Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook just bought WhatsApp for $16 billion!

That problem is fairly easily solved by inviting people!

Took long enough to get people I know to use whatsapp and that was mostly driven by being places with poor phone signal which had wifi. I'm sure I want/need to have multiple messaging programs.

If you want a an encrypted secure alternative, why not use one that's proven - BBM?

Version 2.0 is out for Android and IIS now, seems completely stable and runs beautifully on my missus's Xperia Z Compact.

I'm probably pissing in the rain, but I'm a huge fan of the software, it's easily the best messaging app out there.

Last edited:
Desktop client?

Does WhatsApp have one? Telegram doesn't have wi-fi calling, groups, channels, proven security, and all the other great things about BBM.

Anyway, I'm not out to persuade anyone here, so enjoy your choice of app, as I do mine :)

Last edited:
ive installed this telegram thing - can someone reassure me that it's not in anyway dodgy/malware/virus/whatever they use to fuck your phone up? Please.

I just installed Telegram, but it wouldn't send me the code I needed to activate it. I'm guessing it's overwhelmed at the moment.

The Russian founder of Telegram seems an interesting chap, after starting the the Russian equivalent of Facebook he claims to have made enough money to see Telegram as a "giving back" app.

What makes these things particularly cunty is the fact that they are interpersonal; it's not just a decision you make on your own. Facebook already retains a large chunk of its users basically because people they know use Facebook to organise social events and generally communicate. Their move with Whatsapp was entirely predictable on that basis - are you going to not talk to people just because your phone data is now going to be assimilated by the Faceborg?

Is it not more because in the Internet age people over share their info, which is the data they want, and people volunteer for free?

I find it shocking that people will talk about stuff online that they wouldn't tell their friends or parents about and that info gets assimilated to push ads to. And they. Dont. Even. Realise.

Is it not more because in the Internet age people over share their info, which is the data they want, and people volunteer for free?

I find it shocking that people will talk about stuff online that they wouldn't tell their friends or parents about and that info gets assimilated to push ads to. And they. Dont. Even. Realise.
It's not connected to what you want to tell people - you literally cannot use this without giving away data that will allow FB to track your browsing habits and general behaviour, which is how they make money. What you post on FB is pretty irrelevant. FB is only interested in that as far as it encourages your friends to stay on the network.

Telegram is problematic too, unfortunately.

We need more techno-anarchists like Moxie Marlinspike who produce apps like Signal.

Signal is meant to be the recommended secure messaging app these days.

Secure Messaging Scorecard
Telegram's secret chats are as secure too, and it has the bonus of an excellent desktop app. It's hard enough persuading people to use Telegram so I've got no chance of getting many people to switch to Signal. Besides, I don't need the highest level of security.

Back
Top Bottom