Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fantasy book recommendations- with no sex!

Well, R A Sa;lvatore has written some right shit but I find myself recommending the Dark Elf series (much loved by my youngest (adult) offspring. Also, Martin Scott's Thraxus series is amusing. C.J.Cherryh is madly prolific and her fantasy stuff can be iffy...but, your lad might enjoy the Morgaine cycle, Also Faded Sun, The Paladin. I always loved Sherry Tepper's True Game books (and check out the remarkable 'Grass'. Ah, Guy Gavriel Kay has done a lot of decent stuff (especially Tigana, and the Fionava trilogy. Robin Hobb and Sara Douglass are much loved authors.
I have ploughed through vast realms of this stuff (all my offspring are keen of the whole SF/Fantasy genre) and can, no doubt, come up with quite a few more.

Oh, although probably not adult, Alan Garner was a fave of mine while D-i-L is much enamoured of Neil Gaiman's output.
Thanks again- reckon he should be fine for a bit now- a weight off my shoulders- love it when he engaged in a proper series- will keep referring to your recommendations when he runs out of the next lot. I call them 'orc books' to piss him off.

Yep, I think so, cyberfairy - Milk, Sulphate and Alby Starvation, Good Fairies of New York et al (passed along to my daughter).
I am also going to second Joe Abercrombie (all the First Law trilogy...or any of them, really.
Not a fantasy fan but adored all of Martin Millar's books- met him at a friends and he was lovely- think he might have been on these boards at one time or another.

Um, my youngest was also massively keen on David Gemmell (and there are dozens of them...usually available secondhand for pennies. I probably ripped through quite a few myself...but honestly, they were just a teeny bit...laddish. Lots of heroic and noble sacrifices, nice clear boundaries between good and evil, negligible sex (if any, tbh|).

Um, my youngest was also massively keen on David Gemmell (and there are dozens of them...usually available secondhand for pennies. I probably ripped through quite a few myself...but honestly, they were just a teeny bit...laddish. Lots of heroic and noble sacrifices, nice clear boundaries between good and evil, negligible sex (if any, tbh|).
looked those up and saved- thanks :)

His fight writing is gold standard, really. The rest may be a little by the numbers but he writes a good fight and a good battle. If you've you've read half a dozen you've read them all. I loved him bitd

the fantasy I first thought of that fits the request- including the weighty tomeness - is low fantasy like Watership Down or Duncton Moles. Duncton Moles books are weird and dark and completely worth it.

There's David Edding's Belgariad stuff which I mock today but I can still remember the main character's name 20 years later. And the name of his order of knights.

Stephen Lawhead's Silver Hand cycle and the Pendragon cycle.

A second recommendation for David Eddings, Belgariad and Malorean series. The Sparhawk books , Diamond Throne etc are also good.

Saved- can't buy him too may new series as he will need to read the ones already purchased and Raymond E Heist has a confusing amount of series but reckon we should be fine for a while- I am forcing him into the occasional Agatha Christie though.
In terms of detective fiction have you tried the moonstone? Could also do the mask of dimitrios - Eric ambler wrote some more excellent novels. Also the supernatural detectives like carnacki the ghost finder

In terms of detective fiction have you tried the moonstone? Could also do the mask of dimitrios - Eric ambler wrote some more excellent novels. Also the supernatural detectives like carnacki the ghost finder
The Moonstone is brilliant but he likes to rebel against his parents' reading-no ghosts, vampires or Victorian Gothic is permitted. Little shit.

Back
Top Bottom