Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite veggie sausage?

What's the best banger?

• Total voters
Sausage is a shape, not an ingredient though :)

Probably mentioned the smoked butter bean ones I had in a restaurant at least once on this thread - utterly lush.
Yeh that was my point I guess tho probably badly described, like its a tube shape, can do that with anything, whats the big deal unless its as a replacement for "traditional" sausage". I get it fits in buns better same as veggie burgers do, my mum and step dad are were vegan/veg veg/veg and now pisc/pisc. They just cooked food that suited the diet they picked. Meat replacements in the same shape were less important I guess. Smoked butter beans sounds awesome tho I would still rather have a big plate of them than being shaped and named as a sausage, each to their own.

The wife has a similar opinion and very much describes herself as a vegetarian - she hates the current trend of making everything vegetarian fake meat or Just Like Meat.
I had a vegan burger once and ran back to the fridge thinking I'd picked up meat ones. It was too like meat for my liking.
Don't get me started on the faux bacon that looks like it has rind! Deffo aiming that stuff for the flexitarians.

Just going to vent here.
Towards the end of last year all the supermarkets seemed to have agreed that it was worth stocking a couple of chilled-not-frozen vegan sausages that weren't stuffed with wheat and weren't trying really hard to be meat. Mostly they had their own-brand ones, or an expensive alternative, but you could reliably get a 6-pack of vegan sausages at a local-ish shop.

Then they got rid of all of it in favour of christmas fare.

And it didn't come back. Not at all.

Until I found that the co-op at manor house has a reasonable chilled vegan sausage made from pea and I think soya and without wheat. Bit of a walk, but at least there is an option again.

No idea what happened to the other ones. There were some pretty tasty mushroomy ones out there last year, too.

thanks, the last aldi I checked round here didn't have anything like a sensible sausage so now I have a useful side-quest.
Having said that, think they are only available in the frozen section, I don't look in chilled as much but seems like they might not have any chilled veggie sausages if that's a dealbreaker for you.

Having said that, think they are only available in the frozen section, I don't look in chilled as much but seems like they might not have any chilled veggie sausages if that's a dealbreaker for you.
Chilled ones force me to make three meals in three days using sausages, whereas frozen ones can lurk, forgotten, in the fridge forever. Señor Swing, meet Roundabout-san.

Uh oh! Cauldron are tinkering again, and there are already howls of outrage across social channels. Only a matter of time before they change them back again :D

View attachment 417538
I've tried them.

They've fucked it, again. What they seem to be trying to do is aim desperately for the overcrowded "I can't believe it's not a pork sausage" market - these things have gone dense, with a slight attempt at a skin with a bit of "bite". They've failed.

They're by no means as disgusting as their vegan effort, but there's really nothing to distinguish them now from many, many other non-meat sausages, many of them a good deal cheaper. I'm done with them. I've got a quantity of sosmix in the back of the cupboard, and I've been waiting for an excuse to get a sausage stuffing machine, so I think the time has come.

Goodbye, Cauldron. Or, rather, fuck off.

Where do you get your Sosmix from? It used to be common, but I haven't seen it for years.

Where do you get your Sosmix from? It used to be common, but I haven't seen it for years.

You cannot get Tartex on the high street now, it's all online. I miss its yeasty umami herbiness. 😢
I get my mate to bring me it from a health shop in Hoylake on the Wirral when he visits. That granose stuff is a poor substitute ( certain co-ops) .

I shop there when I'm over that way.
They do the Fry's garlic polony. Lovely fried or plain in a sarnie. The new owner is a bit of dick but the selection is great.

I'm so fucked off with the abomination that Cauldron have made of their vegetarian sausages - comments on their FB page below

1713111720434.png

that I bought a sausage stuffer. The results:

1713111747072.jpeg

(experimental batch - some technique improvements are pending).

Fuck you, Cauldron, and the horse you rode in on.

Veggie sausages worry me a bit. It's all so artificial. What the fuck even is quorn. I'd rather just eat some vegetables I think. I have a suspicion that all of the frozen supermarket burgers and sausages are fantastically bad for you.

I'm so fucked off with the abomination that Cauldron have made of their vegetarian sausages - comments on their FB page below

View attachment 419933

that I bought a sausage stuffer. The results:

View attachment 419934

(experimental batch - some technique improvements are pending).

