Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fantasy book recommendations- with no sex!

cyberfairy

http://unicycle-emptiness.co.uk/
I have a precocious ten year old who loves epic Fantasy sagas- has read all the Wheel of Time books and want to get him some similar books but ones which don't contain sex, thus Game of Thrones can't be read for another year- any ideas?

Dragonlance Chronicles? I mean, they're not great literature :D but I was all about them when I was 10.
Thanks! Are they for adults? Precocious Mc Precocious Face will only read adult books with a million pages. It sucks taking him out for a walk with the stupid book weighing me down and I get the dirty looks when I am sat looking at shit on the internet

I'm tempted to mention the Riftwar series by Raymond Feist, the first being Magician whose main protagonist is (at least begins as) a kid.

There's my starter for 10 :thumbs:
He has read all the Riftwar series, know there are more books by the author though- costs a fucking fortune when you have to buy the books in order rather than search charity shops etc

Inter-library loans? Used to be free/v cheap for kids.
He only reads adult books, have checked and only a few books by Raymond E Heist available sadly. Annoys me that old books just vanish from libraries but guess that a different topic!

the fantasy I first thought of that fits the request- including the weighty tomeness - is low fantasy like Watership Down or Duncton Moles. Duncton Moles books are weird and dark and completely worth it.

There's David Edding's Belgariad stuff which I mock today but I can still remember the main character's name 20 years later. And the name of his order of knights.

Stephen Lawhead's Silver Hand cycle and the Pendragon cycle.

the fantasy I first thought of that fits the request- including the weighty tomeness - is low fantasy like Watership Down or Duncton Moles. Duncton Moles books are weird and dark and completely worth it.

There's David Edding's Belgariad stuff which I mock today but I can still remember the main character's name 20 years later. And the name of his order of knights.

Stephen Lawhead's Silver Hand cycle and the Pendragon cycle.
David Eddings is a good shout- thanks, remember a friend being obsessed with his books, Will look up Stephen Lawhead too :)

I have a precocious ten year old who loves epic Fantasy sagas- has read all the Wheel of Time books and want to get him some similar books but ones which don't contain sex, thus Game of Thrones can't be read for another year- any ideas?
i suppose you've done his dark materials. have you tried the rising of the dark sequence?

Fletcher Pratt and David Eddings now purchased- can't buy anymore as he will need to read ALL the books- many thanks :)

Well, R A Sa;lvatore has written some right shit but I find myself recommending the Dark Elf series (much loved by my youngest (adult) offspring. Also, Martin Scott's Thraxus series is amusing. C.J.Cherryh is madly prolific and her fantasy stuff can be iffy...but, your lad might enjoy the Morgaine cycle, Also Faded Sun, The Paladin. I always loved Sherry Tepper's True Game books (and check out the remarkable 'Grass'. Ah, Guy Gavriel Kay has done a lot of decent stuff (especially Tigana, and the Fionava trilogy. Robin Hobb and Sara Douglass are much loved authors.
I have ploughed through vast realms of this stuff (all my offspring are keen of the whole SF/Fantasy genre) and can, no doubt, come up with quite a few more.

Oh, although probably not adult, Alan Garner was a fave of mine while D-i-L is much enamoured of Neil Gaiman's output.

Well, R A Sa;lvatore has written some right shit but I find myself recommending the Dark Elf series (much loved by my youngest (adult) offspring. Also, Martin Scott's Thraxus series is amusing. C.J.Cherryh is madly prolific and her fantasy stuff can be iffy...but, your lad might enjoy the Morgaine cycle, Also Faded Sun, The Paladin. I always loved Sherry Tepper's True Game books (and check out the remarkable 'Grass'. Ah, Guy Gavriel Kay has done a lot of decent stuff (especially Tigana, and the Fionava trilogy. Robin Hobb and Sara Douglass are much loved authors.
I have ploughed through vast realms of this stuff (all my offspring are keen of the whole SF/Fantasy genre) and can, no doubt, come up with quite a few more.

Oh, although probably not adult, Alan Garner was a fave of mine while D-i-L is much enamoured of Neil Gaiman's output.
Just bought The Darkness at the end of the World- kid not keen on Sci-fi- more Fantasy but will definitely be using your tips- Thraxis books written by Martin Millar, him of the lovely fantasy hippy books :)

Do you mean The Dark is Rising? That is quite good. Also Box of Delights. But they’re straying away from fantasy a bit.
yeh you're quite right - i had half in mind the drawing of the dark by tim powers which is good, can't recall if there's any sex in it tho.

i don't think the dark is rising is straying that far from fantasy - if his dark materials can be (and is) regarded as fantasy, then so much more the dark is rising, with its merlin and magic and mythology coming to life.

Back
Top Bottom