Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

First New York trip - tips, places to stay, things to see...

Hmm, I'm trying to hunt down Christmas time flights. It's not cheap is it?

i know this: that when the wife and i went to ireland a few years ago the prices dropped sharply each day after the 25th. so if you're in a position to put it off a few days you may save a bundle.

moonsi til said:
about the neighbourhood
which one, may i ask?

1927 put me onto a place in Manhattan very close to the museum mile. This time tomorrow I will have visited 2 of them at least...:)

I returned home this morning after having a amazing week in NYC. I arrived at the brownstone place I was staying and did a happy sigh when I saw the cute pumpkins outside. I purchased a 7 day metrocard for I think $27 which was just amazing value for the amount of bobbing and stomping around the city I did. I didn't manage to achieve all that I had planned but more than happy with my visit. I met a old friend there and we had a fun time catching up eating, drinking & laughing our way around the city. We were over the village for the halloween parade and after a small mission to find a non Starbucks place for tea & cake we ended up bagging a top spot to watch the parade...I would go back to visit for the parade itself.

I went to NYC with bagels in mind but it soon became all about the pizza...I had 4 regular slices and a scillonian...each slice was pure melty pizza heaven. I also have quite a supply of M&Ms including the new pretzel flavour. I didn't make it to a gig or a club but managed a comedy show, a musical & a play on Broadway.

Everyone I got directions from were really friendly and most often it was them coming up to us as we were looking at the subway map asking if they could help and I never felt unsafe at any piont. Fab holiday but an expensive one.

I'm off to NY in 10 days. My first trip there and can't wait. Feels like I've waiting for years to visit. Am definitely checking out the highline but finding it difficult to shortlist everything else.
I'm working on a googlemap of everything I want to do and then trying to narrow it down.

I need this holiday :cool:

We'll be out there soon too. High Line is top of my list, but I've got loads more places to check out. I fancy another train trip out somewhere too.

I went to the Highline but didn't get chance to walk along enough of it. It's def worth visiting but only if you have time to walk along it.

I adored the MoMA and find myself day-dreaming about it I also discovered that there are a lot of dog owners in New York...the volume surprised me.

Ed, when did you last visit Coney Island? I'm wondering if it's still worth a trip out there..

Never been to Barry Island so I'm thinking Warriors :hmm:

The tenement museum looks great, btw. Just added that to the ever increasing list.

I foresee another trip.

Blimey! Look at these pics of the abandoned and beautifully preserved City Hall station which hasn't been used since 1904:

slide_13167_179141_large.jpg

slide_13167_179128_large.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/10/the-hidden-abandoned-city_n_781669.html#s179141

Thanks, Ed - Great photos! I've just got to convince the missus to visit a once glorious run-down seaside town. I want to visit *because* of Warriors. It's a toss up between that and a Jets game, atm.

those are special pictures and unfortunately it won't look that way when you ride through it. at least it doesn't now.

Blimey! Look at these pics of the abandoned and beautifully preserved City Hall station which hasn't been used since 1904:
Minor nitpick:

The station opened in 1904; it was closed to service in 1945. Great photos, though.

If you ask the train conductor on the terminating downtown no 6 "nicely" - they will let you ride round the City Hall loop as the train turns on its way back up to the Bronx. I had no problems in doing this back in 2008 - but its not really lit , and you just get a fleeting glimpse from the slowly moving train. Worth doing.

I recomend the run out on the Jamaica El subway through Bushwick etc via Broadway Junction. Great views of an area that is massivly changed from the 1980's. Any run over the Manhattan bridge subway lines is worth doing to.

Brooklyn waterfront below the Bridge is interesting - cobbled streets with abandoned railway lines etc.

I think there is still a cross harbour "car ferry" - cars as in railroad cars from New Jersey to Brooklyn - run by the CHRR - a bonus if you can get to see this , or better still, get some photos published. (this saves a massive rail detour via the Hudson Valley)

I've just bought flights for Christmas and New Year. Not been over for a couple of years. To say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement.

It's just started properly snowing in Brooklyn!

This week we've been mostly broken by drinking in Hanks, and Moe's in Fort Greene and eating waaaay too much good food.

Second Christmas Day today and then planning on doing the HighLine in the snow tomorrow, and then sorting out something for NYE. Recommendations welcome, or we'll be bar hopping on Smith Street...

It's just started properly snowing in Brooklyn!

This week we've been mostly broken by drinking in Hanks, and Moe's in Fort Greene and eating waaaay too much good food.

Second Christmas Day today and then planning on doing the HighLine in the snow tomorrow, and then sorting out something for NYE. Recommendations welcome, or we'll be bar hopping on Smith Street...

Hope it hasn't spoiled your holiday too much.

It has been absolute chaos in Central Brooklyn these past two days.

Ah but fun! Suffered from slush foot this afternoon, and our street still hasn't been ploughed yet, but at least you can get around 99% of the time. NYE sorted too, some random event in Fort Greene. Moma tomorrow, if the holiday crowds aren't too great, and then meeting up with old London friends...

It was frankly Hell with a digital camera attached. People literally ticking off the painting / photo opportunities along with cheesy poses.

Back
Top Bottom