is pretty spectacular.

Going up the Rockerfella tower is pretty good as you get to see the empire state building from up high which you cant do when going up it ( obvs )

When did you last go? Hudson Yards is fairly new with the cool looking Vessel and the observation deck.

What time of year are you going?

Going in August. Friend who lives in Brooklyn is arranging 'a surprise' for us, will be a hoot, I'm sure...

Going up the Rockerfella tower is pretty good as you get to see the empire state building from up high which you cant do when going up it ( obvs )

I prefer the Rockerfeller for that reason. The views are better and you can see the Empire State building.

Do Times Square too. Obviously it's a massive tourist trap but for a 9 and 18 year old it'll be great fun to just be in the middle of and see all the flashy screens and shit.

Not suitable for the kids but there used to be a bar with a see through shower cubicle in. Just in case you felt sweaty

These tips are all very welcome to me as well - me and my other half know New York pretty well, but haven't been since 2004. We're going in late July/early August for a week with our 13 year old daughter.

Does anyone know what the general rules are about kids being allowed in bars in NY? This wouldn't be in the evening but I'd like to have a couple of beers in some decent bars while we're there. This obviously wasn't a consideration in our previous visits and the info I can find online seems a bit contradictory.

These tips are all very welcome to me as well - me and my other half know New York pretty well, but haven't been since 2004. We're going in late July/early August for a week with our 13 year old daughter.

Does anyone know what the general rules are about kids being allowed in bars in NY? This wouldn't be in the evening but I'd like to have a couple of beers in some decent bars while we're there. This obviously wasn't a consideration in our previous visits and the info I can find online seems a bit contradictory.
Good point - interested in this too.

Have just booked tickets for The Shins who are playing Radio City while we’re there.

it's not forbidden by law, i believe, but the bar culture here is not the pub culture (of ireland at least, england too?) and bringing in children is not the practice.

trip advisor says:

Back
Top Bottom