Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Finally, we can discuss Radio listening figures . RAJAR release stats .

marty21

One on one? You're crazy.

So, let's discuss Radio listening, what have you been listening to over the crisis?

I listen to Radio 4 but only on catch up , used to have Radio 4 wake me up but my Radio alarm days are no more as I didn't need to wake up early when #wfh became the new norm.

I listen to Times Radio when I'm wfh , it's good background (I can't get on with music when I'm wfh)

I listen to 5 live for sports stuff , and 6 music, mainly at the weekends.

What stations tickle your fancy?

I generally listen to rinse.fm or NTS when at home. 6 music sometimes and 5live when there is cricket or football that I can't sit down and watch. Radio 4 when I'm in the car but that's only because my CD player is playing up and I haven't got bluetooth. I'd rather be listening to music but Radio 1 and 2 are unbearable nonsense and local stations have way too many ads.

The majority of listening these days is on mixcloud, soundcloud, spotify or albums I have as mp3s on my PC.

I tend to only listen to Radio Caroline at home, and Greatest Hits Radio, More Radio (local tin-pot FM), or CodeSouth (Brighton pirate) when driving, depending on their coverage to the East & West of Worthing.

I reckon the team at Times Radio must be pleased with their RAJAR figure of 637,000 listeners.

The top 10 are -

1. BBC Radio 2 (14,181,000)
2. BBC Radio 4 (10,342,000)
3. BBC Radio 1 (9,352,000)
4. Heart (8,564,000)
5. Capital (7,071,000)
6. Hits Radio (5,914,000)
7. Kiss (5,558,000)
8. Classic FM (5,137,000)
9. Smooth Radio (5,133,000)
10. BBC Radio 5 Live (4,983,000)

Full figures here - RAJAR

Mostly listen to radio 3 these days - lots of the music they play isn't to my tastes, but it's the only station I find myself regularly caught off-guard by a piece of music and scrabbling for a pen to write down what's been played.

I like some of the shows on Radio 6 (Ravenscroft, Freakzone and a few other bits) but mostly find it pretty dull. I enjoy listening to Radio 1 if I'm driving somewhere on a weekend night, though the modern club music they play then is a bit of a mystery to me, and I don't ever want to go and buy the songs...

Classic FM is my station of choice on the radio / alarm.

In the car, usually Classic again, or rarely BBC Radios 2 & 4.

Don't play much music / radio as I did.
I've got to the age when I prefer mostly silence - or natural sounds, such as wind in trees, and birdsong, that I can hear out of the window. Got those by the hour, especially WFH in the first big lockdown - when I also did a lot of gardening.

I do like gentle waves on a pebble beach or a rippling stream over rocks as background sounds. Missed those over lockdown.

I tend to only listen to Radio Caroline at home, and Greatest Hits Radio, More Radio (local tin-pot FM), or CodeSouth (Brighton pirate) when driving, depending on their coverage to the East & West of Worthing.

I reckon the team at Times Radio must be pleased with their RAJAR figure of 637,000 listeners.

The top 10 are -

1. BBC Radio 2 (14,181,000)
2. BBC Radio 4 (10,342,000)
3. BBC Radio 1 (9,352,000)
4. Heart (8,564,000)
5. Capital (7,071,000)
6. Hits Radio (5,914,000)
7. Kiss (5,558,000)
8. Classic FM (5,137,000)
9. Smooth Radio (5,133,000)
10. BBC Radio 5 Live (4,983,000)

Full figures here - RAJAR
Do you listen to Radio Caroline on 648khz or online?

Do you listen to Radio Caroline on 648khz or online?

Online via Alexa, 648 AM is no good on the Sussex coast, although that could change when they switch on the new transmitter, following OFCOM agreeing they can increase power.

It's available on DAB In Brighton, but that doesn't reach Worthing, not that I have a DAB set anyway.

Online via Alexa, 648 AM is no good on the Sussex coast, although that could change when they switch on the new transmitter, following OFCOM agreeing they can increase power.

It's available on DAB In Brighton, but that doesn't reach Worthing, not that I have a DAB set anyway.
Didn't know they are on the Brighton DAB. The London DAB+ for Caroline is just not strong enough around where I am. On the M25 it drops in and out which is a pain.

BBC Radio 4
BBC World Service
BBC Radio 2
Absolute Radio

Sometimes when away from home I just browse the stations and listen to whatever takes my fancy.

I like radio 3 because it doesn't move with the times at all. That's come in handy over the last couple of years because the times have not being moving anywhere good.

I listen to radio 4 stuff on the internet but the actual radio is always on 3 unless there's cricket.

E2a: Reading that back I sense that I may have become an old person :(

Didn't know they are on the Brighton DAB. The London DAB+ for Caroline is just not strong enough around where I am. On the M25 it drops in and out which is a pain.

Radio Caroline is on various small scale trail DAB multiplexes across the country (Norwich, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Brighton, Central London and Cambridge). these are very limited in range, and so fairly cheap, being mainly funded by listener subscriptions & donations, even with all those involved being unpaid volunteers, there's no way they could afford the rates for commercial DAB multiplexes.

I think they are doing well with the 648 AM licence, which ironically is an ex-BBC World Service frequency and transmitted from the former BBC WS site & mast too. :D

Radio Caroline is on various small scale trail DAB multiplexes across the country (Norwich, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Brighton, Central London and Cambridge). these are very limited in range, and so fairly cheap, being mainly funded by listener subscriptions & donations, even with all those involved being unpaid volunteers, there's no way they could afford the rates for commercial DAB multiplexes.

I think they are doing well with the 648 AM licence, which ironically is an ex-BBC World Service frequency and transmitted from the former BBC WS site & mast too. :D
And site of some most interesting cold war over the horizon radar experiments.

233,000 listening to Boom Radio "run by Baby Boomers for Baby Boomers".

Was listening to abit of Boom Radio today... felt reassuringly familiar - even the jingles are very 1980s.. Hear it denting the Radio 2 audience..

Since getting Spotify I rarely listen to the radio for music - Today in the morning (even though I generally hate half of it..) and Podcasts have taken over..

Was listening to abit of Boom Radio today... felt reassuringly familiar - even the jingles are very 1980s.. Hear it denting the Radio 2 audience..

:D:D:D

The Radio 2 figures are up on their last RAJAR figures, they have well over 14m listeners, so Boom with under 0.25m listeners is seriously not denting the Radio 2 audience.

Back
Top Bottom