Fuck you, Cauldron, and the horse you rode in on.
They look lovely!

And it seems that, like restaurants/bars that offer food, a lot of manufacturers are trying to make all their non-meat products vegan, which is fine if they do it well - but ballsing up what was a perfectly decent veggie sausage for the sake of being able to call it vegan and not caring that the end result is shit.

(WRT. restaurants/bars I understand them not wanting too expansive a menu, but there are plenty of vegetarians who relish eating a meat free meal out that involves cheese or cream etc. and that seems to have almost disappeared from menus recently).

Veggie sausages worry me a bit. It's all so artificial. What the fuck even is quorn. I'd rather just eat some vegetables I think. I have a suspicion that all of the frozen supermarket burgers and sausages are fantastically bad for you.
Most of what I eat, I make. But it is convenient to have something like sausages in for breakfasts, etc., and I've always particularly enjoyed the Cauldron ones. I've not moved that far in the processed food stakes with these sosmix ones, but the convenience factor still applies.

I do have other breakfast options that I make entirely myself, but they won't do for every day.

They look lovely!

And it seems that, like restaurants/bars that offer food, a lot of manufacturers are trying to make all their non-meat products vegan, which is fine if they do it well - but ballsing up what was a perfectly decent veggie sausage for the sake of being able to call it vegan and not caring that the end result is shit.

(WRT. restaurants/bars I understand them not wanting too expansive a menu, but there are plenty of vegetarians who relish eating a meat free meal out that involves cheese or cream etc. and that seems to have almost disappeared from menus recently).
Yeah. It took me a while to realise what was dismaying me about the "vegan revolution", but it's this. I am not vegetarian because I want to eat meat, but don't like to. I don't like eating meat, and I don't really want to eat stuff that is meant to appear to be meat. So it's somewhat ironic that this great push towards veganism (for all that vegans complain that they can't eat "vegetarian" food) actually represents something of a step backwards for vegetarians like me.

Veggie sausages are something to have with vegetables not instead of them. They're a great source of protein (unlike most veg), and easy to cook.

This is an interesting thread for me. I've cut right down on meat over the last few months with lamb and chicken being the only meats i do eat. I do miss sausages a lot but have been put off ever since I munched something called (i think) a 'Shroomdog' from Sainsburys. The texture was just all wrong, at least to me. I'd be more than up for adopting more veggie and vegan options if the replacements passed muster so I'm going to have to some reading through this......

This is an interesting thread for me. I've cut right down on meat over the last few months with lamb and chicken being the only meats i do eat. I do miss sausages a lot but have been put off ever since I munched something called (i think) a 'Shroomdog' from Sainsburys. The texture was just all wrong, at least to me. I'd be more than up for adopting more veggie and vegan options if the replacements passed muster so I'm going to have to some reading through this......

I think in terms of texture, Richmond Meat-Free and Quorn Bangers both have a fairly solid "meaty" feel to them. They also work well in stuff like toad in the hole and sausage casseroles, they maintain structural integrity when cooked in sauces and provide the same all important sausage to batter interface in toad. When I was veggie I personally preferred the Linda ones, but they definitely have a different texture and aren't very meat-like.

Quorn is fungi.
The whole "ultra processed" thing is getting to be as annoying as the carbs vs protein nonsense...
As it happens I currently eat almost nothing that meaningfully needs a label.
I did buy some cheap Aldi sausages a while back and was very impressed by the protein per 100 kcals so suspect maybe carbohydrate was being wasted....
I'm with existentialist .. I found Linda MC Carrtney's a bit iffy and will never try any of the uber-fake dead animal bits or lab products.

Last edited:
I think in terms of texture, Richmond Meat-Free and Quorn Bangers both have a fairly solid "meaty" feel to them. They also work well in stuff like toad in the hole and sausage casseroles, they maintain structural integrity when cooked in sauces and provide the same all important sausage to batter interface in toad. When I was veggie I personally preferred the Linda ones, but they definitely have a different texture and aren't very meat-like.
Just had a 'This Isn't Pork' sausage for brekkie- best fake veggie one out there imo...

Back
Top Bottom