Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

First New York trip - tips, places to stay, things to see...

When I visited New York I took a great class at ---. I learned how to use my camera better and took amazing pictures of the city skyline. It was something fun and different from just "sightseeing"

First Post and spamming us with a commercial operation. The images I can make out on that website don't excite me a great deal either.

Hope its free courses for all Urbanites who want to visit NY after this then?

When I visited New York I took a great class at ----. I learned how to use my camera better and took amazing pictures of the city skyline. It was something fun and different from just "sightseeing"
Really tacky spam. Be off with you.

I'll be there for a few days on the July 4 weekend. I've been before but taking the wife for the first time who's never been.

I was wondering if anyone had any reconsiderations to view the 4 July fireworks from the Empire State Building? I know they can be seen for miles but I wanted to get a choice view so I was thinking the top of the Rockefeller Centre, which I was going to go to anyway so could kill two birds with one stone there, but I'd be welcome to any other suggestions.

I've also got a day doing the sights and being taken round by a proper old school new yorker cabby, one of the few original new yorkers driving the cabs. He's gonna drive us about in his yellow cab seeing as much of NYC as possible for fixed fee which I'm well looking forward to.

If I was there at the right time (unfortunately I'm gonna miss it) - I'd go to Coney Island to see the Roller Derby. Gotham Girls Roller Derby host matches at the Abe Stark Arena, and it looks like a blast.
They recruit volunteers to help set up the arena, sell merch, etc. That would be a great way to meet new yaawkers, and there's always an after-party. :cool:

http://www.gothamgirlsrollerderby.com/

I've also got a day doing the sights and being taken round by a proper old school new yorker cabby, one of the few original new yorkers driving the cabs. He's gonna drive us about in his yellow cab seeing as much of NYC as possible for fixed fee which I'm well looking forward to.
I would say the best way to see New York is to walk. It's a fantastic city to walk around.

I would say the best way to see New York is to walk. It's a fantastic city to walk around.

We'll be doing plenty of that too. I've been laods of times before so I know where to go.

But this is a chance to ride around for one day with a proper cabby up to places I wouldn't get time to see otherwise, and learn a lot of things I didn't already know from a real new yorker. Plus he gave me an absolute steal of a rate in return for some PR.

We're going in October and again will be using some of the great tips here.

I'm not a great person for taking photos but the only ones I wish I had taken were of past trips to New York. I've been in 1992, 2006 and 2012 and it seemed almost a different city each time. I'd love to have the photos to compare the different times.

Booked for middle of next month. Staying in Jersey for 2 nights and Manhattan for 3 nights. Any Jersey tips besides going to the Cake Boss shop :D?

Booked for middle of next month. Staying in Jersey for 2 nights and Manhattan for 3 nights. Any Jersey tips besides going to the Cake Boss shop :D?
Where in Jersey? It's a big, long state, used to go there for work three or four times a year.....

Artyfarty we're in Bridgewater, the reason is because my wife has to do a little bit of work and we stay on for a break in Manhattan. I freeload along to the free hotel.

Editor - That's brilliant to get a free flight. We're going because we have 2 nights free and a free flight. We have splashed out for a place called Ace Hotel near Korea Town which I'm excited about. The hotel looks so arse clenchingly hip it's probably got a mouser and a bow tie :D

Leaving on Thursday. Any last minute tips for good bars? Last time I spent a lot of time in Grassroots Tavern in St Marks place mainly because of lack of bullshit and the bar tenders were really nice. I like the area too.

Leaving on Thursday. Any last minute tips for good bars? Last time I spent a lot of time in Grassroots Tavern in St Marks place mainly because of lack of bullshit and the bar tenders were really nice. I like the area too.
Three Cups, Home Sweet Home bar and Double Down saloon were all places I liked (all lower Manhattan/Lower East Side).

Found a great bar last night called "Braggards" on west 35th street. I guess it's what is now known as a Dive Bar (a description that irritates me for some reason). It's just a typical old school Manhattan bar full of people being themselves. Highly recommend.

Up with the jet lag at 6am, I had a diner breakfast (yay!) and Then walked all around Penn and Port Authority Bus Terminal etc and it's great just to get the atmosphere of the rush hour. It's like being on TV.

Walked along 42nd street for the first time in 20+ years. "The Duece" is a bit different to what I remember. With its inexplicable queues for places like Madam Tussaud's and massive fast food franchises I can't see how it's an improvement. But I guess I'm speaking to the converted.

Here's my own feature:

high-line-manhattan-new-york-04.jpg

high-line-manhattan-new-york-44.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/photos/newyork/high-line-manhattan-new-york.html

That is seriously cool!

That is seriously cool!
I must be the only person who was slightly underwhelmed by the High Line. Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I just went on a bad day (it was quite crowded). I mean it was okay, but I won't be going out of my way to return.

I must be the only person who was slightly underwhelmed by the High Line. Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I just went on a bad day (it was quite crowded). I mean it was okay, but I won't be going out of my way to return.
If it was really crowded I could see its appeal being limited.

Got back on Wednesday morning after another wonderful time. I have only one fairly unusual thing to add to the "offbeat" thread you all may not be aware of:

Following a browse through Hells Kitchen Flea if you walk back downtown along 10th avenue from 38th street to about 25th there are a load of busy taxi part shops and garages and old businesses. It feels really old NYC and not a sniff of new bars or gentrification.

Reminded me of the kind of city scenes Editor likes to photograph. Very interesting walk

Back
Top Bottom