Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fantasy book recommendations- with no sex!

How about the king killer chronicles, Patrick Rothfuss? Only the first two out currently. I don't recall there being any sex... But I could be wrong.

Fantasy never my thing - aside from Terry and I'd argue he wasn't really.

How about the Bernard Cornwell non Sharpes.

Start him with the standalone Stonehenge which is ace and overlaps with fantasy.

Then the non - magic (well just one piece) Arthur books
Then the Alfred series.
Good call that :) I love visiting stone circles and now he hates them as they are what he does in the summer holidays!

I have a precocious ten year old who loves epic Fantasy sagas- has read all the Wheel of Time books and want to get him some similar books but ones which don't contain sex, thus Game of Thrones can't be read for another year- any ideas?
Well to have read all 14 by ten is some achievement. Only managed 8 to 13 cos I was on the dole & had no telly. Would much rather have watched tipping point.
There is sex in TWOT & those bonded to those shagging get to feel the sensations of their bonder. Gets a bit saucy when Brandon Sanderson takes over.
Hell will be very knowledgeable when it starts streaming on Amazon.

Most fantasy books have an underlying perversion which is not always a bad thing.

I really enjoyed Bednobs & Broomsticks when I was ten but times might have moved on.

Well to have read all 14 by ten is some achievement. Only managed 8 to 13 cos I was on the dole & had no telly. Would much rather have watched tipping point.
There is sex in TWOT & those bonded to those shagging get to feel the sensations of their bonder. Gets a bit saucy when Brandon Sanderson takes over.
Hell will be very knowledgeable when it starts streaming on Amazon.

Most fantasy books have an underlying perversion which is not always a bad thing.

I really enjoyed Bednobs & Broomsticks when I was ten but times might have moved on.
I didn't know there was sex in TWOT! He has also read the Brandon Sanderson takeovers- oops.

Well there is not dogs fucking sex but there is references to warm feelings between the legs or something like that. Would not worry about it with a ten year old reader.

Isn't Egwene up the duff with Rands baby & on second thoughts thoughts that Aiel wench is having his twins.
I know TWOT is fantasy but even in a fantasy world you don't get up the duff without a cock spunking somewhere.

Great that a ten year old is reading such advanced stuff.

Last edited:
Well there is not dogs fucking sex but there is references to warm feelings between the legs or something like that. Would not worry about it with a ten year old reader.

Isn't Egwene up the duff with Rands baby & on second thoughts thoughts that Aiel wench is having his twins.
I know TWOT is fantasy but even in a fantasy world you don't get up the duff without a cock spunking somewhere.

Great that a ten year old is reading such advanced stuff.
He doesn't get invited to many birthday parties lol

Le Guin's Earthsea series or The Borribles Trilogy by Michael De Larrabeiti... yes, they are seen as YA titles, but personally, having read them as an adult, thoroughly enjoyed them.

No rumpy pumpy in either series, iirc

Dragonlance Chronicles? I mean, they're not great literature :D but I was all about them when I was 10.
yes! i burned through these at that age. i dont think ive ever read so eagerly in my life
i couldnt tell you a single thing about them now but they work on kids

also these went down well at that age

+Earthsea is great, verging on challenging for a ten year old IMO

Ah, probably, Chilli.s - shudders to recall my exciteable 10 year old discovering some gang-y, druggy computer game...back before they had MMP (?) games going on. I swear my eldest had to enter shit on his Sinclair and actually WRITE to other gamers. Not to mention playing Feds 'n Heads and Dealer McDope(terrible parent). I was generally OK with them reading all sorts of stuff, given the seductive alternatives.

Ah, probably, Chilli.s - shudders to recall my exciteable 10 year old discovering some gang-y, druggy computer game...back before they had MMP (?) games going on. I swear my eldest had to enter shit on his Sinclair and actually WRITE to other gamers. Not to mention playing Feds 'n Heads and Dealer McDope(terrible parent). I was generally OK with them reading all sorts of stuff, given the seductive alternatives.
At my kid's age, I had ploughed through Jilly Cooper, Jackie Collins and an Australian magazine called Cleo that had a naked man centrefold and was mostly about orgasms.

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams: The Dragonbone Chair, Stone of Farewell , and To Green Angel Tower
I have added that to my list :)
yes! i burned through these at that age. i dont think ive ever read so eagerly in my life
i couldnt tell you a single thing about them now but they work on kids

also these went down well at that age

+Earthsea is great, verging on challenging for a ten year old IMO
Kid is annoyingly pretentious and has not touched anything in the YA section for a few years- will see if I can find it in an 'unchildlike' cover.

Is there's an ebook reader available? Would the reader use one? That could save a lot of money in the long term.

Related to that, and just as with music, more and more people are marketing their writing as ebooks now. Here's a search for epic fantasy at Smashwords.com.
Not allowed at school officially but teacher has said he can use one as so much cheaper for me as he reads so much so he borrows mine sometimes-will look at your link and thanks

I have added that to my list :)

Kid is annoyingly pretentious and has not touched anything in the YA section for a few years- will see if I can find it in an 'unchildlike' cover.
the orginal covers shat me up - buy second hand

cover0002.JPG

Over-Sea-Under-Stone-1.jpg

Le Guin's Earthsea series or The Borribles Trilogy by Michael De Larrabeiti... yes, they are seen as YA titles, but personally, having read them as an adult, thoroughly enjoyed them.

No rumpy pumpy in either series, iirc

Also Le Guin's Annals of the Western Shore series, though I think the third book 'Powers' has some references to sex. YA titles again.

Back
Top Bottom