Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

First New York trip - tips, places to stay, things to see...

It's GORGEOUS!

Perfect Highline weather.

I also really recommend a trip up to Fort Tryon Park. It's one of my fave places and you can check out Washington Heights and walk all the way down the length of Manhattan afterwards...

The Cloisters up at Fort Tryon Park is well worth a visit .....

Reccomend a subway trip to the Bronx too - elevated for much of the way so good views of what used to be a "warzone" (not now though) - Woodlawn cemetary at the end of the 4 / 5 line is supposedly worth a wander around.

It's GORGEOUS!

Perfect Highline weather.

I also really recommend a trip up to Fort Tryon Park. It's one of my fave places and you can check out Washington Heights and walk all the way down the length of Manhattan afterwards...

I'v just been up the Highline in the sunshine!:cool: Ridiculously cool. This is my fourth time in New York and it might be my favourite thing I've done here.

Have allowed myself a cheeky beer, posting from a bar now, but off back out in the sun shortly.

D - I notice that on the street in general, most people have their coats still on? Is it because it's the first sun for a bit or something?

I'v just been up the Highline in the sunshine!:cool: Ridiculously cool. This is my fourth time in New York and it might be my favourite thing I've done here.

Have allowed myself a cheeky beer, posting from a bar now, but off back out in the sun shortly.

D - I notice that on the street in general, most people have their coats still on? Is it because it's the first sun for a bit or something?

Most people have their coats on because, yes, it only just popped above 40 degrees at the end of last week. Yesterday and today have been the first signs of spring's eminent arrival.

Also, while it's gorgeous outside, it's not really t-shirt weather yet. I'm wearing a thin wool shirt and a shell to bike around town today.

Incidentally, we get plenty of sun in NYC. It's just often freezing and sunny.

Most people have their coats on because, yes, it only just popped above 40 degrees at the end of last week. Yesterday and today have been the first signs of spring's eminent arrival.

Also, while it's gorgeous outside, it's not really t-shirt weather yet. I'm wearing a thin wool shirt and a shell to bike around town today.

I walked from 87th Street West to the starting point of The Highline in the Meatpacking District today and had to take my mac off because I sweating up. Perfectly warm in a thin shirt. Not that I'm disagreeing with you, I prolly have a lack of internal thermostat:D

I was only here September and I'm still really excited to be here. :cool:

Damn! I'm well jealous. I so want to take a walk along the High Line!

Be glad too though! As mentioned above, I've been here relatively recently recently and I'd never heard of it. But for your website, I wouldn't have been there and I really, really enjoyed it. So kudos and thanks.:cool:

I'm having to postpone my trip instead of going late April I will be going late October and will be there for Halloween. I have managed thankfully to book the same accomodation.. So my trip is now about 7 months away rather than one!!

Well, after a long & very trying trip to get here, we have really enjoyed our first full day in Queens.

Started off on foot at Corona Plaza to Flushing Meadows Park. Then on to Jackson Heights and wandered around that area for a few hours. Then Astoria and walked back to the hotel where I am now resting my aching feet - Guess what idiot got new boots the day before we left!

Going out soon to find somewhere to watch the sunset over Manhattan. :)

Yup - I can see why. This part of the city is really vibrant and diverse place. Jackson Heights is the highlight so far. Colourful, human scale with the bonus of a good curry and a few beers to break the long day.

After the suset, we spent the evening in a pleasant Irish bar in Woodside/61st area. Great.

Now getting ready for a very early start tomorrow and some more upscale sightseeing.

It really has been lovely in NYC for weeks now :cool: The high line isn't everything it's cracked up to be ed, don't worry

Three subway lines and a busy rail yard visible from our hotel window - this place is a trainspotters paradise. :)

Well soudproofed too, although we left the window open last night to hear the trains rattling by

Pissing rain today, so a museum or two I think?

Three subway lines and a busy rail yard visible from our hotel window - this place is a trainspotters paradise. :)

Well soudproofed too, although we left the window open last night to hear the trains rattling by

Pissing rain today, so a museum or two I think?

Have you been to MOMA? The Artist is Present is a must. And the William Kentridge is great (though I've not explored it as thoroughly).

Not been there but visited several other galleries & museums - to the point where we are probably saturated FTM.

Bands & dancing tonight. :)

If you leave NYC without seeing The Artist is Present you will have definitely missed out on something extra super duper special.

That is only my (VERY STRONG) opinion, of course. :D

what bands and dancing where?

:cool:

A band we saw in a bar in Hells Kitcen earlier and dancing in a bar in Flatiron. We had a great night there a few nights before.

MOMA tomorrow.

Got back tonight to find police & a load of fire trucks scraping a couple of street racers out of a car behind the hotel. They rear-ended a VW & rolled. Messy! :(

ETA - we may have got ourselves on Good Morning America on Friday morning, at a recording of something I am far too embarrased to own-up to even agreeing to be dragged along to. :oops:

So I got my revenge by getting her to come to see Jefferson Starship last night - she ended-up leaving the place with Marty Balin's autograph! :D

Actually, plans have just changed. We may head out of the city tomorrow & go to MOMA on Monday morning instead.

We had a spectacular time thanks. :)

A bit of a delay at the end as BA cancelled out flight and didn't rebook-us. Nothing like the grief at the beginning of the holiday tho and TBH, we didn't mind having to stay-on a couple of days extra. ;) Then they couldn't give us a connection home as half the Heathrow-Scotland flights were off cos of the strike. But we still had a couple of days left on our Metrocards and JFK itself turned out to be an OK base for that end of the city.

Possibly the worst post holiday blues ever set-in over the weekend, so we are resolved to be back as soon as we possibly can.

Although it may well be a different kind of trip next time as we will also be taking her boy.

Back
Top Bottom